RD David Jiricek (2022, 6th, CBJ)

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I'm a huge fan of Jiricek and I'm puzzled by the way the Jackets are yo-yoing this kid. Are they intentionally trying to frustrate or ruin him? If this kid doesn't make the show full-time out of camp next year, I think he'll end up requesting a trade.

Reactions: Czechboy

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm a huge fan of Jiricek and I'm puzzled by the way the Jackets are yo-yoing this kid. Are they intentionally trying to frustrate or ruin him? If this kid doesn't make the show full-time out of camp next year, I think he'll end up requesting a trade.

This was his first call up in months.

I'm trying to imagine another team where folks would have this type of hysterical reaction when a prospect is called up for a game, and I can't think of one.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

I like Jiricek as well but he's not quite NHL ready and honestly wasn't very good when playing in the NHL. I think the frustration comes from when the Bluejackets apparently kinda promised him a spot and told him to get a place just to eventually send him down. If that story is true then I can understand his frustration. I also agree that he shouldn't have been called up. Let him finish this season in Cleveland and give him a fair chance to make the Bluejackets next season.

Reactions: Czechboy

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I like Jiricek as well but he's not quite NHL ready and honestly wasn't very good when playing in the NHL. I think the frustration comes from when the Bluejackets apparently kinda promised him a spot and told him to get a place just to eventually send him down. If that story is true then I can understand his frustration. I also agree that he shouldn't have been called up. Let him finish this season in Cleveland and give him a fair chance to make the Bluejackets next season.

It's not, at least according to John Davidson.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015

I'm trying to imagine another team where folks would have this type of hysterical reaction when a prospect is called up for a game, and I can't think of one.
People were also laughing at the Habs for keeping Slafkovsky in the NHL while he was struggling to find his game. People are hysterical you are right.

Everyone expect every 19 years old players to be dominant out of the gate... these guys aren't 22 yo coming out of Europe or NCAA...

You need to give these very young and talented player some time to adjust.

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
People were also laughing at the Habs for keeping Slafkovsky in the NHL while he was struggling to find his game. People are hysterical you are right.

Everyone expect every 19 years old players to be dominant out of the gate... these guys aren't 22 yo coming out of Europe or NCAA...

You need to give these very young and talented player some time to adjust.
True, at the same time we czechs dont exactly have time for this. Our numbers in NHL grows thinner every year. We are down to like what 15-16 skaters this season, and how many of them are actually a top 6 forwards or top 4 defenders?

We need those young promising guys asap sadly, or our hockey goes to bordeline clinical death. Its sad, but its reality.

Reactions: jfhabs

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

23 straight games in Cleveland must not have been enough. *shrug*

Reactions: majormajor

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
How similar are David and his brother ? What differences in their games are their ? Where will they project long term ? Thanks

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
How similar are David and his brother ? What differences in their games are their ? Where will they project long term ? Thanks

Adam is a great skater, more fluid stride. But he's very thin at this point. A bigger issue is that his decision making has been questioned in the Czech league, which never came up with David. Adam doesn't have David's shot, not even close. David has a great shot, slapper or wrister. Adam can't seem to shoot properly.

David's skating is not good. He's not filled out in his legs or his core yet, and still looks like bambi from time to time. His back skating is iffy on the rush. I would say in his zone he is already a solid NHL caliber defender, with a lot of upside there. Very strong in the upper body with good anticipation and a long reach. He can also make great small area passes or dangles to get the puck out of trouble. His offensive game will really get unlocked when he gets better at walking the line, his passing and shooting arsenal from the point is A+. If he improves walking the blue line, and gets stronger on his feet, cleans up the skating a little bit, he's a top pair RD, maybe a #1 PPQB.

With Adam he's 6'2 168 and is losing most of the year with a leg injury. It's a long term play with him, where you hope he fills out well, learns how to shoot, learns how to make more calm decisions on the breakout. There is a lot of potential but also a lot more risk, so I expect teams won't take him until pick #20 or so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad