RD Artyom Levshunov - Michigan State Univ., NCAA (2024 Draft)

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Reading through the criticisms in the Dickinson thread .. I think many of the same can be said for Levshunov.

DIckinson is 9 months or so younger and has absolutely fantastic skating. Looking at where Levshunov is this year compared to where Dickinson will be at this time next year .. I would think many of the things Dickinson gets criticized take another good development jump. Both suffer with some decision making now.. both I think project to improve that... Levshunov is being projected as a top pair it takes a fair bit of projection imo and Dickinson as a 2nd pair. Dickinson could be expected to improve more because of his age.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Reading through the criticisms in the Dickinson thread .. I think many of the same can be said for Levshunov.

DIckinson is 9 months or so younger and has absolutely fantastic skating. Looking at where Levshunov is this year compared to where Dickinson will be at this time next year .. I would think many of the things Dickinson gets criticized take another good development jump. Both suffer with some decision making now.. both I think project to improve that... Levshunov is being projected as a top pair it takes a fair bit of projection imo and Dickinson as a 2nd pair. Dickinson could be expected to improve more because of his age.
Levshunov likely has the longer development curve at the moment, a kid playing in Belarus a couple years ago versus a GTHL kid. Levshunov will be the first 1st round pick from Belarus in more than 20 years, and if he goes 9th or better, the highest drafted one of all time.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Levshunov likely has the longer development curve at the moment, a kid playing in Belarus a couple years ago versus a GTHL kid. Levshunov will be the first 1st round pick from Belarus in more than 20 years, and if he goes 9th or better, the highest drafted one of all time.
That is a factor which one is more meaningful .. I am not sure , maybe they both just continue on a steep dev curve

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

People assume younger players have more runway, but I haven’t seen much improvement over this season from Dickinson, but Levshunov improved noticeably from start to finish.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
People assume younger players have more runway, but I haven’t seen much improvement over this season from Dickinson, but Levshunov improved noticeably from start to finish.
Teams ahead of Anaheim should leave levshunov for us ^.^

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
Ever since the lottery, every Mock Draft that I see has Levshunov going top 3. I don't share that sentiment.

Here's my Scouting Report on him.

When can we see your ranking for this years draft?

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Ever since the lottery, every Mock Draft that I see has Levshunov going top 3. I don't share that sentiment.

Here's my Scouting Report on him.

Levshunov scares me because I can't quite figure out what he'll excel at in the NHL to make him a top pairing D. He's got size and is a great skater but I'm not sure he'll be a standout offensive player at the next level. And he certainly won't be even average in the defensive zone any time soon. I'm just getting Jack Johnson vibes from him...able to carve out a 15 year mediocre career but never live up to the draft hype.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Levshunov scares me because I can't quite figure out what he'll excel at in the NHL to make him a top pairing D. He's got size and is a great skater but I'm not sure he'll be a standout offensive player at the next level. And he certainly won't be even average in the defensive zone any time soon. I'm just getting Jack Johnson vibes from him...able to carve out a 15 year mediocre career but never live up to the draft hype.
I think your expectations are way too high.

JJ scored 40 points twice and 30 points five times in an era where scoring was a lot lower than it is now. Was playing over 20 minutes per game for 10 years in a row. Nearly 1200 games.

That's a good career for a 2OA or 3OA defenseman, if that's where Levshunov gets picked.

Reactions: Blueston

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I think your expectations are way too high.

JJ scored 40 points twice and 30 points five times in an era where scoring was a lot lower than it is now. Was playing over 20 minutes per game for 10 years in a row. Nearly 1200 games.

That's a good career for a 2OA or 3OA defenseman, if that's where Levshunov gets picked.
It's a good career unless you were picked 3OA. Johnson underperformed his draft position and I fear Levshunov will as well. And, for the record, I watched JMFJ up close in LA for all the time he was there. For LA fans there were two big highlights...the day he was acquired and the day he was traded. Both were joyous days in LA.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It's a good career unless you were picked 3OA. Johnson underperformed his draft position and I fear Levshunov will as well. And, for the record, I watched JMFJ up close in LA for all the time he was there. For LA fans there were two big highlights...the day he was acquired and the day he was traded. Both were joyous days in LA.
3rd Overall Picks From 2004-2013 (10 drafts)

Better than Johnson: Jonathan Toews, Jonathan Huberdeau

Worse: Cam Barker, Kyle Turris, Zach Bogosian, Erik Gudbranson, Alex Galchenyuk, Jonathan Drouin

Same ballpark: Matt Duchene

Of the 9 in the 10 year span (with Johnson being the 10th), two had better careers, five had worse careers, and one was similar. Johnson is the third or fourth best career of those 10. You absolutely take that with the 3rd overall.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
3rd Overall Picks From 2004-2013 (10 drafts)

Better than Johnson: Jonathan Toews, Jonathan Huberdeau

Worse: Cam Barker, Kyle Turris, Zach Bogosian, Erik Gudbranson, Alex Galchenyuk, Jonathan Drouin

Same ballpark: Matt Duchene

Of the 9 in the 10 year span (with Johnson being the 10th), two had better careers, five had worse careers, and one was similar. Johnson is the third or fourth best career of those 10. You absolutely take that with the 3rd overall.
That just demonstrates the perils of drafting more than anything else. If I was a scout he wouldn't be in my top 5 and I REALLY hope he doesn't go to my team at 3OA. Your mileage may vary.

Reactions: coooldude

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Jack Johnson: 5th in Games Played, 13th in Assists, 14th in Points amongst 2005 Draft. Similar to most Drafts, many of the better players were picked way after him so not even really on the radar.

Amongst the first round, you probably go

Crosby

Price and Kopitar at 2/3

Rask at 4

and then it's Jack Johnson/Marc Staal/Bobby Ryan/TJ Oshie/Andrew Cogliano/Matt Niskanen

I'd probably put Jack Johnson at 5th amongst that first round re-draft.

Obviously you can open it up and push him down if you include Jonathan Quick, Paul Stastny, Kris Letang, Marc-Eduoard Vlasic, James Neal, Keith Yandle, Patric Hornqvist, Ben Bishop.

In some ways, people should just temper expectations in general, like yeah you're probably not getting a Franchise Gamebreaking Superstar at the sixth overall pick.

Zarzh

Jun 30, 2015
Jack Johnson: 5th in Games Played, 13th in Assists, 14th in Points amongst 2005 Draft. Similar to most Drafts, many of the better players were picked way after him so not even really on the radar.

Crosby

Price and Kopitar at 2/3

Rask at 4

and then it's Jack Johnson/Marc Staal/Bobby Ryan/TJ Oshie/Andrew Cogliano/Matt Niskanen

Obviously you can open it up and push him down if you include Jonathan Quick, Paul Stastny, Kris Letang, Marc-Eduoard Vlasic, James Neal, Keith Yandle, Patric Hornqvist, Ben Bishop.

In some ways, people should just temper expectations in general, like yeah you're probably not getting a Franchise Gamebreaking Superstar at the sixth overall pick.
The problem most people have with that analysis is it ignores that he had no place on a playoff team. People give out too many points for longevity and empty points.

People want a guy that can be a core piece for a top 5 pick, even if he isn't a superstar.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
The problem most people have with that analysis is it ignores that he had no place on a playoff team.
d0e4cac0-a411-4947-b898-8185b0314d00-USATSI_18601725.jpg

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

Crosby

Price and Kopitar at 2/3

Rask at 4

I don't want to make this a Jack Johnson thread but I'll just say that he was a minus player for virtually his entire career and it wasn't only b/c he was on bad teams. He was just an adventure in the D zone for most of his career. I fear the same from Levshunov.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I don't want to make this a Jack Johnson thread but I'll just say that he was a minus player for virtually his entire career and it wasn't only b/c he was on bad teams. He was just an adventure in the D zone for most of his career. I fear the same from Levshunov.
He's actually been a + player in his Post-30 career (558 games).

Anyways, you're right that it's off-topic. Levshunov is a bigger guy and a righty, which gives him more positional value. Point is just to show people sometimes have unrealistic expectations when it comes to Defensemen who gave good long careers. Meanwhile, someone like Tij Iginla (not to pick on him specifically) can put up like one or two 55 point seasons in his career and people would clap like trained seals about the good value pick at whatever slot.

He averaged 11 minutes on that team after injuries got him out of the pressbox.
Well you set yourself up for that, but it's also not the only time he played in the postseason despite claims that he had "no place"

Zarzh

Jun 30, 2015
He's actually been a + player in his Post-30 career (558 games).

Anyways, you're right that it's off-topic. Levshunov is a bigger guy and a righty, which gives him more positional value. Point is just to show people sometimes have unrealistic expectations when it comes to Defensemen who gave good long careers. Meanwhile, someone like Tij Iginla (not to pick on him specifically) can put up like one or two 55 point seasons in his career and people would clap like trained seals about the good value pick at whatever slot.

Well you set yourself up for that, but it's also not the only time he played in the postseason despite claims that he had "no place"
I mean sure he can be a 7th or 8th defenseman, whatever.

It's because people assess how much value a player has given to their team. If you draft a player 3rd, you don't particularly care if they had a long career as a journeyman on bad teams, you care about what they gave to your team.

Reactions: Blueston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad