RD Hunter Brzustewicz - Kitchener Rangers, WHL (2023, 75th, VAN; traded to CAL)

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I want to prefix by saying my on ice opinion of Hunter stays the same:

1. Very good vision with the puck
2. I have my doubts in regards to his skating and play without the puck for him to be an NHL regular.
3. I had the same doubts that has been since proven wrong from fellow Canuck draftee Gustav Forsling

Having said all that , I wish there was more fight with Hunter. He seems to be wanting to take the easy way out every time.

Since he signed his ELC with the Flames, it has since been reported that the Canucks were given an indication that Hunter wasnt keen on signing with them because he didnt feel he had a path of opportunity with the team with the likes of Q Hughes and Hronek on the big club and Willander being a top RD prospect. Hunter in an interview also said he feels much much more confident that he will get an opportunity with the Flames rather than in Van.

I'm not a big fan of this. Where is his sense of competition and alpha mentality.

There were reports a couple of years ago that Hunter left the USNDT team to go to Kitchener because he couldnt beat out the likes of Seamus Casey, Ryan Chesley, Lane Hutson for the more prime opportunities with the team. He bolted to Kitchener.

Anyways, i really hope this isnt his mentality where he just wants to always take the easier path. What happens if he cant beat out Rasmus Anderson or Weegar or Poirier/Morin? is he going to want to bolt again?

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

2. I have my doubts in regards to his skating and play without the puck for him to be an NHL regular.
3. I had the same doubts that has been since proven wrong from fellow Canuck draftee Gustav Forsling

Having said all that , I wish there was more fight with Hunter. He seems to be wanting to take the easy way out every time.

Since he signed his ELC with the Flames, it has since been reported that the Canucks were given an indication that Hunter wasnt keen on signing with them because he didnt feel he had a path of opportunity with the team with the likes of Q Hughes and Hronek on the big club and Willander being a top RD prospect. Hunter in an interview also said he feels much much more confident that he will get an opportunity with the Flames rather than in Van.

I'm not a big fan of this. Where is his sense of competition and alpha mentality.

There were reports a couple of years ago that Hunter left the USNDT team to go to Kitchener because he couldnt beat out the likes of Seamus Casey, Ryan Chesley, Lane Hutson for the more prime opportunities with the team. He bolted to Kitchener.

Anyways, i really hope this isnt his mentality where he just wants to always take the easier path. What happens if he cant beat out Rasmus Anderson or Weegar or Poirier/Morin? is he going to want to bolt again?

He's lucky Sutter isn't here anymore. He wouldn't make it past training camp before requesting a trade.

Weegar usually plays LD so he only needs to beat Pachal and Miromanov for ice time. We also don't have any great defensive prospects that should be blocking him (Poirier and Morin are LD) so he'll get plenty of time in the AHL. Hopefully he grows up and learns to compete more but I don't expect more than a 2nd pair guy if everything goes right.

Reactions: Szechwan

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

lol alpha mentality
Maybe send him your Andrew Tate tapes, help him out

Sounds like a young man that wants to do what is his best for his career. A career worth potentially millions of dollars. For a lot of guys in this league half of what they're going to be is the opportunity they can find for themselves. If the Flames present him with a better opportunity than the Canucks then why wouldn't he be happier with a better opportunity?

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
There's a line between consistently looking for the easy way out & being smart about trying to put yourself in a situation to succeed.

I don't think its fair to say Hunter has gotten to the point of this being the former. IIRC all the reports from Dhaliwal was that a contract was going to get done here at some point.

If the Canucks had held onto him I think he would've signed, atleast that was always my impression. That said the idea he didn't see an opportunity here isn't surprising, I felt the same way tbh which is why I felt it was a good idea to use him as a trade chip given he raised his stock. Its nothing about him as a person or player, just realities of the league.

He seems to be in a good spot in Calgary, and his improved stock allowed us to improve our roster this season + flexibility next season. Win-win for everyone.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
lol alpha mentality

Sounds like a young man that wants to do what is his best for his career. A career worth potentially millions of dollars. For a lot of guys in this league half of what they're going to be is the opportunity they can find for themselves. If the Flames present him with a better opportunity than the Canucks then why wouldn't he be happier with a better opportunity?

So is Calgary not allowed to draft anymore offensive minded Dman in fear that Hunter wont see this as a positive path on whats best for his career?

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
So is Calgary not allowed to draft anymore offensive minded Dman in fear that Hunter wont see this as a positive path on whats best for his career?

They've signed him to a entry contract. So unless he wants to push for a mutual termination or another trade he really doesn't have a lot of a choice if he wants to play in the NHL. There's going to be spots available sooner rather than later on the Flames, they're playing multiple waiver pickups on their blueline right now. They really haven't had a competent PP QB since Giordano left.

It's my opinion that they should hold off drafting any more offensive dmen at least in the higher rounds anyway because they've got Morin, Poirier, and now Brzustewicz in their system. That might not sit well with the BPA over everything people but unless they see a guy with great #1D potential I think those picks can be better utilized.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
There is enough evidence to come to the conclusion that that is likely his rationale in charting his career. But is there anything wrong with that? once his foot is in the door, its millions of dollars winfall. As long as he doesnt take the easier route and never attack the middle, or challenge a forward directly its not going affect what he is as a player. There is still a ways before fans can label him the next PLD.

DollardStLaurent

May 15, 2014
Don't understand all the buzz about Hunter Brzustewicz and nary a peep about Luca Cagnoni. Their stats are nearly identical.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
lol alpha mentality

Can you guys stop booing Fox then anytime the Rangers play at the Saddledome?

Anyway, I doubt this is actually true. Makes no sense that a CHL player would refuse to sign. That almost never happens. This isn’t a situation of an NCAA player refusing to sign. CHL players don’t have the same leverage.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024

He also dipped out on Michigan to duck the comp there of Luke Hughes and Seamus Casey and play against 16 year olds.

Concerning trend

• Haha
Reactions: Bounces R Way

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Can you guys stop booing Fox then anytime the Rangers play at the Saddledome?

Anyway, I doubt this is actually true. Makes no sense that a CHL player would refuse to sign. That almost never happens. This isn’t a situation of an NCAA player refusing to sign. CHL players don’t have the same leverage.

They don't really ask me but no probably not. Doughty still gets booed every time he touches the puck at the Dome and he didn't even really do anything to us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad