Rays have explored becoming 2 city team (with Montreal) (upd: rejected by MLB)

Will Tampa move to Montreal within the next 2 years?

• Total voters

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Agreed. At some point, you just have to concede it won't work in the Tampa area if you can't get a new stadium built.

I doubt either fanbase wants to share a team. It would be like sharing a soda with a stranger.
I think it will work in Montreal, because I think they'll want to prove they can and will support baseball (not like that was the issue before). To think this was how it would've turned out of the White Sox moved to Tampa back in the late-80s

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The most hilarious thing about this is Olympic Stadium is just as big a dump as the Trop is.

Though at least it's far more accessible.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Does this mean the Jays have a domestic divisional rival now?

Also, the Rays are a pretty good team. Will playoff games still be in TB?

Though I would like to see a team in Montreal again...what a gong show Rays fans (whatever's left of them) have to put up with.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Has this ever worked out long term?

The most hilarious thing about this is Olympic Stadium is just as big a dump as the Trop is.

Though at least it's far more accessible.

No but the plan is to build a cheaper outdoor stadium in Tampa and then play the later games in Montreal. It's a novel idea for sure.

Oh, you wont use tax payer money to pay for a new stadium? Well then allow me to hold the team hostage until you do.

Again, on the surface this isn't for a relocation. They main issue in Tampa, aside from a site, is the insane cost of a domed stadium.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
This sounds like something that would be the topic of an offseason HFBoards thread, rather than an actual thing a team is considering.
I swear I used to see this topic at least once every three weeks 10-12 years ago!

Sad day for Tampa fans. Wondering when the NFL is going to do this to the Jaguars...

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
What this almost certainly means long term is the Rays are dead in Tampa and this is to give Montreal a jumpstart. Not that there would be a long-term two-team city. Of course they don't want to say that yet because Manfred is a good commissioner and he doesn't want Tampa to drop even farther into the bottom of the barrel, where they not only have shitty attendance but also have shitty TV numbers as well. Selig was too arrogant to understand that.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
What 'fans'? Their team is great, tickets and beers are cheap and yet no one shows up to the games....
Have you been to a Rays game in St. Pete?

Tropicana Field is not a good stadium for baseball and there’s nothing entertainment wise near the stadium.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
the last time a team did this they ended up relocating a year or two later

it'd really suck to see TB lose the rays but their stadium situation isn't looking great at all. they play in a dump that's out of the way and i believe their latest ballpark plan was canceled late last year. not to mention they'd have to play indoors because of the terrible weather almost year-long

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
i get this is trying to force the hand of st pete but man oh man.

when i was reading and got to the line about playing in a new stadium in both cities i had to stop i was laughing so hard.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I think this is a first step to see the interest in Montreal for the team to just move there. Seems crazy to be sharing the team between these two cities more then meets the eye I believe happening here.

Giuseppe Franco

Jun 1, 2008
Although I would like to see a team back in Montreal (I went to the Big O and saw the Expos last game at Shea), I do think it’s rich how some of their fans have knocked the Rays attendance as a reason for moving. I mean, do you not know your own team’s attendance history? And yes, of course you had legitimate reasons for those low numbers. So does Tampa. Reminds me of some of my fellow Isles fans who knock other teams for lack of fan support.

Reactions: IslesFan2017

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
lmao that's right, the lease doesn't expire for another 8 years.

so now this whole thing is going to be the turd in the middle of the room for almost another decade.

Jaguar God

Go Bruins!
Jun 19, 2018
Montreal
I swear I used to see this topic at least once every three weeks 10-12 years ago!

Sad day for Tampa fans. Wondering when the NFL is going to do this to the Jaguars...
Jacksonville doesn't have the attendance issues the Rays have...

98.3% capacity 2018 (16th overall)
95.6% capacity 2017 (18th overall)
92.2% capacity 2016 (26th overall)
91.5% capacity 2015 (27th overall)
93.7% capacity 2014 (25th overall).

The Jags are nowhere close to being as bad as the Rays.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
they also only play like 6 games at home so their games are more of an event.

the nfl only plays on sunday, monday and saturday(?) i think so it's easier to get a lot of people there for those games than a wednesday home game against the royals or something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad