RD Anttoni Honka - JYP Jyväskylä, Liiga (2019, 83rd, CAR)

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
So you make a bad comparison based on a very broad type of hockey player, and then are confused when I make a similar comparison?
How is it a bad comparision? Both see the ice well, great at strech passes, both join the rush almost every single time, agile and smooth skaters, same size, handedness, and both looking like raw talent that have 60 point potential in the NH with the tools they have. Both of them are good with the stick in the own end, but as they gain muscle d-game should also develop nicely. Could you please now tell me other factors than shot that make them different kind of players? This should be pretty fun..

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
They are only a month and a half apart in age, despite being in different drafts. That doesn't make for a good comparison. Boqvist is two inches taller. His shooting is also a much bigger part of his game than it is for Honka. From what I've seen, Honka is kind of all over the place defensively, Boqvist plays a reliable defensive game. Boqvist has mostly made his name in junior international games and Swedish Junior games, Honka has mostly made his name in Liiga.

What is so similar about them?

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
They are only a month and a half apart in age, despite being in different drafts. That doesn't make for a good comparison. Boqvist is two inches taller. His shooting is also a much bigger part of his game than it is for Honka. From what I've seen, Honka is kind of all over the place defensively, Boqvist plays a reliable defensive game. Boqvist has mostly made his name in junior international games and Swedish Junior games, Honka has mostly made his name in Liiga.

Reliable defensive game? Did you see him in the SHL? Jeeeeezzzz... Both of their D-game needs work. Why bring up how they got their name up there? It has nothing to do with the comparision about how they play the same minus the shooting. Honka also uses his shot a lot as does Boqvist. Btw they have only one inch difference according to the Finnish national team and the combine. I think I named a lot more similarities between them than you did differences!

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
Looking at eliteprospect heights doesnt always tell you the truth ;) Everyone was saying how Kupari was small at 183cm/78kg as it said at elite. Then at the combine it turns out he was 187/86. No size complaints since. :D

LarrysMustache

Feb 29, 2016

Both likely to become defensive liabilities comes playoff time

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Watching a JYP preseason game.... Honka is able to bring the puck from his own zone to offensive zone just with his skating in almost every single shift. Also very smart passing. His weaknesses are in his own zone but i think the offensive instincts he has are elite. He'll rise his stock a lot this coming season, I think.

Peeps

May 24, 2017
Watching a JYP preseason game.... Honka is able to bring the puck from his own zone to offensive zone just with his skating in almost every single shift. Also very smart passing. His weaknesses are in his own zone but i think the offensive instincts he has are elite. He'll rise his stock a lot this coming season, I think.

I feel it's a problem for these type of D.

Very good with skating, puck handling, vision, passing, hockey IQ and QB PP but in their own zone their not very good.

So when you draft them, you do because you project them as a future Gostisbehere. Excellent in offense but bad in d-zone.

Problem is, not every coach is fond of taking the time to put a liability on defense game after game in the NHL.

So they play more in the AHL. Takes more time.

Since it's Honka, I have his brother in my mind. Julius hasn't been able to break so far in the NHL.

That's my concern with smaller D with excellent offensive tools in general and my concern with Honka jr.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Narow

Nov 11, 2016

Very good with skating, puck handling, vision, passing, hockey IQ and QB PP but in their own zone their not very good.

So when you draft them, you do because you project them as a future Gostisbehere. Excellent in offense but bad in d-zone.

Problem is, not every coach is fond of taking the time to put a liability on defense game after game in the NHL.

Since it's Honka, I have his brother in my mind. Julius hasn't been able to break so far in the NHL.

That's my concern with smaller D with excellent offensive tools in general and my concern with Honka jr.

Isent that partly due to the team he plays for? Heard that the coach is notorious for not giving chances to prospect defensemen and every inch myst be earned, that and they already have a solid d-group so kinda hard for a offensive minded d-man to just junp in there...

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Isent that partly due to the team he plays for? Heard that the coach is notorious for not giving chances to prospect defensemen and every inch myst be earned, that and they already have a solid d-group so kinda hard for a offensive minded d-man to just junp in there...
He only had Hitch for a year. He gets Montgomery this year, and before Hitch he had Lindsey Ruff.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
So simply not good enough then?
I haven't seen enough of him in recent years to make that call. He's out of AHL eligibility (aka can't be sent down without clearing waivers), so now he's gotta show what he's got or his next chance will be with another organization.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
So simply not good enough then?
My opinion is that he quite clearly has at best mediocre hockey IQ and is not as quick and good passer as a player with his size should really be in the NHL. The more I have seen him play, the less I have honestly liked him as a player. I’m not really at all a fan of great skaters without good hockey IQ, so I might be even a tad harsh on him.

But I honestly think that people expecting him to have a really great NHL career are quite likely going to be disappointed. To me he looks most likely like a 3rd pair defenceman and I will be very surprised if he after all becomes a clear 2nd pair defender. I guess it’s possible if he truly manages still to develop his play. But I see absolutely no chance anyway for him ever being a 1st pair defenceman, or if he will be, then his team must be a really weak team.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
In my far too early draft rankings, I've got Honka top 5. He's easily the best D in the draft. It's ridiculous how elite he is.

Last edited:

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016

That's a very valid concern but I'm pretty optimistic about his game in his own end. He's still only 17 and already played 20 games in Liiga in which he wasn't a defensive liability at all. He positions himself really well and defends with his stick very effectively.

Physically he is still raw but he sees the game too well in both ends to not become a top-4 dman in the show. Just my opinion of course.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

This misconception about Ghost needs to be put to be bed after his 17-18 season. He was very good defensively and was voted the Flyers best defensemen. I understand why he got that reputation after his 16-17 season but he was leaps and bounds better in 17-18.

Reactions: Peeps

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
#2 in the draft. I'm calling it.
I definitely think he can take the spot as #1 D in the draft. That title is up in the air IMO, Byram has some concerns, Robertson may not have the upside, Broberg also has some concerns. Honka at least has that elite offensive potential.

Reactions: joshik

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I definitely think he can take the spot as #1 D in the draft. That title is up in the air IMO, Byram has some concerns, Robertson may not have the upside, Broberg also has some concerns. Honka at least has that elite offensive potential.
He's for sure #1D as of now. No question. But I think he's #2 overall so far.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
I like the offensive upside in his game but I'm not gonna lie, he can make some really bad decisions in the defensive zone, especially when it comes to playing with puck near your goalie. I'd definately like to see some improvements in that area before I see him as top-5 pick.

Or maybe he finishes the season with 30+ points and no one cares about those issues anymore. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad