Ray Shero is a Magician

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It's amazing what happens when you have open spots all over your top six. If you give guys an opportunity they're gonna produce a decent amount.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Yes, the guy who drafted Staal over Toews/Backstrom and Fluery over E.Staal/Suter is a magician.

Stats have been shown ever and over why Shero is the worst drafting GM in the league. It's no wonder the Pens management pressured him to trade 1sts for help.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Yes, the guy who drafted Staal over Toews/Backstrom and Fluery over E.Staal/Suter is a magician.

Stats have been shown ever and over why Shero is the worst drafting GM in the league. It's no wonder the Pens management pressured him to trade 1sts for help.
He didn't draft Fleury

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
Hes not wrong though..

Weak prospect pool, not bad enough to draft elite talent, not good enough for playoffs, current NHL roster is older and has a lot of cast offs, and not a prime free agency location.

New Jersey
1. has a good prospect pool
2. doesn't need to tank to ensure success
3. has veterans that create a good culture
4. There's no such thing as a prime free agency location. It's whoever has the best offer (money and surroundings)

Philadelphia Ducks

Win it for Ed
May 8, 2011
Ontario, Canada
New Jersey
1. has a good prospect pool
2. doesn't need to tank to ensure success
3. has veterans that create a good culture
4. There's no such thing as a prime free agency location. It's whoever has the best offer (money and surroundings)

While I can accept 2-4. Number 1 is just flat out wrong imo, they have arguably one of the worst prospect pool in the league.

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
While I can accept 2-4. Number 1 is just flat out wrong imo, they have arguably one of the worst prospect pool in the league.

Can you define that for me? Because in my optics its pretty good and criminal underrated.

Start with one of the best AHL teams, then look how many rookies we are playing with on the NHL team who is doing real good.

Then you add a lot of impact college players plus the guys we have running around in OHL and WHL.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Do you have a substantive argument to back up your position? Last time I checked the Penguins finished 5th in the Atlantic the year before Shero took over, with Crosby on the team. Under Shero, they never finished lower than 2nd.

3 Conference Final appearances, 2 Cup Final appearances, 1 Cup. The fact that those results were a disappointment just tells me how dominant those teams were.

All his relevant pieces were in place before he started. Just like Bowman and Chiarelli.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
Can you define that for me? Because in my optics its pretty good and criminal underrated.

Start with one of the best AHL teams, then look how many rookies we are playing with on the NHL team who is doing real good.

Then you add a lot of impact college players plus the guys we have running around in OHL and WHL.

Who on that AHL team do you think is going to be a regular in the NHL? Boucher and Blandisi have done well enough so far, but they top out in the middle six/bottom six.

HF's own top prospect pool ranking had the Devils at 29th.

cdenn15

Sep 7, 2007
Shero's trades weren't the issue in Pittsburgh, it was the veteran signings that were questionable

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
He has done a great job. Don't forget bringing Hynes over from Scranton too. I think he's done a good job bringing out some of these performances and realized his best player was Cory Schneider, with without much personnel up front, and to play to that strength defensively. They may not be a playoff team, but they were no pushover game on the schedule either.
The prospect pool isn't great, but there are a few bright spots in there and they'll have money in the near future to supplement with vets when they want to start pushing again.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Who on that AHL team do you think is going to be a regular in the NHL? Boucher and Blandisi have done well enough so far, but they top out in the middle six/bottom six.

HF's own top prospect pool ranking had the Devils at 29th.

This is completely untrue. I posted it earlier, they're both on pace for over 40+ points. They're 22 and 21.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
This is completely untrue. I posted it earlier, they're both on pace for over 40+ points. They're 22 and 21.

Do you think either will be more than middle six players? The only prospect in the Devils organization that looks like he could be a top line forward is Zacha and he's a question mark.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Do you think either will be more than middle six players? The only prospect in the Devils organization that looks like he could be a top line forward is Zacha and he's a question mark.

Do I have to spell it out? I'd be hugely surprised if neither one ended up as a top line talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad