RD Axel Sandin Pellikka - Skellefteå, SHL (2023, 17th, DET)

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Don't get me wrong. Pellikka is an amazing talent and prospect and will most likely be a good player in the NHL. But the best swedish born defender in the Swedish hockey league as of now? No, far from it.
I actually don’t follow the SHL in the slightest so I’m not really disagreeing as all my viewings are just clips.

Who even votes on these awards? If it’s media like some NHL awards, then yeah could very well be right. Those dweebs typically just go with the cool story rather than who actually deserves it

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Don't get me wrong. Pellikka is an amazing talent and prospect and will most likely be a good player in the NHL. But the best swedish born defender in the Swedish hockey league as of now? No, far from it.
Who is it if not ASP in your view ?

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

I mean....his teammate with 7 more minutes of ice time a night would seem like a good starting point

edit: looks like that guy won it last year and nobody has ever won it more than once, did they just not want to give it to him because of some stupid tradition of not having repeat winners?

Reactions: Jacob

icing

Jun 22, 2003
Sweden
There are several defenders in the league that could be ranked before him (Folin, Fantenberg, G Carlsson, Lindholm, Johannesson, Lundberg to name a few) without anyone raising a brow. There would be a discussion if he's even in the top 10 in the league among swedish defenders. I would put him around top 10.

There are two defenders that separate themselves from all the rest, and its not even a discussion that these two are the best. His teammate Pudas and Joel Persson.

Last edited:
Reactions: onionsack

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Some of these awards may have been "controversial" but by the end of his draft+1 season, ASP has won best defender at the u18s, best defender at the world juniors, and best swedish born defender in the SHL.

People were kinda split on him at draft time, but with that kind of resume, hes turning into a pretty high end prospect. He'll be high on prospect rankings going into next season

Reactions: saska sault

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Pellikka currently leads all U23 in scoring in the SHL playoffs (2g, 3a in 9 games), T-7th in overall scoring, and T-3rd in D scoring, while playing 1-2 less games than most of the players in front of him. Playing over 20 minutes a game.

Wings have another gem on D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad