RD Anttoni Honka - JYP Jyväskylä, Liiga (2019, 83rd, CAR)

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
I mean with his offensive production in a mens league at his age i wpuld imagine he is lining up to not only be a 1st round pick but a top 10 pick

Reactions: Ippenator

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Looked really good in the U18s for the most part. Elite skater and puck handling, just needs to limit his mistakes when moving the puck. Was solid on the defensive end for a guy his size.

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016

His movement on the blueline reminds me a lot of Klingberg. So much confidence with great skating and sees the ice so well.

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Thank you for this!

If people can actually watch all of that and genuinely believe he's going to go late in the first, be my guest I guess.

A special mention to 9:50 ->

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yep, if people can watch that and think he'll go like 18th, good luck with that. Right now I feel a great urge to place him above Kakko.

Actually, 2:58 - 3:02 is faster than any sample I have of McDavid. In fact, unless I'm mistaken this is the second-fastest skating sample I've ever seen, behind only that one clip of Miles Wood. Or am I going crazy? Makes sense to the eye but that can't be the case, right?

Actually, 10:37 - 10:41 is even faster than that.

edit: Well, it does seem like that's slightly overestimated. Still extremely fast though.

Last edited:
Reactions: joshik

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Plays nearly an identical game to Julius
Just does it much better though. If anyone’s put off by Julius’ disappointing post draft years don’t think Anttoni’s will be the same. He’s a stud.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Just does it much better though. If anyone’s put off by Julius’ disappointing post draft years don’t think Anttoni’s will be the same. He’s a stud.

I'm not considering any of Julius Honka's years a disappointment yet. We haven't seen what he is capable of and likely won't until he is traded (Heiskanen/Klingberg will always hold the spotlight over him). He would strive on another teams top PP unit if they have space

joshik

In Duchene we believe
Jul 1, 2017
Czech Republic
Yep, if people can watch that and think he'll go like 18th, good luck with that. Right now I feel a great urge to place him above Kakko.

Actually, 2:58 - 3:02 is faster than any sample I have of McDavid. In fact, unless I'm mistaken this is the second-fastest skating sample I've ever seen, behind only that one clip of Miles Wood. Or am I going crazy? Makes sense to the eye but that can't be the case, right?

Actually, 10:37 - 10:41 is even faster than that.

edit: Well, it does seem like that's slightly overestimated. Still extremely fast though.
I don't get why so many people have him so low on their rankings. Maybe because the Julius struggles. What I see he is much better in the offensive side than Byram who is projected n.1 Dman. The only weakness I see is his shot accuracy ( same as Julius :) ) We don't talk height right.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Honka hasnt been disappointing other than this past year tho. He was trending up and having a very string trajectory until he got to play under Hitch who straight up didnt play him thanks to his size bias. Hitch was quoted this season saying "small players get tired faster so you have to manage their minutes". Honka was never going to get a chance because his coach had already decided Oleksiak and Pateryn > Honka because they are taller.

His underlying numbers were still stupidly strong and his transition game was second to only Klingberg. He looked shaky at the world but that is because he was asked to straight up change his game this year and his confidence took a big hit. Im not saying he is guaranteed to bounce back or become an impact player but he carried the puck and skated just like his brother did in half those highlights and that is the exact type of plays Hitch hated and actively coached out of him. Hitch thinks that kind of hockey from a D man is too risky which is infuriating because you look at the recent string of young D and they are elite because of that skill and we just spend a damn year trying to convince our second best prospect that he should stop doing that...

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I'm not considering any of Julius Honka's years a disappointment yet. We haven't seen what he is capable of and likely won't until he is traded (Heiskanen/Klingberg will always hold the spotlight over him). He would strive on another teams top PP unit if they have space
I’m sorry to say, but it seems quite clear to me that Julius has at best quite mediocre hockey IQ. He holds on to the puck way too much and seems to also lack the vision to make quick and accurate passes well enough. I think he should be still an ok 3rd pair defenceman, at least at some point. And at very best case I could see him as a 2nd pairing guy. Although if that happens eventually I would be already at least a bit positively surprised.

Hockey IQ is still the most important area in hockey, so unless you have it at a really high level, there’s no chance of becoming a real top class player in the NHL.

I do see slightly similar issues with Anttoni’s play, but definitely he does seem to have a clearly better hockey IQ than his brother. But is even his hockey IQ real top class? Honestly I have to say that I’m not at least yet convinced about it. I will be following very much his play in Liiga during the forthcoming season, and making a more thorough estimation of him as a player in general. The skating is excellent for sure, but even that will never make a player real top class player unless he has high and quick hockey IQ and vision to match it.

Excellent skating without real top class hockey IQ can lead into pretty good players too - for example Nikolaj Ehlers is one of these kind of players. One of the best skaters in the whole league, but definitely not one of the best players. A good player at best, but definitely not the real top class as a player, and the reason for this in his case is in my opinion that his hockey IQ doesn’t exactly match his excellent speed and skating skills.

But as I said already, I’m not yet claiming anything about Anttoni’s hockey IQ, just not so far completely convinced if it is clear top class. Next Liiga season will for sure be interesting with following Honka, Kakko, Kotkaniemi, Heponiemi and many other promising young Finnish talents.

Last edited:

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
So far point per game in this seasons first 6 national team games against really good competition. Can people tell me one good reason why he isn't the clear #1 rated d-man in the draft? NA bias?

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
So far point per game in this seasons first 6 national team games against really good competition. Can people tell me one good reason why he isn't the clear #1 rated d-man in the draft? NA bias?

I wouldn't say NA bias I would say that all of the upper echelon D men aren't as good as in years past so no one is really talking about any of them much at all. I'm sure there's NHL teams who have him towards the top of the list and some that don't.

But right now I'd say it's a race between Byram, York, Soderstrom, Honka, and Vukojevic. Maybe a few others too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad