Rays have explored becoming 2 city team (with Montreal) (upd: rejected by MLB)

Will Tampa move to Montreal within the next 2 years?

• Total voters

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Agreed - to me it comes off as Sternberg's "Mario Goes to Kansas City" moment. Now, whether the powers that be in Tampa or St. Pete's respond in the same manner as those in Pittsburgh did remains to be seen. Either way, it seems if I want to see some former Durham Bulls playing in the last non-retractable dome in MLB I better get on that.
Do you think the rays will stick with Durham if they move up to Montreal.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Do you think the rays will stick with Durham if they move up to Montreal.

That would be the million dollar question. By all accounts, the Bulls are one of the best run teams in Triple-A and the Tampa-Durham relationship has been a fruitful one (Tampa's been Durham's only Triple-A affiliate and since Durham's been a Triple-A team, Tampa's been their only parent) with most of Tampa's top prospects going through Durham on their way to the Show.

If the management group stays in place, I could see that relationship continuing. If new ownership comes with it, I could see new, Montreal-based owners wanting to change affiliates to one of the upstate New York teams (at this point it'd have to be Rochester since Syracuse was purchased by the Mets and at this point the Buffalo-Toronto relationship seems to be working well) and at that point it'd be anybody's guess who Durham would affiliate with. Offhand, the Nats or Marlins would make the most sense geographically as both of their Triple-A affiliates are currently in the PCL with Washington affiliating with Fresno and Miami affiliating with New Orleans (who're set to move to Wichita next year). It'd definitely be a little bizarre to see an NL affiliate and getting used to having to score double switches.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Playing in a dump like Olympic Stadium will cause fans to turn away.

For real, that elephant of a stadium was horrible and the Expos had no choice to move into that monstrosity
Yeah, it was awful. Jarry Park, OTOH, was a gas. Tiny, but a huge amount of fun. IMO, if Montreal builds a good stadium(i.e. Baltimore, Minneapolis, Seattle) in a good location served by the Metro then they have a chance to get some good numbers.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

The lease is team favorable in its final years - St Pete has recovered all its costs and now I see the Rays just saying we outta here - go ahead and sue.

Montreal needs a plan in place quickly and MLB will accept Stade Olympique short term as long as a new park is under construction. My best guess is 2020 is the last year of Rays baseball.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Another interesting detail.

Similar agreement the team had which expired last year. This shuts the door of the Rays talking to Tampa/Hillsborough again pre 2028. The parties couldn't agree of financial terms so it would be fruitless again so no surprise the Rays said no.

What comes next? My understanding the next election in St. Pete's is in 2021 and Sternberg has said he would try with a new mayor if this doesn't go anywhere.

Though the folks in Montreal are working behind the scenes, I think they have time of their side. This saga has a long ways to go still.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Another interesting detail.

Similar agreement the team had which expired last year. This shuts the door of the Rays talking to Tampa/Hillsborough again pre 2028. The parties couldn't agree of financial terms so it would be fruitless again so no surprise the Rays said no.

What comes next? My understanding the next election in St. Pete's is in 2021 and Sternberg has said he would try with a new mayor if this doesn't go anywhere.

Though the folks in Montreal are working behind the scenes, I think they have time of their side. This saga has a long ways to go still.

The Rays have made it clear the team is not viable in St Pete or anywhere in the region for 81 openings a year.

While this chart is a few years old the numbers are pretty much in line with today. The Rays core problem is the population in a 30-mile radius of Tropicana Field is by far the lowest in MLB - shifting east to Tampa would improve that number but is it enough.

2014-weekday-weekend-attendance-e1422605931180.jpg

I know people south of St. Pete who are willing to drive to Tampa but not St. Petersburg because of the Sunshine Skyway which is a drive not for the faint of heart.

sun2.jpg

This is not a bridge you want to be on during a thunderstorm.

I can't see MLB allowing the Rays to be lame ducks for 8 more years. At some point, another city will have a proposal for a new park, it could be Montreal or possibly Nashville. I would not rule out Charlotte or Raleigh either.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Statement from Sternberg

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5384498

"We agree generally with Mayor Kriseman's characterization of our months of conversations, though we would like to clarify two points," Sternberg said. "First, we do not agree that this is the best path forward. Second, we asked for the opportunity to explore this concept with both St. Petersburg and Montreal, and with Tampa and Montreal.

"We recognize that we must now consider our post-2027 options and all that entails, and we remain steadfast in our belief that the Sister City concept is deserving of serious consideration."

And then from Bronfman

Bronfman released a statement later Wednesday, saying he remains "steadfastly committed to the sister city concept with the Tampa Bay Rays and its realization in as timely a fashion as possible."
"Our group continues to be excited by the proposed innovative concept. We will have no further comment at this time."

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Would some billionaire baseball fan just buy the damn team already and build them a new stadium in Tampa or wherever?

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Would some billionaire baseball fan just buy the damn team already and build them a new stadium in Tampa or wherever?
Rays couldn't find a location in Tampa. St. Petes won't let the Rays leave and no billionaire will spend their own money to build a stadium. Rays will stay in Tampa until 2027 and then relocate. This split city will never happen, St. Pete's won't let it happen until 2028 and when the Rays are free to go anywhere, not sure why they'd do a Tampa/Montreal split.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Portland has plans for a retractable roof ballpark.

So is Nashville (Odd choice.)

Orlando is trying to get in.

Ownership still seems to really like this idea for whatever reason...

MLB and the Rays don't believe St Petersburg can support 81 openings a year and frankly have doubts on Tampa Bay itself.

Come 2028 baseball is gone from St Pete - that is a given but I suspect the end will come no later than 2024. When/IF Montreal puts a solid stadium plan on the table things will start to move.

Orlando is a wild card - Pat Williams fought for MLB 30 years ago and with the theme parks it would be easy for the Rays to market roadtrip packages to fans in other cities. As a TV market, it holds its own and the area is more compact than Tampa Bay.

upload_2020-1-31_4-7-9.png

It has been 25 years since baseball announced an expansion to Phoenix and Tampa and I suspect they would like to go to 32 teams that would make scheduling easier. I think if they do expand the AL and NL will be retired with honors and we will see a massive realignment.

Reactions: Centrum Hockey

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
This is going nowhere fast. The Rays are stuck in a lease for 8 more seasons. The City isn't interested in a buyout.

Yes they can look beyond 2028 but that is still far enough away that there won't be any serious stadium talks anywhere. Folks in Montreal (or anywhere else) still have time on their side.

I don't think the logjam clears until after the next election fall 2021. Understand Mayor Kriseman is termed out and there will be a new mayor and council. I see Sternberg waiting out to speak to the new regime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad