Rays have explored becoming 2 city team (with Montreal) (upd: rejected by MLB)

Will Tampa move to Montreal within the next 2 years?

• Total voters

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I promise I'm not trying to be a wise cracking asshole this time, but our ownership was DEAD ASS serious about this. To the point of trying to put out signs during our playoff games. These dudes worked harder on Montreal for the last 6 months than they have on getting anything built in Tampa for the last 6 years. It was a shameless money grab and they didn't even try to hide it and would've let themselves get away with it if MLB did. It wasn't even due diligence, we straight up got told our team can't survive without this

They are just preparing a move, IMO. Montreal or elsewhere.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
They are just preparing a move, IMO. Montreal or elsewhere.

That's not crazy to think either. At this point this reminds of all those years of NFL owners always saying "We'll send them to Baltimore" every time they wanted a stadium built. It's not that I don't believe it, but I don't find the tactic credible when none of these other markets have any kind of ballpark to play in and Tampa at least has a place chosen to build one that not only makes sense but is now being better budgeted into a more affordable project.

If they move the team then good luck....

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Not to send this off in a different direction, but I'll be shocked if neither Nashville nor Charlotte doesn't have a team somehow within the next few years (Vegas as well). My Braves would hate this, but these markets are growing too fast to ignore.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Major League Baseball’s eight-man executive council.

Chicago White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf
Milwaukee Brewers chairman Mark Attanasio
Boston Red Sox principal owner John Henry
Colorado chairman Dick Monfort
Los Angeles Dodgers chairman Mark Walter
Detroit Tigers chairman Christopher Ilitch
Philadelphia Phillies managing partner John Middleton
Kansas City Royals chairman John Sherman

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
My gut feeling given the timing of this announcement is the MLBPA told MLB that a split city arrangement was a non-starter for them.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
I know where the Rays can build a new stadium

Near the site of Raymond James Stadium

This would mean both the Rays and Bucs would play in venues close enough that they would no longer be able to play home games on the same day.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
My gut feeling given the timing of this announcement is the MLBPA told MLB that a split city arrangement was a non-starter for them.
That's a very possible explanation since we have heard no statement from Manfred or MLB in general.

With talks ongoing this is one item they don't want to negotiate through the media

Reactions: Fenway

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
That's a very possible explanation since we have heard no statement from Manfred or MLB in general.

With talks ongoing this is one item they don't want to negotiate through the media

One thing has not changed - getting a new ballpark in Tampa Bay is as likely as English being made the official language of Quebec.

What is noteworthy is how the Rays owner reacted when asked if he felt he was betrayed by the owners.

Sternberg was asked if he felt “betrayed” by his fellow owners.
“That’s a word,” he said. “That’s a word.” He added, “The game is peculiar. Things happen for a lot of reasons — sometimes for the good, but always with good intentions for the game itself. We just quite often have differing opinions on what that might mean.”

Bronfman left to mull next steps for Montreal after MLB nixes Rays' plan

I know where the Rays can build a new stadium

Near the site of Raymond James Stadium

This would mean both the Rays and Bucs would play in venues close enough that they would no longer be able to play home games on the same day.

Just about everybody agrees that the location where the Yankees currently host spring training is about as good as you will find. Cut a deal where the Yanks move ST to St. Pete and that should be enough to appease St. Petersburg.

BUT one core issue remains - can Tampa Bay support 81 openings? I don't think it can.

soundtigersfan

Feb 28, 2007
CT
St. Pete is on a peninsula. I live less than 15 miles away from the stadium and it takes about 45 minutes to get there when traffic is heavy. Put the team in Tampa and the problem is solved. Closer to the major population base and not surrounded by water in 3 directions. Heck, college baseball is popular down here. Just put the team where it's easy to get to and this whole relocation discussion goes away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad