RD Conor Timmins (2017, 32nd, COL; traded to ARI)

Buchnevich

Jan 6, 2017
I have a feeling either Timmins or Brannstrom will be a Ranger

I have that feeling as well. Wouldn't be too surprised if we take Yamamoto if he's on the board either. Timmins will probably be the best RHD available when we select though.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
How's his skating?

I think it's sluggish and pretty ugly in the footwork department. I'm less high on him than others, so grain of salt, but it's not hard for me to see it being exploited at the next level: through the NZ, in d-zone coverage, against an NHL forecheck transitioning the puck (though he's a good passer).

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
What does your top 5 d-men list look like?

Heiskanen Timmins top 2 (only dmen in top 10), next tier is Brannstrom/Makar/Liljegren/Valimaki/Hague. Still haven't finalized my 2nd tier but i'm very high on Brannstrom.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Heiskanen Timmins top 2 (only dmen in top 10), next tier is Brannstrom/Makar/Liljegren/Valimaki/Hague. Still haven't finalized my 2nd tier but i'm very high on Brannstrom.

Wow I like that. I have him 3rd behind Heiskanen and Makar but i like hearing others who have him so high as well

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden

I like Timmins but he's in the ~20 range for me i think.

I got Brännström as the #1 D-man in the draft and in my top 5 ;P

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY

Interesting, thanks. Haven't seen Timmins that high anywhere, but I do really like him, and honestly I think Heiskanen is the only d-man that has separated himself from the pack, so they're all fair game. I really like Brannstrom as well.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I came away very very impressed with Max Gildon at the views forvTeam USA ...My top 2 targets for the Hawks at #26 woluld be Gildon then Timmins ...if Timmins off the board earlier then my preferred choice may still be there ..I know Central Scouting had Gildon as only #54 NA skater. .but that came out before the u18s where he showed he coukl be actually the best D-man to come out of this draft ..Check the boxes...size ...reach ..skating ability forwards and backwards..heavy shot ...you get the feeling he is just scratching the surface of a vast potential ...He will get even bigger and stronger ..development potential is awesome in my opinion..I think Central Scouting way way off on where to rank him...easily first rounder material ...I undrstand his first half was not so impressive and thus why he may have been kept down in the rankings. .but his development seemed to get a lot better as the seasom progressed to the point that at the u18s he really stood out and starred in my book on an otherwise meh draft class of eligibles from that team for this year ...Their other starring D-man who will be a high pick next draft in the 2018 draft is an obvious talent for that draft..but we are talking the 2017 D-man crop ...Anyway I like both Timmins and Gildon ...both play RD though Timmins is a natural being a Right Shot ...Gildon is a Left shot who played RD for Team USA at the W-18s.

Reactions: Fantomas

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Gildon has weak hockey IQ and struggles a lot defensively. Good tools and size tho.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
If all the dman go off the board as expected, I'm hoping the Leafs draft him at 17 over Hague and Foote.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
A nice review on Canucks Army on Conor Timmins:

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/05/31/nation-network-2017-prospect-profiles-39-conor-timmins/

So, why isn’t a high-scoring, smart, puck-moving defender not projected as either safer or higher than we or pGPS place him?

The biggest issue is age. Timmins missed the 2016 NHL Entry Draft by 3 days. Age is a huge variable to account for in a prospects development. Scoring at a particular rate as a 17-year-old in junior is worlds apart from putting up the same pace at 20-years-old. Look no further than how many high-scoring overage junior players struggle to play the AHL, let alone the NHL.

Just one small quote but lots of solid content in this article.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Is it possible he's playing his way onto Team Canada? 19 points in his last 14 games. 26 points in 23 games so far on the season. Had a couple of beauties last night .

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Yeah he scored two very nice goals, I was impressed. His skating still needs work though. His footwork is pretty ugly and edges are not very good but his puck moving skills make up for that a bit, which is why he isn’t struggling at the OHL level defensively as much. The issue will be the transition to the NHL/AHL.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Ironic that a team that needs lefties drafts 2 righties :P
Joe obviously knew that Girard & Zadorov would lock down the left side of the team's top 4 for the next decade and so focused instead on the side where EJ will turn 30 before the season ends and Barrie's contract only has two seasons past this one ;-)

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Time to give him some love. Even though Cake stole the thunder, for my money Connor is the best player on TC at the WJC. Carried a lot of weight and came out on top in vast majority of situations. Excellent prospect.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
He's a tournament leading +12 as well, and the next closes is I believe +9...

I know +/- isn't a great stat, but it's still pretty telling when the guy has been on the ice for 13 goals for, and just 1 goal against at even strength.

He's supposed to be a high end offensive Dman and that part of his game is blatantly evident with what he's don in The Soo this season. But it's been his Defensive game that is really opening the eyes of a lot of people in this tournament. Being thrust into a lot of different situations and some difficult minutes and not only handling them well, but excelling in the role. Oh yeah, and he still has 4 points in 6 games in the tournament as well.

As an Avs fan I was a big fan of the pick right from day 1. It says a lot when the team, with the 32nd pick in the draft(First pick of day 2), takes a guy like Timmins as a Puck moving RHD after already taking a puck moving RHD with the #4 pick in the draft, and having Erik Johnson, and Tyson Barrie manning the fort on the Right Side in the NHL already.

They could have easily looked at taking a LHD like Hague with that pick instead, or perhaps one of those high upside forwards that were still available in the draft at that time like Lind, Boqvist, Heponiemi, etc. etc. Or even looked to trade the pick while other teams would have had ample time over night to re-evalute the draft for Day 2 and Zero in on a guy they really wanted to get.

Instead they clearly took the guy they thought was the BPA and stuck to their guns so to speak. And it's looking like it could pay off massively for the Avs.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I was hoping the Blues would take Timmins @31 if they didn't select Kostin. Conor is a great prospect and he's been nothing but impressive this WJC. Congrats avs fans, I think you guys have a real gem on your hands!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad