RD Anttoni Honka - JYP Jyväskylä, Liiga (2019, 83rd, CAR)

ijuka

May 14, 2016
High risk, high reward. I don't really like him, but I hope he has a better future than his brother.
He's considered more talented and has been more successful at every level than his brother thus far. He showed some good promise with Jukurit. He indeed is a pure boom or bust. No solid stay at home 3rd pairing guy to be found.

Reactions: Svedu and FinPanda

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Another great game vs USA with 1+1. Could've had a few more assists but Erholtz and Puistola failed to finish those passes. Hopefully he continues his good form in Liiga.

Reactions: Cane mutiny

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I find it somewhat ironic that CAR ended up with an undersized, highly talented offensive RD in the 3rd round as a byproduct of trading Adam Fox, who also was an undersized, highly talented RD taken in the 3rd round 3 years ago.

It’s just icing on the cake that the Fox trade also yielded Jameison Rees plus another likely 2nd rd pick next year.

(Showing my work: Fox traded to NYR for 37OA in 2019 and a conditional 2nd/3rd in 2020 if Fox plays 30 NHL games in the 19-20 season; CAR traded 37OA to OTT for 44OA-Rees + 83OA-Honka)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I find it somewhat ironic that CAR ended up with an undersized, highly talented offensive RD in the 3rd round as a byproduct of trading Adam Fox, who also was an undersized, highly talented RD taken in the 3rd round 3 years ago.

It’s just icing on the cake that the Fox trade also yielded Jameison Rees plus another likely 2nd rd pick next year.

(Showing my work: Fox traded to NYR for 37OA in 2019 and a conditional 2nd/3rd in 2020 if Fox plays 30 NHL games in the 19-20 season; CAR traded 37OA to OTT for 44OA-Rees + 83OA-Honka)

Saying it’s likely a second round pick would assume that Gorton doesn’t care about the difference in conditions. For a team that isn’t all that good, it makes no sense for Fox to hit the # of games that would make it a second round pick.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Saying it’s likely a second round pick would assume that Gorton doesn’t care about the difference in conditions. For a team that isn’t all that good, it makes no sense for Fox to hit the # of games that would make it a second round pick.

I’d be shocked, barring an injury, if Fox plays less than 30 NHL games next year. Do you seriously believe he’s not going to play that much?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’d be shocked, barring an injury, if Fox plays less than 30 NHL games next year. Do you seriously believe he’s not going to play that much?

Why would you be shocked? What has Fox proven that he’s immune from playing minor league hockey? The draft pick also adds another layer to it.

What I think is that he probably will play 30 games, but no good GM in this position would let him play 30 games. I don’t think Gorton is a good GM, so I could see him letting Fox play 30 games.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Fantastic to see him play well and produce. He indeed was great at the end of the of last season, good to see him continue that.

Reactions: Pardus

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
There was too much of an over-correction from some. He had a bad season and was initially overrated, but his upside should’ve had him ranked no lower than mid-second round.

Reactions: DaveG

Mysteric1000

Feb 13, 2019
Was the best scorer in WJSS along with Caufield. One prob shuldnt draw too many conclusions about this, cuz Honka still has his obvious red flags in his defensive game (coverage and puck battles), but his confidence lvl is high atm offensively and if he can bring this production (especially on PP) up to liiga lvl next ssn, he can make a case of his high offensive upside bringing him to higher competition in the future and status of being a draft steal from the Canes.
Screenshot_20190804-152718_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: DaveG

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
Nice passes, but his biggest problems are in the defence. He had to be benched because he was too dangerous in the own end. Can't get excited before his fixes that area of his game.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad