Ray Shero is a Magician

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
You clearly missed the end of the Lou Era, when Jordin Tootoo was playing 2nd line scoring minutes and #1 PP and our top defensemen scored 15 points.

This team was in the playoff hunt until Trade Deadline with a lame duck roster of PTO's and previous regime holdovers. We had four forwards under the age of 30 at one point.

Check out this gem one of our posters made:

Laughed my ass off over that clip. :laugh:

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
I love how our farm system is always awful, yet every year we continue to churn out NHL talent. Between Blandisi, Boucher, Kalinin, and Wedgewood we pulled 4 NHL'ers out of thin air.

On top of that, Shero has shown he's the undisputed world heavyweight champion of turning bargain bin rejects and training camp invites into productive players. It's not like we'll be lacking bodies.

I think between moulson, parenteau, hickey and grabner the bargain bin champ title still resides with garth snow.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
Devils lines (not exact, but you get the picture) on the last game of 14-15, one month before Shero took over 16 months ago:

Cammalleri-Zajac-Zubrus
Elias-Henrique-Tootoo
Boucher-Gomez-Bernier
Ruutu-Josefson-Gionta

Greene-Larsson
Harrold-Severson
Fraser-Gelinas

Schneider

Here is our projected lineup:

Hall-Henrique-Bennett
Cammalleri-Zajac-Palmieri
Boucher-Zacha-DSP
Kalinin-Fiddler-Josefson

Greene-Severson
Moore-Lovejoy
Quincey-Merrill/Auvitu

Schneider

Not to mention NJ had Santini, Wood and Quenneville as prospect and that was pretty much it. Now, they have: Zacha, Santini, McLeod, Quenneville, Bastian, Wood, Blackwood and Speers who look to have a significant impact down the road

Bennett on the first line? :laugh:

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
Connor Sheary on the first line? :laugh:

Not every player on a line has to be equally talented, it's all about skill and Beau has it. Question is: can he stay healthy

The only reason I mention it is because I wouldn't slot him anywhere in the top 6 because of how injury prone he is. I wouldn't rely on him being there for too long, he's a skilled player, just made of glass.. I personally wouldn't be penciling him in there.

but watch him play a full 82 games this season :laugh:

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
I wasn't arguing whether the Devils after Lou were worse than the Penguins after Shero, I was saying Shero left the Penguins in shambles in 2014. Whether the Devils in 2015 were worse or better is irrelevant to that.

What Shero did with the Penguins is irrelevant to what he's doing with the Devils, which is what this thread is about. I'm sure Canes fans telling you how badly Rutherford did with them got old real fast, too.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Bennett on the first line? :laugh:

look who he's playin with. were trying to spread the talent around. Just cause bennett didn't work out with you doesn't mean he can't turn it around. If he gets injured we got more than enough guys we can call up.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
The only reason I mention it is because I wouldn't slot him anywhere in the top 6 because of how injury prone he is. I wouldn't rely on him being there for too long, he's a skilled player, just made of glass.. I personally wouldn't be penciling him in there.

but watch him play a full 82 games this season :laugh:

That makes no sense he's talented enough. He just scored two goals in a game playing with hall and Henrique. It's like sayin we should play Cammalleri on the fourth line because he's injury prone.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Devils lines (not exact, but you get the picture) on the last game of 14-15, one month before Shero took over 16 months ago:

Cammalleri-Zajac-Zubrus
Elias-Henrique-Tootoo
Boucher-Gomez-Bernier
Ruutu-Josefson-Gionta

Greene-Larsson
Harrold-Severson
Fraser-Gelinas

Schneider

Here is our projected lineup:

Hall-Henrique-Bennett
Cammalleri-Zajac-Palmieri
Boucher-Zacha-DSP
Kalinin-Fiddler-Josefson

Greene-Severson
Moore-Lovejoy
Quincey-Merrill/Auvitu

Schneider

Not to mention NJ had Santini, Wood and Quenneville as prospect and that was pretty much it. Now, they have: Zacha, Santini, McLeod, Quenneville, Bastian, Wood, Blackwood and Speers who look to have a significant impact down the road

Based on the above, it looks like Shero's taken a bad roster and turned it into a middle-of-the-pack one. I'm not sure that's enough of an improvement to warrant a thread title of "Shero is a magician" or talk of him being a genius, though.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Turned around what? No 1C, no 1D nobody in the system capable of becoming one, how is that turning it around? Devils sure as hell arent as good as Philly nor the Isles. What do the Devils have to answer Tavares and Giroux? Henrique? LOL. Im not sure how your defense could be any worse than it is now tbh. 1 top pair dman no other top 4dmen, and a bunch or bottom pairing dmen, with only Severeson with potential to become a too 4 dman.

Have you ever heard if Andy Greene. We have Taylor hall. Henrique scored 30 goals last year you don't know **** about the Devils. The Isles got worse and the Rangers didn't improve Philliy didn't get better, they signed dale wiese And their d sucks overall until their prospects emerge and their goalie is average at best, while we have one of the best in the league. You literally know nothing about the Devils lol stop embarrassing yourself. Bunch of bottom pairing dman my ass. The only thing you probably know is we traded for Taylor hall.

We need to have a IQ test to join this board any 16 year old with a smart phone can join these days.

Last edited:

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Based on the above, it looks like Shero's taken a bad roster and turned it into a middle-of-the-pack one. I'm not sure that's enough of an improvement to warrant a thread title of "Shero is a magician" or talk of him being a genius, though.

We can make the playoffs with that team and we didn't have to tank. I wouldn't call him a genius, but he's done a damn good job. Plus we did in a respectable fashion unlike certain teams. We always tried to ice the best team possible and never once tried to tank. We got Hall, Palmieri, Smith-Pelly, Bennett and Quincy cheap. Plus we have drafted well, much better since Shero got here. Another thing is the amount of the amount of cap space we have. Which Lou deserves credit for but Shero also hasn't thrown it away. If we don't make it this year were making the playoffs next season, I would bet my life on it.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
What Shero did with the Penguins is irrelevant to what he's doing with the Devils, which is what this thread is about. I'm sure Canes fans telling you how badly Rutherford did with them got old real fast, too.

But I was specifically responding to someone who said that "no team that has Crosby and Malkin can be described as shambles". I never said that Shero has done a bad job in NJ because of what he did in Pittsburgh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad