RD Anttoni Honka - JYP Jyväskylä, Liiga (2019, 83rd, CAR)

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I think some of his problems are because of last year went so well. He is overconfident and cocky. He tries to do things by himself instead of sticking to the plan. He is playing against juniors and thinks he is too good for everyone else.

2nd rounder imo
Yes, that's likely. I still don't think that that's crippling in itself. It depends on what he's trying to do and why. Sometimes, you need to experiment and try things in order to improve, even if it leads into poor performance in the present. On the other hand, if he just is plain dumb then that'll be tougher to improve.

Still, I think he has the sort of potential no other Finnish D does. I really don't see him going behind 3 or 4 other Finnish Ds. Kokkonen I could see, perhaps. But I don't think even he has Honka's potential. One thing that hurts Honka's projection is his brother, I feel.

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
I think some of his problems are because of last year went so well. He is overconfident and cocky. He tries to do things by himself instead of sticking to the plan. He is playing against juniors and thinks he is too good for everyone else.

2nd rounder imo
I've stated this before but I knew his brother when he was younger and he was incredibly selfish and a total puck hog. I think this is the main reason why he hasn't succeeded and why he most likely will never be an NHL player.

I say this because Anttoni is exactly like his brother. He should go in the 2nd round.

Reactions: Ippenator

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
Either he is very selfish or just isn't that smart. That play where he skated through the slot with two forecheckers on him and took a penalty was almost an exact copy of what he did in the U18 finals last year. With his skating and puck skills he could be a great puck mover, but he needs to know when to pass it on.

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
Either he is very selfish or just isn't that smart. That play where he skated through the slot with two forecheckers on him and took a penalty was almost an exact copy of what he did in the U18 finals last year. With his skating and puck skills he could be a great puck mover, but he needs to know when to pass it on.
That play was more on Latvala than Honka. Honka was telling Latvala to get it out and he unexpectedly passed it back in to pressure to Honka. Bad play by Honka but he was put in a bad position there.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Somebody will take this kid in the first round. NHL is all about skating and this kid can really skate
to go along with excellent puck skills.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Hmmm sounds like another Honka I know in the NHL and it doesn't seem to be working out too well for him...
Still, Anttoni's always been more talented than Julius. I don't think it's entirely fair to assume that he'll end up entirely like his brother... He should be judged on his own merits. That is, he makes tons of dumb plays, seems to be quite selfish but if he actually manages to put it all together, could be a heck of a player.

In fact, even Julius could just have been developed incorrectly, it's difficult to know.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Hmmm sounds like another Honka I know in the NHL and it doesn't seem to be working out too well for him...

Maybe this Honka will get the benefit of being drafted by an organization that has a clue about developing defencemen.

But maybe even that won't help. :dunno:

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
Craig Button had him ranked 57th before the WJC, not ranked in his top 75 in his new rankings.
His entitled to that opinion and obviously has a lot of knowledge about prospects but there's no way a team doesn't take a chance on him at least in the second round, unless he has a terrible rest of the season.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
He has been loaned to Jukurit for the rest of the season. He has stuggled so much this year.. maybe this is good for him. He has played for Jyp A-sm, Mestis and Liiga this year.

I think he will actually see Liiga minutes now.

Mildan

Jan 7, 2019
He has been loaned to Jukurit for the rest of the season. He has stuggled so much this year.. maybe this is good for him. He has played for Jyp A-sm, Mestis and Liiga this year.

I think he will actually see Liiga minutes now.
First game for Jukurit and he has 1+1 in second period..

king89

Dec 4, 2018
Scored in tonights game vs TPS, only checked the boxscore. But according to that player report, he is starting to play more simple.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad