Rayzor Burns: A Collection of Rob Ray's finest phrases

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Maybe I missed it, but I'm surprised no one's mentioned how Ray thinks that "doing some nice work down low" will fix every problem the sabres have

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Nathan Kadri is by far the best I've heard all year.

"We're in 'Murica now, your name is Nathan!"

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
All of this is true, and he is definitely chuckle-worthy. But I've noticed over the last month that he's been much more critical of players and even the team than he used to. I think he's still feeling out how much of a homer his bosses want him to be. I'm sure that they told him to keep the tone as positive as possible. However, he clearly took that too far, and maybe they're telling him he has some more lee-way. That's not that easy of a job.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
Serious question about Ray. Several years ago I was at one one the Sabres carnivals and Ray was doing a Q&A. Someone asked him why he blinks so much and shakes his head up and down. He got kind of offended and responded to the effect of "we have already covered this. I dont want to talk about it. Next question?"

What is the reason for this tick?

indigoo

Nov 26, 2011
All of this is true, and he is definitely chuckle-worthy. But I've noticed over the last month that he's been much more critical of players and even the team than he used to. I think he's still feeling out how much of a homer his bosses want him to be. I'm sure that they told him to keep the tone as positive as possible. However, he clearly took that too far, and maybe they're telling him he has some more lee-way. That's not that easy of a job.

He was especially surly last night when talking to Schopp/Bulldog, which was strange.

Jim Carr's Rug

Jan 16, 2006
Denver
I think there's a drinking game to be had every time Rayzer uses the word "Fantastic."

Though, any kind of drinking game involving this version of the Buffalo Sabres may lead to a dark, dark depressive state.

RodSerling

Feb 12, 2010
NT
I have to throw my personal favorite out there. About 2 years ago the Sabres had a segment about players visiting kids at Roswell or something and Ray's commentary after the clip was that going to visit these kids is "the most fantastic thing you can awesome do."

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
I didn't realize Ray was this bad. I never really get a chance to listen to Sabres broadcasts. Would love a list like this for Denis Potvin. He has quite the repertoire of butchered names/sayings.

Serious luls @ Steve Nash. :laugh:

HockeyH3aven

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
I didn't realize Ray was this bad. I never really get a chance to listen to Sabres broadcasts. Would love a list like this for Denis Potvin. He has quite the repertoire of butchered names/sayings.

Serious luls @ Steve Nash. :laugh:

The guy who does color for Nashville has to be functionally Pejorative Slured. He can barely talk and he spends the whole game trying to tell the players what to do in real time. It's like the requirements for being an NHL color guy are at least 5 concussions or an IQ under 80, except for Dallas of course.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I miss Jim Lorentz so much.

Me too

As for Ray, I thought he was fine as the 3rd member of the broadcast working between the benches. It allowed him to add the occasional observation and it was usually a good one because he had time to gather his thoughts. But as the only color guy, I don't think he has the ability to process what he sees quick enough to make quality observations. Hence we get the badly mangled and mixed together words and phrases or he falls back on easy cliches.

Put Duff in the booth with Rick then put Ray as the 3rd man between the benches.

Deevo

Jul 25, 2006
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I've gotten to the point of choosing to watch the opposing team broadcasts a lot of the time, solely because of how painful Ray is to listen to. I really think he's the worst color guy in the league.

GameMisconduct

Jul 20, 2006

Unfortunately none of that changes the biggest problem with him which is that he is incoherent, redundant, lacks any insight and is borderline unlistenable.

The job of a color guy is to supplement the play by play with analysis and interesting details. The only thing interesting he brings to analyze are the creative ways he'll butcher the English language.

Harry Neal wasn't a good color guy, but at least he was fairly innocuous. Ray isn't merely not good, he is hoooooorrrriibbblle. He actively detracts from my enjoyment watching the games which is scant enough as it is this season.

Ted Black needs to 'address the situation' and find another place for him in the organization because despite what Ray might describe as a 'good effort' his current gig is a disaster.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Duff would be great.
Meh, even he has caught the Sabres homer bug like Ray.
A few days ago, he claimed that the Flyers' playoff hopes depended on a single game (which they lost), yet still claims that the Sabres have a chance after their Florida road trip.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Meh, even he has caught the Sabres homer bug like Ray.
A few days ago, he claimed that the Flyers' playoff hopes depended on a single game (which they lost), yet still claims that the Sabres have a chance after their Florida road trip.

Duff has deteriorated, in my eyes. He's suffering from FCS (Foligno Complacency Syndrome)... and the dude always looks nice and toasted during the broadcasts.

Unimpressive since he became a full timer IMO.

Sorry for being harsh. Just trying to address the situation as honestly as possible acrost all lines

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad