RD Artyom Minulin - Metallurg Magnitogorsk, KHL (2017 undrafted)

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
What happened? He was supposed to go in the first round not too long ago.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
How in the world did this guy go undrafted? He scored at a .71 PPG pace, which I can't remember the exact odds, but Dmen who score over .55 ppg in the CHL have a good NHL success rate. And he has the size to play. Is his skating that bad? Some sort of character problem? I'm straight baffled.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Both him and MacAuley Carson were big non drafts from my list, had them both ranked as 3rd rounders.

But like i said previously the more i saw him play the more he slid on my list, i had him 6th among WHL dmen behind Valimaki, Foote, Brook, Jokiharju and Fleury.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Is his defensive game not up to par?

He should have been taken in the 2nd. It has to be more than that to have 31 teams pass him over for 6 rounds. I wonder if there is something else going on here, a KHL scare or something else like the Pilon situation? Just wondering. If he stays in NA and plays in the WHL for another season then this draft would truly have been baffling

Edit: If teams just passed him over because "defensive game was not good enough" then there are 31 stupid NHL teams. That stuff can always be taught to someone as skilled as this guy

Last edited:

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
This one baffles me. Teams, like the Jets, are taking 20 year olds in inferior leagues while a player like this is passed over.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Agree with the person who questioned his skating, but that should've dropped him from like a 1st or 2nd round talent to 3rd or 4th, not undrafted.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I would think something else is at play here, whatever it was, I don't know what it is. Maybe it's the combo of "Russian factor" with terrible skating. But, he can't be a much worse skater than Hoefenmayer who got drafted.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Definitely one of the more surprising kids who went undrafted, I wonder why teams stayed away from him.

From what i have seen, he is not the most mobile player I have seen. But there is plenty of players that are not so mobile that get drafted.

Mark Kandy

Habcoolic
Jul 22, 2014
Montreal
So, how was he in the Wild development camp?

Still shocked this kid didn't get picked. 50 points in 70 games for a 17-18 years old defenseman playing with an average team is kinda impressive.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
We probably won't see him back on NA ice for the rest of his career. I really thought he could have been something back in his draft year but low effort level on-ice and a off-ice lack of motivation led to Minulin's failure to develop (at first his game stalled, then he lost confidence and he actually managed to get progressively worse in the end, something fairly few players manage) and ultimately spelled the doom of his NHL dreams.

Lesson learned, dedication is important too in prospects and even if you look to defend well, skate okay and have a pretty good toolset, without the necessary character you won't make it in unless you're amongst the o,ooooooo1% of elite talents.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad