GDT: Rd 2, G6: Snow vs Fish | 8 PM MT | May 6, 2019

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Are we talking about an actual natural hattrick or a Kerfoot Natural Hattrick?

If you're wondering what the difference is between the two, a Kerfoot Natural Hattrick is when the Avs have 3-straight prime scoring opportunities land on his stick and he shoots it directly into the opposing goalie's chest logo.

True natural hatty. He'll score in the last 5 minutes of a blowout to make his hattrick the world's most meaningless hattrick.

Reactions: henchman21

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

We're screwed. Hopefully he shows up at some point.

tenor.gif

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Just shows us how little grit this team actually has. It's basically Zadorov to do anything physical, and Calvert up front to grind and make those sacrifice plays. Pretty much everyone else would rather do a fly by than actually hit someone.

Oh, this again.

The team has plenty of grit. It doesn't have enough depth/skill. The "gritty" players are the ones struggling the most at present (Johnson, Cole, Wilson, Soderberg) and I don't know what the rest of y'all thought but I felt Zadorov was terrible in Game 5.

Reactions: cgf
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Oh, this again.

The team has plenty of grit. It doesn't have enough depth/skill. The "gritty" players are the ones struggling the most at present (Johnson, Cole, Wilson, Soderberg) and I don't know what the rest of y'all thought but I felt Zadorov was terrible in Game 5.

How do you watch Soda play and go "yep, he's a gritty guy".

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Just shows us how little grit this team actually has. It's basically Zadorov to do anything physical, and Calvert up front to grind and make those sacrifice plays. Pretty much everyone else would rather do a fly by than actually hit someone.

I don't believe this is accurate. Landeskog, Cole, EJ, Compher, and Bourque dish out and take hits. Jost has also taken quite a few hits to make plays.

mapletreemarty

Jan 26, 2017
Thunder Bay
Probably just the pessimist in me, but I don't have a great feeling about tonight. I feel like all we heard heading into Game 5 was how important it was to get the win, and they came out so ****ing flat.

It's actually kind of astounding how they haven't followed the gameplan they had for defeating Calgary. If it weren't for Grubauer in G5, that would have been a blowout of Valentine's Day Massacre proportions.

It looked bad, but we also had quality chances on Jones as well.. xGF were 2.28-2.24 in favour of the Avs at 5 on 5 in that game. The point blank chance for Barrie to tie it in the third and the follow up as well... we had our chances. MacK in the slot after a beauty feed from Makar... passing it up instead of shooting. I just want to see more shots, and everyone going to the net balls out. There's nothing left to lose, be aggressive, but don't be reckless.

Reactions: cgf

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
How do you watch Soda play and go "yep, he's a gritty guy".

Dude battles down low for pucks all the time. Unfortunately he's not winning many of those battles right now and has been way off ever since he took that cheap shot from Jack Eichel. Even before then his game was starting to tail off after an insanely productive run.

Are you seriously gonna tell me he's "soft"? He sure as hell doesn't earn most of his points off the rush or by winning races to the puck. Are your only definitions of "gritty" a big, orange, but lovable monstrosity of a mascot and a guy who levels other players with big open-ice hits...?

And it's not like the Sharks are beating the snot out of the Avs on a physical front, it's because they're managing the puck well and getting sticks in every passing lane, the Avs are not helping matters by passing way too much and trying once again to be cute with the puck.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
BTW for all the flack Kerf (and to a degree, rightfully so) is getting, I'm not sure why more people aren't calling out JTC a little more. Dude came through with some clutch goals in round 1, but he's been nearly nonexistent in this series and has made really bad decisions with the puck the few times it lands on his stick.

Jixer19

Dec 19, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta
After all the "talk" about how they need to compete and win game 5, and then they had that game... I fully expect a loss tonight

I do want to say though, I hope I am wrong and they win.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

The worst part is that Ghetto is likely the forward coming out and not Brassard. I just hope Nemeth eats into some Cole/EJ minutes and not Girard/Makar.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't mind the 11/7 setup... but I agree the minutes should come from EJ and Cole, and Brassard should be the scratch. That said, from a coaching perspective, I see some holes in the Girard/Makar pairing and San Jose might have clued into it. Pure guess, but I think we will see Makar shifted less.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I imagine that having 7 D is designed to get MacK out there more, especially with last change. No team has won 2 games in a row this series so far. I think we've got this.

Not seeing how the MacK can be out there more than he already is... 23 minutes a night is a ton for a center.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I can never understand why players shy away from shooting the puck, just throw pucks at the net, it wont hurt.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm guessing he'll be out there 25 if we don't have a comfortable lead going into the 3rd.

He's done that with 12 forwards too though... I'm betting MacK will push 24 tonight, but this doesn't really change how he's been used in the playoffs already.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I can never understand why players shy away from shooting the puck, just throw pucks at the net, it wont hurt.

Kerfoot is kind of a microcosm as to why a player sometimes doesn't trust his shot. He'll throw a bunch at the net and get visibly frustrated when they don't go in, that's when you start seeing him try and dish it instead. I'll give him credit at least for continuing to try and force the issue and shooting more even though he's clearly not comfortable doing so.

One guy who needs to rethink his shooting though is Zadorov. He's trying to rifle it as hard as he can instead of focusing on getting it on net, and what keeps happening is that is pings off the boards and becomes an instant outlet pass for SJ, one of those ended up being a goal for the other team as a result. Wilson and Soderberg are also frustrating the hell outta me in that regard. Shooting more does no one any good if you can't hit the goddamn net.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
As for the forwards, yeah, I wish Brassard was the one coming out, but it's not like Ghetto had a good game the other night, and Bourque's horrible shortcomings with the puck are really starting to show.

It could very well be that this team is finally running out of gas. We'll see what happens tonight. They had a pretty poor outing a year ago against the Preds in the first round when faced with a Game 6 elimination, I'm expecting a little more fight this go-around.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Kerfoot is a guy that is AHL bound after a awful 2 year contract he'll be signed to.

I've never seen a player as good at getting himself in scoring positions be so useless once he gets there. He offers nothing beyond that. Not good defensively. Sometimes finds good passing lanes... often overpassing. Can't/won't shoot. Isn't particularly good at skating.

It's a bummer. He was promising last year. This year he's just so ho hum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad