RD Artyom Minulin - Metallurg Magnitogorsk, KHL (2017 undrafted)

enj92

Oct 2, 2015
Ufa
B8E8Up90D_g.jpg

eliteprospects profile
whl.ca profile

Dunno much about him. He's late 98 6'2 200 right handed defenseman, who's playing for one of the worst whl teams this season. And despite that has pretty good stats - 4+27 16 PIM in 66 and positive +/- unlike most of his teammates. Maybe there are some frequent whl watchers, who could tell us more about him?

SmartPuck

Mar 8, 2016
Only caught him a couple times this year during my travels but he is SUPER underrated at this point in time. Should be a top 60 lock for 2017 with the chance of being a 1st rounder.

enj92

Oct 2, 2015
Ufa
Minulin finished the season with 33 points. Stats wise he has very good year and I dont know why is there so little talk about him? If we start to compare him with another rookie defenseman Juuso Valimaki, who is considered as a future top-15 guy, we could notice that they are both late 98's, pretty big 6'2 200 kids with pretty much the same offensive numbers. Yeah, Valimaki played 16 games less due to injury, but we should take into account that in all of those Tri-City Americans games, in which he participated, they scored 174 goals, while Swift Current Broncos scored 190 in a full season. Add the fact that Minulin is one of the only two players on his team with positive +/-. Can anyone shed light on this young D? How's his defensive and physical game? Skating? Puck skills?

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
7 pts in 3 preseason games for Minulin and he still doesnt have alot of hype.

He's gonna have a monster year, he's too good of an all around player not be considered one of the best dmen in this year's draft.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Had a great game today. 1A but was also very good in his own end. Used his stick very well and was moving the puck great. Made the odd bad pinch but always had guys covering for him.

enj92

Oct 2, 2015
Ufa
Has the most points (2+5) amongst D's after 6 games. Any word on him? I never saw him play honestly. Is he really worse than Valimaki and Foote and is he 1st rounder or more of 2-3rd rounder at this point? How's his shot, skating, d play, o play, vision etc.?

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Has the most points (2+5) amongst D's after 6 games. Any word on him? I never saw him play honestly. Is he really worse than Valimaki and Foote and is he 1st rounder or more of 2-3rd rounder at this point? How's his shot, skating, d play, o play, vision etc.?

Sure-fire 1st rounder in my opinion. Whether he's in the 15-20 range or 20-30 range, I'm not sure yet.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal

Like i said, this year's Sergachev (just in terms of where i expect him to get drafted, i have him top 10-15). But stylistically he's not gonna wow you like Mikhail, he doesn't have his shot either.

What he does have is very high hockey IQ, he's extremely solid defensively and i find that he's very good at getting shots through from the point. He's just a a very smart 2 way dman who emphasizes his d-game, he does everything you want the new age PMD's to do aswell. He was my top WHL dman heading into this season, i already thought he was worth a late 1st/early 2nd pick had he been eligible for the 2016 draft.

enj92

Oct 2, 2015
Ufa
Like i said, this year's Sergachev (just in terms of where i expect him to get drafted, i have him top 10-15). But stylistically he's not gonna wow you like Mikhail, he doesn't have his shot either.

What he does have is very high hockey IQ, he's extremely solid defensively and i find that he's very good at getting shots through from the point. He's just a a very smart 2 way dman who emphasizes his d-game, he does everything you want the new age PMD's to do aswell. He was my top WHL dman heading into this season, i already thought he was worth a late 1st/early 2nd pick had he been eligible for the 2016 draft.

Thanks for the report. According to your words he plays the game a lot like Provorov or Juolevi. But how's his skating? All three big-name D's from last draft are elite skaters. How does he compare to them?

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Thanks for the report. According to your words he plays the game a lot like Provorov or Juolevi. But how's his skating? All three big-name D's from last draft are elite skaters. How does he compare to them?

Good skater, him and Lajoie are in charge of skating the puck out and headmanning the attack.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
From the few games I've seen of him so far, Minulin seems to be pretty good overall and should be much higher on those draft lists. I've consistently seen him listed after the third round (90+) and it just doesn't make sense to me as the russian factor shouldn't matter so much since the kid has shown a willingness to cross the ocean and play in the WHL.

Right now, the kid would be amongst my top 60 prospects for 2017 (about 50-55).

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Minulin just continues to impress me every time I watch him play for Swift Current. Definitely think he'll end up a potential first-round pick and currently have him in my top 30 for 2017.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Minulin just continues to impress me every time I watch him play for Swift Current. Definitely think he'll end up a potential first-round pick and currently have him in my top 30 for 2017.

What do you like about him?

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
What do you like about him?

I like a lot about Minulin's game and while he does still have his warts (explosiveness and balance are good but could use some work still, shot is only slightly above-average, takes too long to get shots off, overpasses the puck sometimes, gets caught pinching a bit, could be more physical and add more strength, etc.) and doesn't warrant a top 10 pick right now in my opinion, he still does many things very well on the ice.

More concretely, Minulin's first pass and plays off the rush are quite good and efficient, he makes good decisions with the puck most of the time and will use the boards very well to clear the zone and make precise passes forward, he also has a knack for keeping a good gap defensively against opposing forwards, puts pressusre on the puck carrier consistently while not being overaggressive, possesses enough mobility to cover good ground and recover loose pucks well, has good enough size to battle for and win the puck along the boards, can be creative in his passes and play selection, is usually dependable defensively for Swift Current with only some minor inconsistencies, has good awareness both defensively and offensively and pokechecks well.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Edit: After several more viewings i've cooled down on him. Currently #6 among my WHL dmen (February).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad