RD Bode Wilde (2018, 41st, NYI)

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
You cant make fun of someone because hes black?

Kevin Hart is probably quite the racist at the rate he makes fun of himself.

Lol. I said it was juvenile. It is juvenile. e.g. childish. I made no claim about your intention. But I think the fact that there are maybe 30 black players in the league merits some consideration against doing that. And the comparison is bad, because K'Andre Miller obviously doesn't post on the Habs board.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I could see if the nickname had some type of overtones that were related to racist words, themes or misappropriation.

This is just literally a play on words to describe how we didnt want to draft him. just like we named Brady, Brady TkaSuck.
Ukrainian people have suffered enough, man. Theyre untouchables.

Last edited:

scott99

May 13, 2005
Very happy with the Wilde pick by the Islanders. I would've been ok with Wilde with the Isle's 2nd first round pick (at 12), but that was under the assumption guys like Dobson would have been gone (I thought he would be at 12). I watched him at the U18 tournament, and though he didn't score any points, I was very impressed with his play. I know people are knocking his hockey IQ, but I loved how he played, seemed to have a great panic threshold (kept his cool when under attack on the fore check), good size and speed, and loved his intensity as well (good hitter). I was thrilled he was available at 41. Hopefully he has a great year at Saginaw, and changes the US team to take him to the WJC (he wasn't invited to the pre tournament camp a few weeks ago).

As far as K'Andre Miller, I was very impressed with him as well. I think he's going to be a good one. Certainly has a lot of tools to work with.

Reactions: PWJunior and dano16

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Lol. I said it was juvenile. It is juvenile. e.g. childish. I made no claim about your intention. But I think the fact that there are maybe 30 black players in the league merits some consideration against doing that. And the comparison is bad, because K'Andre Miller obviously doesn't post on the Habs board.
You said "juvenile at best" implying it could be deemed as worse, and also implied it was racist by mentioning the whole thing about black players, as you have done again here with some kind of non sequitur into how there aren't many black players, which has no relevance to giving him a nickname about his deficiencies as a prospect.

You also sent me a PM telling me to "grow up" and that I was "beyond my depth" and should "work on making better trade threads" (I have 3 trade proposals in my entire history btw) when I called your previous post out for being ridiculous. So I'd say if anyone is acting juvenile or childish, it's you.

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto

Giving black players special treatment seems racist. Fans make plays on players names all the time without thinking about there race (as they should). Your opinion is hilarious.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Giving black players special treatment seems racist. Fans make plays on players names all the time without thinking about there race (as they should). Your opinion is hilarious.

Agreed

I have the odd theory that the people who actually point it out are kind of racist. My mind doesn’t work like that at all. At no point when I saw “K’antplay” did I think about him being black. I just thought it was a knock on his game.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
This has London Knights written all over it. Lou Lam sent Hunter back to London to make sure it happened. Wilde will be properly groomed into an elite d-man for many years to come.

I dont think hes going to the Knights but even if he did I wouldnt have my hopes up for him if I were an Isles fan. Who was the last good dman to come out of London? Mete looks decent but nothing special really, same with Maataa. Harrington seems like hes trending towards bust status. Zadarov, big hitter but a medicore defender.

Kinda crazy with how successful they've been that theyve had maybe 2 top pair dmen come out of there and that was Methot and Wideman. I'm not really even sure theyre legit top pairing guys either.

They're all pretty juvenile. I said it was juvenile at best.

Must suck to have access to the internet and have your mindset about how offensive things are.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I dont think hes going to the Knights but even if he did I wouldnt have my hopes up for him if I were an Isles fan. Who was the last good dman to come out of London? Mete looks decent but nothing special really, same with Maataa. Harrington seems like hes trending towards bust status. Zadarov, big hitter but a medicore defender.

Kinda crazy with how successful they've been that theyve had maybe 2 top pair dmen come out of there and that was Methot and Wideman. I'm not really even sure theyre legit top pairing guys either.

Must suck to have access to the internet and have your mindset about how offensive things are.
John Carlson is pretty damn good, and if he goes it would be a similar situation as Wilde going after playing the previous year in the USHL.

Outside of rentals like JT, most of the Knights best players though have been wingers like Perry, Kane, Marner and Tkachuk during the Hunters regime. Kadri is probably the best center followed by Bolland. There were high hopes for Gagner but he never lived up to his draft position and hype.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
We call Ladd Badd all the time. That’s a play in his name and I’m pretty sure he isn’t black. Not everything is racist
What people were calling Taylor Hall in Edmonton would probably cause an outrage. I don't think he got the nickname because of his billiard skills.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
John Carlson is pretty damn good, and if he goes it would be a similar situation as Wilde going after playing the previous year in the USHL.

Outside of rentals like JT, most of the Knights best players though have been wingers like Perry, Kane, Marner and Tkachuk during the Hunters regime. Kadri is probably the best center followed by Bolland. There were high hopes for Gagner but he never lived up to his draft position and hype.

Completely forgot about Carlson. I looked through a list of drafted Knights but he was drafted out of Indiana so I missed him. He was also just a one year guy so not sure how much I would credit them with his development. Hes definitely the best Dman to come through there though

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Completely forgot about Carlson. I looked through a list of drafted Knights but he was drafted out of Indiana so I missed him. He was also just a one year guy so not sure how much I would credit them with his development. Hes definitely the best Dman to come through there though
Bouchard looks to be a good one as well (although time will tell)

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

I thought there was a good chance that the wings were going to draft Bouchard and even prior to the draft I brought up the fact that London doesnt really develop quality NHL dmen. I think he'll be good and buck the trend a little bit, but you never know

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

I was quite bullish on Bouchard prior to the draft. I think this draft will turn out to be one that many D men make a huge impact in years to come. Dahlin, Boqvist, Hughes, Bouchard, and Dobson. All teams that drafted any one of these players are going to be very happy.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Just when I thought it wasn’t possible for a SJW to derail a Bode Wilde thread, I have been proven wrong. Apparently, the racism “line” has been extended to include harmless nicknames regarding hockey skill.
Thankfully the hockey world is pretty insulated from that type of thing. The unfortunate side effect is that some racism and homophobia exists.

That said, Bode is gonna be playing #74 for Saginaw in what will be a huge year for him. Really hoping this guy can make the most of his natural talents without his low-hockey IQ hindering him too too much. There are still some amazing players in the NHL right now you could argue have "low hockey IQ" that make up for it with dynamic talent

Last edited:

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Thankfully the hockey world is pretty insulated from that type of thing. The unfortunate side effect is that some racism and homophobia exists.

That said, Bode is gonna be playing #74 for Saginaw in what will be a huge year for him. Really hoping this guy can make the most of his natural talents without his low-hockey IQ hindering him too too much. There are still some amazing players in the NHL right now you could argue have "low hockey IQ" that make up for it with dynamic talent

I thought he just sucked at school and had a pretty good hockey IQ? I guess I'm wrong.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Miller earned the nickname of K'antplay Miller on the Habs board. He has tools and all but he has so many flaws it's tough to justify the pick at 22.
PLZ tell us more about his flaws... try to explain it... :popcorn:

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I thought he just sucked at school and had a pretty good hockey IQ? I guess I'm wrong.

No, he showed an extremely low hockey IQ with the NTDP. He was constantly making poor decisions and had poor positioning. Sometimes he would just be hanging out in the offensive zone below the circle, not even involved in the play, and would get caught up ice. Other times he would be rushing up ice attempting to forecheck while the play was headed back the other way, leaving his defensive partner high and dry. He was brutal to watch defensively at times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad