RD Aaron Ekblad (2014, 1st overall, Florida)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
I'm usually on that side too but '14 was certainly one of those rare occasions that there was really no superstar forward.

After watching the WJC I was sold that Ekblad was going to be the next D to warrant being the top selection. Reinhart will be a good player but I don't think he will be a game breaker, while Ekblad will certainly be a franchise Dman, and Captain material.

That's what they said about Ekblad.

The truth is that the 2014 draft, like some predicted, was terribly underrated. Ekblad will be a great player, as will Reinhart, Bennett, and several others. 2014 will go down as a strong draft year; much stronger than most of HF realized.

Bps21*

He was the best player on the ice on saturday. No doubt about that. Some impressive young talent on the ice on both sides...but Ekblad was a cut above. Everything he was advertised to be and more.

PZA*

I didn't know he was this good in the offensive zone... always thought he was a stay home defenceman

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
It's awesome to see the kid is getting the credit he deserves.
And yeah, what happened to all of'em critics that discredited this guy pre-draft haha!

One of the favourite Canadien guys I keep an eye on. Great player to watch and really seems mature beyond his years. A true professional at age of 18. Definately captain material eventhough the Panthers already have other candidates.

nitz

Jul 27, 2009
That's what they said about Ekblad.

The truth is that the 2014 draft, like some predicted, was terribly underrated. Ekblad will be a great player, as will Reinhart, Bennett, and several others. 2014 will go down as a strong draft year; much stronger than most of HF realized.

It hasn't been enough time to definitely say one way or the other. You're both wrong.

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
He looks so seasoned and polished out there. The stats are simply a bonus, in my eyes. Also, I do not forsee him continuing this rampant offensive pace. But then again ... There is also a chance he increases his totals. Don't want to be the one to doubt this guy.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

This kid is one of the reasons I stay out of the McDavid-Eichel debate.

2 years ago, if you had suggested Ekblad would have been better, out of the gate, than Seth Jones (and by a wide margin) you would have been told you know nothing about hockey. Yet, a third of the way into Ekblad's rookie season and he looks like far the superior player. Having said that, Jones is 20 / Ekblad is 18, and a million things can happen over a hockey career.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
He's so good.

All signs point to Florida having their franchise defenseman, which in my opinion is the most important piece to winning a cup.

I'm not too up to date on their ownership situation, but hopefully they can add some depth up front (Sharp???). I think they can become legit in the next few years.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Its funny what a franchise goalie and a franchise defeceman can do. Edmonton gotta learn.
Well, it's not like Florida are particularly good yet. 11 wins in 26 games, and -10 in terms of goals for/against. Better than Edmonton, but a pretty "meh" team for now.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
Well, it's not like Florida are particularly good yet. 11 wins in 26 games, and -10 in terms of goals for/against. Better than Edmonton, but a pretty "meh" team for now.

florida lacks the high-end scorers that edmonton has (hall), but we are a "meh" team playing good defense and losing out because we don't have that guy who can change the game offensively... yet

He's so good.

All signs point to Florida having their franchise defenseman, which in my opinion is the most important piece to winning a cup.

I'm not too up to date on their ownership situation, but hopefully they can add some depth up front (Sharp???). I think they can become legit in the next few years.

we added luongo and signed bolland at 5.5m for 5 years, our management is fine as it is right now, ready to spend.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ

Typical HF boards reply. Hey, I don't watch the team play AT ALL, but I'll use stats to make it look like I do. This team is far from "meh," they are one of the better teams in the East, and all will be settled come April.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Really happy for you guys!

Looking like a solid D now, and especially in the future! Ekblad, Kuli, and Gudbranson are great building blocks! I hope Barkov and Hubs continue to develop!

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
This kid is one of the reasons I stay out of the McDavid-Eichel debate.

2 years ago, if you had suggested Ekblad would have been better, out of the gate, than Seth Jones (and by a wide margin) you would have been told you know nothing about hockey. Yet, a third of the way into Ekblad's rookie season and he looks like far the superior player. Having said that, Jones is 20 / Ekblad is 18, and a million things can happen over a hockey career.

I understand what you are saying...often times we over hype and then turn around and tear down special players...I remember commenting on last spring that Ekblad will turn out to be a top pairing D-man but nothing special compared to a player like Hanifin, whose this year's top D...silly me, now it would be an extreme complement to Hanifin to rank him in Ekblad's company

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
He's so good.

Well IIRC we shed around 14 million off the cap next year due to UFAs, that probably won't be re-signed. Our only big RFA will be Bjugstad, so we should have plently of capspace to acquire a guy like Sharp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad