TSN: Ray Ferarro: Jannik Hansen's price should be 1st + good player/Prospect

VQ35

Feb 18, 2017
British Columbia, CA
I think a mid or late first with a decent prospect is fair on both ends considering how this upcoming draft is projected. If it was what's suppose to be a deep draft year I think just the mid first could get a guy like Hansen, although Pouliot + the 1st might be overpaying especially if the team acquiring him doesn't have any plans to resign him.

Let's be real though, Benning will have a decent deal on the table and the Aquilini's will make him hold out for more, the deadline will hit with no deal in place and Hansen will walk as a UFA

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Is anyone overrating him though?

Calling him a legit top six winger would be overrating him.

Don't think I've seen much of that on here..

He's a versatile winger who can play up and down any teams line up, score some goals, kill some pks, get a shorthanded goal, get in your face, get in on the forecheck, has some speed, on a good contract. The type of player every team heading into the playoffs should have on their wishlist or at least have as something that would benefit them.

Nobody is calling him an allstar.

I would not worry about fans that always are negative about every posting under the sun unless it involves their team ripping off another team . Hansen has some value . I don't think he worth a 1st on his own but a deal where the Canucks take on a cap dump for 1 or 2 years you would probably get a 1st . His value is probably a 2nd in the 32 to 42 range . Boost that up by taking a Fayne or Pouliot type of dump

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
wouldn't the point be to get picks/prospects for a team that is clearly going nowhere at present? VAN desperately need to get more talent, especially young talent . Keeping Hansen so they are less bad makes no sense.

Makes 0 sense to keep arguably your hardest working player for the past x amount of years to help transition the team and teach the young guys?

Im all for trading him, but the return with a year left on his deal should be quality not just a single draft pick that could be a late 2nd round pick.

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
Makes 0 sense to keep arguably your hardest working player for the past x amount of years to help transition the team and teach the young guys?

Im all for trading him, but the return with a year left on his deal should be quality not just a single draft pick that could be a late 2nd round pick.

This. . . You don't rebuild by moving all of your leaders out and hoping all your young guys somehow figure it out on their own. . . If the right deal comes along it'll be worth moving Hansen but it would pointless to move him for peanuts just so you can say you got "something"

That's not to say the Hamhuis situation from last year wasn't a complete debacle. . Considering they didn't move him as a UFA and he wasn't in their plans going forward, that is a situation where they should have made a trade

TacitEndorsement

Jul 2, 2009

So would you prefer to trade Baertschi, or Granlund, or lose one of them for nothing?

I would prefer to trade Hansen than either of those options.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
So would you prefer to trade Baertschi, or Granlund, or lose one of them for nothing?

I would prefer to trade Hansen than either of those options.

this can be an issue obviously. It is a hard decision to make, not entirely sure if we can extend Hansens deal or not. But if we could and he signed for a reasonable amount I think it would be beneficial to have him here for a few years. Great 3rd liner with the ability to step up when injuries or a shake up is needed.

But I know the expansion draft does affect this. Unless we traded away Sbisa then could we not protect an extra F? Forgive me for not knowing all the in and outs of the expansion draft rules.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
I'm all for trading Hansen of the return is right, but who gives a rats ass if they lose Granlund?

I certainly hope they don't waste a spot protecting him from expansion.

He has surprised me this year and done more than I thought. Not that he is an exact comparison to his brother but in the next year or two he could have a breakout year like his brother is having in Minnesota.

Be nice to keep him around, I think he is an rfa so interesting to see what kind of term and cap hit he is looking for/ Benning will offer him

Shadywing19

Jan 26, 2013
This is good news for wings fans. Because if the goin rate for players Like Hansen is a 1st and a good prospect. Wings should be able to get like 3 firsts. Or like Mitch marner for Tomas vanek straight up!!

(This was sarcasm. FYI).

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
IMHO I'd protect Hansen over Sutter Baertschi and Granlund myself. DimJim? Well he paid big for the latter three so he'd rather lose the best player of all them for nothing.

So is it realistically more likely or unlikely Hansen would be protected?

The cap friendly expansion tool does not auto-protect him, although there are a few weird choices that tool makes.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
So is it realistically more likely or unlikely Hansen would be protected?

The cap friendly expansion tool does not auto-protect him, although there are a few weird choices that tool makes.

the canucks speculated protected list:

sedin
sedin
eriksson
horvat
sutter
baertschi
granlund

tanev
edler
gudbranson

markstrom

current exposed list:

hansen
gaunce
dorsett

sbisa
biega

bachman

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
the canucks speculated protected list:

sedin
sedin
eriksson
horvat
sutter
baertschi
granlund

tanev
edler
gudbranson

markstrom

current exposed list:

hansen
gaunce
dorsett

sbisa
biega

bachman

Which shows the level of competence the Canucks management group is working with. A smart GM would expose Sutter over Hansen as they bring similar production but one does it for far less while some can argue for Bae, I don't mind him. He's got good chemistry with Bo, and he's matured into a top6 forward for us.
With two 2nds I'd try bribe LVGK's to take those 4 more years of 4.3 worth of Sutter and truly commit to rebuilding. That'd be 18.5 million upfront the Canucks would open the following offseason.
But to protect mr 16+ mins average while only now scoring at 30 point pace, just doesn't make sense even if you wanna claim Granlund's 900K 1 year is more long term manageable, yes when comparing 3rd line LW's yo Top6 RW's in Hansen. You'll alway pay less for worse players. This doesn't win you games.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
This. . . You don't rebuild by moving all of your leaders out and hoping all your young guys somehow figure it out on their own. . . If the right deal comes along it'll be worth moving Hansen but it would pointless to move him for peanuts just so you can say you got "something"

That's not to say the Hamhuis situation from last year wasn't a complete debacle. . Considering they didn't move him as a UFA and he wasn't in their plans going forward, that is a situation where they should have made a trade

If you are rebuilding you trade players before they become UFA. Unless you know Hansen will re-sign because he wants to stay in Vancouver it would be stupid to hold onto him especially with a expansion draft coming. Does anyone know if he will re-sign for sure?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If you are rebuilding you trade players before they become UFA. Unless you know Hansen will re-sign because he wants to stay in Vancouver it would be stupid to hold onto him especially with a expansion draft coming. Does anyone know if he will re-sign for sure?

I am pretty sure he would re-sign in Vancouver. But no chance Vegas passes on him if he's exposed imo.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
I think a mid or late first with a decent prospect is fair on both ends considering how this upcoming draft is projected. If it was what's suppose to be a deep draft year I think just the mid first could get a guy like Hansen, although Pouliot + the 1st might be overpaying especially if the team acquiring him doesn't have any plans to resign him.

Let's be real though, Benning will have a decent deal on the table and the Aquilini's will make him hold out for more, the deadline will hit with no deal in place and Hansen will walk as a UFA

Except he's not a pending UFA

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008

Home grown talent, not a vocal negative type at all, has always signed well under market contracts to stay. He like Edler are quite comfortable here, have been for awhile. Each coach and management team has loved him, called him a leader and so on. 4.5 million in cap and a veteran leadership role opening up this summer .
I'd give him the option, he wants out I'll find a team and decent value. If he doesn't I'd listen to offers and unless blown away I'd drop him a 4 year 16 million dollar deal with near the same trade protection he has now.

scratchhayes*

Mar 24, 2016
I'd make sure if I owned a team to tell my GM. Any decent prospect 1st or second round pick packaged for a career role player in Hansen, pack your bags because you're fired.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Itd be crazy if Vancouver didnt at the deadline given the sellers market. Last year they failed to offload Hamhuis and Vrbata. Given when Russell got and the rumored deal they passed up with Chicago for Hamhuis, they probably lose out on 2nd + prospect. Then for Vrbata probably a pick as well.

Not all that much but still lit some picks on fire and threw them out for literally nothing

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
hansen should get a 2nd and 3rd+prospect. not a 2nd and a prospect. hes that valuable. given he has 1 extra year left on his current deal. should be enticing for playoff teams.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Itd be crazy if Vancouver didnt at the deadline given the sellers market. Last year they failed to offload Hamhuis and Vrbata. Given when Russell got and the rumored deal they passed up with Chicago for Hamhuis, they probably lose out on 2nd + prospect. Then for Vrbata probably a pick as well.

Not all that much but still lit some picks on fire and threw them out for literally nothing

They should have traded Vrbata in September after they trashed him about his performance in the playoffs. Clearly they did not want him. Their excuse about his NTC list is bunk. He did not want to move mid-season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad