RD Bode Wilde (2018, 41st, NYI)

scott99

May 13, 2005
No, he showed an extremely low hockey IQ with the NTDP. He was constantly making poor decisions and had poor positioning. Sometimes he would just be hanging out in the offensive zone below the circle, not even involved in the play, and would get caught up ice. Other times he would be rushing up ice attempting to forecheck while the play was headed back the other way, leaving his defensive partner high and dry. He was brutal to watch defensively at times.

Interesting comments from you. Many of the experts agree that he can be careless at times, but their opinions are mostly extremely favorable.

Bode Wilde's Player Profile

Craig Button - TSN - April 28: "He has all of the physical skills to be capable of making an impact. "

Sam Cosentino - SportsNet - April 28: "Big shot, wild pony who is a bit risky even for those who enjoy the new-aged defencemen. Uses size to add bite to his game."

Steve Kournianos - SportingNews/The Draft Analys - April 28: "A thoroughbred puck mover who likes to live on the edge with his reads, Wilde has the skills to become one of the top players taken from this draft. Some question his ability to defend, but Wilde has proven he knows how to do it when it's asked of him. He's only a tweak or two away from becoming his generation's version of Scott Niedermayer."

Cam Robinson - DobberProspects - April 26: "Terrific skater who owns a big shot and offers strong play in the offensive end. Can step up and make a big hit, but is also guilty of poor decision-making. A high ceiling player with some risk."

Peter Harling - DobberProspects - Mar. 3rd: "A big and fluid skating defenseman. He lacks the ceiling of many of the other defensemen in the draft offensively, but he plays a solid defensive and physical game that has a very high ceiling and probability of translating to the NHL. "

Wilde is a big, two-way difference–maker on the back-end…a big kid that is also a real solid skater…transitions smoothly…passes the puck with authority and accuracy…has a booming slap shot from the point that he can unleash in a hurry…he can be a real catalyst on the power play…shows nice leadership skills…calm puck handling, rarely displaying panic under pressure…generates time and space by using body positioning…uses his big frame to step into opponents and shut them down physically…closes the gap, seals off along the boards and eliminates time and space - Aaron Vickers, Future Considerations

Big, thick defensemen that look graceful while carrying the puck simply don’t grow on trees, and you’d probably hear more about him if his draft year wasn’t loaded with cornerstone-type defenders. Wilde is one confident teenager, maybe sometimes to a fault, as doing “too much” with the puck is something he’ll have to limit. Especially considering how talented the NTDP forwards are. Still, he is perfectly capable of playing a variety of roles with aplomb — power play quarterback, crease-clearer on the penalty kill, and even neutralizing top opponents. Wilde loves to hammer the disc thanks to a heavy shot, and he has the ability to either create his own shot from up high or finish in a speed rush to the net. Once he crosses center, he is as close to the complete package as they come, and his size and right-handed shot make him an extremely tantalizing prospect with star potential. Wilde’s risk taking can put his mates in jeopardy, so you’d like to see him go through stretches when he puts a premium on sound positioning, and is willing to refrain from deep attacks every single shift. - Steve Kournianos, The Draft Analyst
Bode Wilde is a talented and competitive defender that plays a tenacious 200-foot game. His balance and acceleration in-stride is noteworthy and he is never caught in no-man’s land, or doing nothing. He is proactive and hard-nosed in pursuit if puck control, and he reads queues in all three zones naturally and quickly. Defensively, he is a beast and always looks to take time and space away from the opposition. He erases the open lane, keeps opponents to the outside, and is physical along the wall. In-transition, he is able to make that outlet pass or, more than likely, take it up himself to set up the trap. Offensively, he showcases a very hard, accurate shot that leaps off his stick. He can also open up space by way of his skating ability, size, and handling of the puck. Thanks to his quick thinking in making the high-percentage decision, he can be very difficult to read and play against. All-in-all, Wilde is a smart, competitive, and sizey two-way D-man that can provide a team with numbers on the board and stability on the ice. – Elite Prospects

Interestingly enough, the few times I've seen Wilde play, it's the "calm puck handler" part I bolded in Aaron Vickers scouting report, is what I noticed. I mainly watched him during the WU18 tournament, and though he didn't score any points, it was the low panic threshold (or "calm puck handler") part was what jumped out at me. Maybe I didn't get a big enough sample size, but I really liked what I saw. He was very calm when under attack, and that was something that really impressed me.

In fact, on the Isle's message board, I mentioned after the U18 tournament, I'd be fine with us taking him at 12 (under the assumption that Dobson, Bouchard and the smaller offensive dmen were gone). I'm thrilled the Isles got him at 41.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
If he makes the Islanders, he’ll most likely play behind Pulock and Dobson, so it’s not like he’s going to be asked to play 20+ minutes a game, which I think makes it a calculated risk for NYI.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If Wilde cleans up his mistakes, he'll play minutes ahead of those players. If he doesn't, probably a guy who moves around teams because he's so talented, but can't stick anywhere.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
If Wilde cleans up his mistakes, he'll play minutes ahead of those players. If he doesn't, probably a guy who moves around teams because he's so talented, but can't stick anywhere.

He's more likely to be the latter in my opinion. That doesn't mean the Islanders can't get a few good years out of him, however.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Interesting comments from you. Many of the experts agree that he can be careless at times, but their opinions are mostly extremely favorable.

Craig Button - TSN - April 28: "He has all of the physical skills to be capable of making an impact. "

Sam Cosentino - SportsNet - April 28: "Big shot, wild pony who is a bit risky even for those who enjoy the new-aged defencemen. Uses size to add bite to his game."

Steve Kournianos - SportingNews/The Draft Analys - April 28: "A thoroughbred puck mover who likes to live on the edge with his reads, Wilde has the skills to become one of the top players taken from this draft. Some question his ability to defend, but Wilde has proven he knows how to do it when it's asked of him. He's only a tweak or two away from becoming his generation's version of Scott Niedermayer."

Cam Robinson - DobberProspects - April 26: "Terrific skater who owns a big shot and offers strong play in the offensive end. Can step up and make a big hit, but is also guilty of poor decision-making. A high ceiling player with some risk."

Peter Harling - DobberProspects - Mar. 3rd: "A big and fluid skating defenseman. He lacks the ceiling of many of the other defensemen in the draft offensively, but he plays a solid defensive and physical game that has a very high ceiling and probability of translating to the NHL. "

Wilde is a big, two-way difference–maker on the back-end…a big kid that is also a real solid skater…transitions smoothly…passes the puck with authority and accuracy…has a booming slap shot from the point that he can unleash in a hurry…he can be a real catalyst on the power play…shows nice leadership skills…calm puck handling, rarely displaying panic under pressure…generates time and space by using body positioning…uses his big frame to step into opponents and shut them down physically…closes the gap, seals off along the boards and eliminates time and space - Aaron Vickers, Future Considerations

Big, thick defensemen that look graceful while carrying the puck simply don’t grow on trees, and you’d probably hear more about him if his draft year wasn’t loaded with cornerstone-type defenders. Wilde is one confident teenager, maybe sometimes to a fault, as doing “too much” with the puck is something he’ll have to limit. Especially considering how talented the NTDP forwards are. Still, he is perfectly capable of playing a variety of roles with aplomb — power play quarterback, crease-clearer on the penalty kill, and even neutralizing top opponents. Wilde loves to hammer the disc thanks to a heavy shot, and he has the ability to either create his own shot from up high or finish in a speed rush to the net. Once he crosses center, he is as close to the complete package as they come, and his size and right-handed shot make him an extremely tantalizing prospect with star potential. Wilde’s risk taking can put his mates in jeopardy, so you’d like to see him go through stretches when he puts a premium on sound positioning, and is willing to refrain from deep attacks every single shift. - Steve Kournianos, The Draft Analyst
Bode Wilde is a talented and competitive defender that plays a tenacious 200-foot game. His balance and acceleration in-stride is noteworthy and he is never caught in no-man’s land, or doing nothing. He is proactive and hard-nosed in pursuit if puck control, and he reads queues in all three zones naturally and quickly. Defensively, he is a beast and always looks to take time and space away from the opposition. He erases the open lane, keeps opponents to the outside, and is physical along the wall. In-transition, he is able to make that outlet pass or, more than likely, take it up himself to set up the trap. Offensively, he showcases a very hard, accurate shot that leaps off his stick. He can also open up space by way of his skating ability, size, and handling of the puck. Thanks to his quick thinking in making the high-percentage decision, he can be very difficult to read and play against. All-in-all, Wilde is a smart, competitive, and sizey two-way D-man that can provide a team with numbers on the board and stability on the ice. – Elite Prospects

Interestingly enough, the few times I've seen Wilde play, it's the "calm puck handler" part I bolded in Aaron Vickers scouting report, is what I noticed. I mainly watched him during the WU18 tournament, and though he didn't score any points, it was the low panic threshold (or "calm puck handler") part was what jumped out at me. Maybe I didn't get a big enough sample size, but I really liked what I saw. He was very calm when under attack, and that was something that really impressed me.

In fact, on the Isle's message board, I mentioned after the U18 tournament, I'd be fine with us taking him at 12 (under the assumption that Dobson, Bouchard and the smaller offensive dmen were gone). I'm thrilled the Isles got him at 41.

I've never seen a negative scouting report. The defense lapses are a concern and you can't teach smarts. I hope he ends up a good one, but, for expectation purposes I've got this kid labeled as a long shot hoping he proves otherwise.

ookhaab

Jun 8, 2016

Is that the first time you have ever read a scouting report? They are usually only positive.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
If he makes the Islanders, he’ll most likely play behind Pulock and Dobson, so it’s not like he’s going to be asked to play 20+ minutes a game, which I think makes it a calculated risk for NYI.

Dobson has played both left and right side it seems in the past couple years so if Wilde and Pulock both prove they are worthy of being top 4 guys my guess is Dobson will play on the left hand side(that or split between left and right).

scott99

May 13, 2005
Is that the first time you have ever read a scouting report? They are usually only positive.
There’s plenty negative in there. But are we only to believe the negative and disbelieve the positive ? There’s a lot of truth in the positive parts that I’ve seen while watching him play.

ookhaab

Jun 8, 2016
There’s plenty negative in there. But are we only to believe the negative and disbelieve the positive ? There’s a lot of truth in the positive parts that I’ve seen while watching him play.

Not necessarily, but negatives usually outweight the positives.

Being calm under pressure for example wont make him an NHLer, but stuff like "makes risky plays" or "guilty of poor decision-makin" can be the major reason he never sees NHL.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Not necessarily, but negatives usually outweight the positives.

Being calm under pressure for example wont make him an NHLer, but stuff like "makes risky plays" or "guilty of poor decision-makin" can be the major reason he never sees NHL.
Subban was guilty of the same most of his junior career, didnt stop him from becoming a HOF D.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
In the world where two norris winners ever have not made the HOF.
Pretty sure he is gonna be a HOF member. It sucks but now I have to bump this comment like 10+ years from now :(

Don't get me wrong, Subban is awesome and he's one of my favourite non-leafs but he doesn't have a HOF resume.
Maybe if he is a huge contributor to a Cup it would become an option but as of today, no chance.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Carlson never won the Norris? Brent Burns should be.
You're right. My bad I thought he did.
Regardless, we'll have to agree to disagree on whether winning a Norris means an in to the Hall since we're derailing this thread.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
So many here are trying to revise history. Wilde was one of the best players in his draft year last season. He has one of the highest ceilings in the past draft. He has a higher than usual amount of bust potential because of his profile, but so do a number of players.

I don't know why so many try to paint this guy in a negative light. He dropped because NHL teams are dumb, he had a bad tournament at the "biggest tournament" that NHL teams watch for draft-eligible players and he switched at the last second from college hockey to junior hockey for next season.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
he switched at the last second from college hockey to junior hockey for next season.

During the draft they mentioned something about Wilde that he had a questionable problems outside of the game. If it's a case that teams might be scared he didn't qualify for college that would have to be the dumbest of reasons to not draft him

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I don't know why so many try to paint this guy in a negative light. He dropped because NHL teams are dumb, he had a bad tournament at the "biggest tournament" that NHL teams watch for draft-eligible players and he switched at the last second from college hockey to junior hockey for next season.

Or he dropped simply because he's bad defensively. Wilde has lots of offensive talent, but unless he gets a lot smarter regarding how he plays, he will be responsible for a lot more goals entering his own net than his opponent's net at the highest levels. Some of the mistakes he made were inexcusable for a player at his level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad