Ray Emery

Snotbubbles

Oct 25, 2007
I can't get mad at the dude. He has no hips. You should blame the GM for signing him, and the coach for playing him over Mason.

Mason was not mentally ready to play. Did you hear his interview? He said himself, "even if I was ready to go, Razor should get the start". Exactly what I want to hear from my starting goaltender. :shakehead

SAINDON

May 9, 2012
The First State
Mason was not mentally ready to play. Did you hear his interview? He said himself, "even if I was ready to go, Razor should get the start". Exactly what I want to hear from my starting goaltender. :shakehead

I am not going to lose sleep over it, but it is concerning when it seems like the #1 does not have the fire to get in there and have the mentality to shut Rangers down.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It's not about fire, it's about being smart and not re-aggravating an injury.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
35214101.jpg

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia

He said he's talking to Ray's people about Emery's health.

He also said Emery had some minor injury stuff he was dealing with (non hip related) earlier in the year. Regardless, his limited mobility means he's a bad fit for the Flyers. The Flyers need an athletic goalie, it's why Emery and Bryz weren't successful here and why Mason and Bob have been successful.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I'd be ok with Emery as backup for a one year deal for $1 million or so. He wasn't great by any means, but he also was not as bad as many try and make it seem. His final line wasn't impressive, but if you look at the impact he had ont his team, very few of the games in which he played were really games where you are going to point to him as the reason they lost. He played in eight games where the team scored one or fewer goals (I don't know which of those he started). That is more than 25% of the games in which he played (if someone knows which ones he started, that number could potentially be higher). He held his own in the playoffs, and I know he has obvious concerns, but so to to the other options available. If they sign him, provided it isn't a multi-year deal or much more than $1 million, I'm cool with it. IF they don't, I'm also cool with it. There are certainly guys I would prefer (Montoya and Greiss come to mind), but I'd be ok with Emery.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Emery could still be a very useful backup on some teams.

The Flyers are not one of them. (he can still play as a below average backup on the Flyers, but it is not the best fit for either.)

He needs a team who allow few PP chances for the opposition to play to his strengths, he can still play at EV, as he is good with his positioning and glove (most of the time), but his cross crease movement on a team such as the Flyers who face so many special teams situations is not a great fit for either.

If I were Flyers management looking for a backup that fits I would look for an athletic guy, who can move cross crease whos year to year PK SV% is above average for their team. (so ~as good or better than the starters.)

Greiss, Montoya, Peters and Stalock fit that bill.

Montoya and Greiss are the safe bets there.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
I think they will resign him because he is a good teammate, a Veteran presence who knows his place and not a threat to Mason. There are better options available though which is why this approach sucks!

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I think they will resign him because he is a good teammate, a Veteran presence who knows his place and not a threat to Mason. There are better options available though which is why this approach sucks!

There are better options out there, but not that many, and there is no guarantee they will sign in Philly. Here is the entire list of UFAs (assuming no one gets re-signed):

Miller, Ryan » G STL 33 $6,250,000 2014 (UFA)
Brodeur, Martin » G NJD 41 $4,500,000 2014 (UFA)
Hiller, Jonas » G ANA 32 $4,500,000 2014 (UFA)
Thomas, Tim » G DAL 40 $3,750,000 2014 (UFA)
Halak, Jaroslav » G NYI 28 $3,750,000 2014 (UFA)
Dubnyk, Devan » G MTL 28 $3,500,000 2014 (UFA)
Nabokov, Evgeni » G NYI 38 $3,250,000 2014 (UFA)
Bryzgalov, Ilya » G MIN 33 $2,266,234 2014 (UFA)
Khabibulin, Nikolai » G CHI 41 $2,000,000 2014 (UFA)
Vokoun, Tomas » G PIT 37 $2,000,000 2014 (UFA)
Elliott, Brian » G STL 29 $1,800,000 2014 (UFA)
Emery, Ray » G PHI 31 $1,650,000 2014 (UFA)
Giguere, Jean-Sebastien » G COL 36 $1,500,000 2014 (UFA)
Gustavsson, Jonas » G DET 29 $1,500,000 2014 (UFA)
Clemmensen, Scott » G FLA 36 $1,200,000 2014 (UFA)
Labarbera, Jason » G CHI 34 $1,000,000 2014 (UFA)
MacDonald, Joey » G CGY 34 $925,000 2014 (UFA)
Greiss, Thomas » G PHX 28 $750,000 2014 (UFA)
Nilstorp, Cristopher » G DAL 30 $725,000 2014 (UFA)
Danis, Yann » G PHI 32 $675,000 2014 (UFA)
Desjardins, Cedrick » G TBL 28 $650,000 2014 (UFA)
Lawson, Nathan » G OTT 30 $650,000 2014 (UFA)
Stalock, Alex » G SJS 26 $625,000 2014 (UFA)
Montoya, Al » G WPG 29 $601,000 2014 (UFA)
Johnson, Chad » G BOS 27 $600,000 2014 (UFA)
MacIntyre, Drew » G TOR 30 $600,000 2014 (UFA)
McElhinney, Curtis » G CLB 30 $600,000 2014 (UFA)
McKenna, Mike » G CLB 31 $595,000 2014 (UFA)
Murphy, Mike » G CAR 25 $550,000 2014 (UFA)
Smith, Jeremy » G CLB 25 $550,000 2014 (UFA)
Leggio, David » G WAS 29 $550,000 2014 (UFA)
Curry, John » G MIN 30 $550,000 2014 (UFA)
Hutton, Carter » G NAS 28 $550,000 2014 (UFA)
Leneveu, David » G NYR 30 $550,000 2014 (UFA)
Reiter, Ken » G NYI 27 $550,000 2014 (UFA)
Peters, Justin » G CAR 27 $537,500 2014 (UFA)

Of those goalies that are backups (i.e. not Ryan Miller or Jonas Hiller etc), there are really only a handful that I would be interested in more than Emery. Hutton, Montoya, Greiss, Gustavsson, and maybe Peters or Desjardins. After that, the guys are likely going to want more money than it is worth, or are no better than Emery. So that is 4-6 options at this point in time, which may shrink before July 1. I know if Emery signs before July 1 everyone say it is too early blah blah blah because you KNOW that SOMEONE better would have signed and for the same or less money too, but I'm cool rolling the dice on Emery assuming it is on a cap-friendly deal.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
There are better options out there, but not that many, and there is no guarantee they will sign in Philly. Here is the entire list of UFAs (assuming no one gets re-signed):

Of those goalies that are backups (i.e. not Ryan Miller or Jonas Hiller etc), there are really only a handful that I would be interested in more than Emery. Hutton, Montoya, Greiss, Gustavsson, and maybe Peters or Desjardins. After that, the guys are likely going to want more money than it is worth, or are no better than Emery. So that is 4-6 options at this point in time, which may shrink before July 1. I know if Emery signs before July 1 everyone say it is too early blah blah blah because you KNOW that SOMEONE better would have signed and for the same or less money too, but I'm cool rolling the dice on Emery assuming it is on a cap-friendly deal.

The problem is the guys that everyone wants off that list for the backup role are guys that aren't coming here to play 20-25 games a year. Guys like Greiss, Montoya, Gustavsson, and Stalock want to either challenge for a starter role somewhere, or they want to go to a 1A/1B scenario. It sucks that Heeter is awful, because he would be the kind of guy you want in the backup role next year... young, cost controlled, and accepting of the fact that his role is as the backup.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
The problem is the guys that everyone wants off that list for the backup role are guys that aren't coming here to play 20-25 games a year. Guys like Greiss, Montoya, Gustavsson, and Stalock want to either challenge for a starter role somewhere, or they want to go to a 1A/1B scenario. It sucks that Heeter is awful, because he would be the kind of guy you want in the backup role next year... young, cost controlled, and accepting of the fact that his role is as the backup.

Which is why Emery is ok with me. Dubnyk I'd be cool with too but I imagine he is going to want more money and more starting time. Other than that it is slim pickins. I know that people on here might not think Emery will sign elsewhere (or that he is not worth it anyway), but if he does sign somewhere else, you are then looking at the potential of sorting through the garbage and/or overpaying.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Which is why Emery is ok with me. Dubnyk I'd be cool with too but I imagine he is going to want more money and more starting time. Other than that it is slim pickins. I know that people on here might not think Emery will sign elsewhere (or that he is not worth it anyway), but if he does sign somewhere else, you are then looking at the potential of sorting through the garbage and/or overpaying.

Agreed. I think people look at the back up role with the "grass is always greener" mentality as well. Emery may have his physical limitations, but you know what you're going to get with him. He's an average backup who has starting experience and that can make almost all of the saves that he's expected to make. He's the backup. He's not making game changing saves on the regular. If he were, he would be somewhere else as a starter. If you bring in someone younger, you run the risk of dealing with the flaws of a younger fringe goalie, which often includes having games where they just blow up and crumble. You didn't see that once with Emery last year.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
If Mason has a long term injury Emery will not hold up. We will be scramblin for a decent backup when pickings will even be slimmer. Flyers better not blow off his health report or downplay it. It will bite them. Sad that Cal Heeter is our depth at G until Stolarz is seasoned..

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
there are better options that will be out there on July 1. Montoya was playing for 600k this past season. He is a better option.
I like Emery. he is a good dude and has been a good teammate but its time to move on.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
If Mason has a long term injury Emery will not hold up. We will be scramblin for a decent backup when pickings will even be slimmer. Flyers better not blow off his health report or downplay it. It will bite them. Sad that Cal Heeter is our depth at G until Stolarz is seasoned..

you can never have enough goaltending in the system. if the best guy on the board is a goalie you take him. Look at Anaheim.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
there are better options that will be out there on July 1. Montoya was playing for 600k this past season. He is a better option.
I like Emery. he is a good dude and has been a good teammate but its time to move on.

Which is my point. Some team will pay him to either be their starter, or he'll go somewhere where he stands a chance to at least play more than 20-25 times a season. Hell, he might even stay in Winnipeg and become their starter over Pavelec.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Which is my point. Some team will pay him to either be their starter, or he'll go somewhere where he stands a chance to at least play more than 20-25 times a season. Hell, he might even stay in Winnipeg and become their starter over Pavelec.

Montoya a starter in Winnipeg? He is a good backup goaltender but I don't think he is starter material. If Winnpeg is unhappy with Pavalec I could see them making a push for Niemi.
Just because the Flyers have Mason as their #1 for the next few seasons and Stolarz is headed to be the likely starter in ADK does not mean you cant go out and draft another high end goalie prospect if he is on the board when the Flyers pick.
They have done a good job of finally adding to the prospect pool on defense now they need to add goaltending depth.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Montoya a starter in Winnipeg? He is a good backup goaltender but I don't think he is starter material. If Winnpeg is unhappy with Pavalec I could see them making a push for Niemi.
Just because the Flyers have Mason as their #1 for the next few seasons and Stolarz is headed to be the likely starter in ADK does not mean you cant go out and draft another high end goalie prospect if he is on the board when the Flyers pick.
They have done a good job of finally adding to the prospect pool on defense now they need to add goaltending depth.

Oh I have no problem with them adding another couple of goalies to the pipeline through the draft. Look how well it's worked out for L.A. They found their franchise guy in Quick, but they also keep producing assets that they can turn around and trade to better the team.

The backup for this upcoming season has to come through UFA or a trade though. The younger guys like Stalock and Greiss want to go somewhere where they can at least compete a starter position. That's not happening here. Mason is clearly the guy. Most of the veterans out there are about at the same level as Emery. I'm not hellbent on keeping Emery, I just don't think there are many better options out there.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Oh I have no problem with them adding another couple of goalies to the pipeline through the draft. Look how well it's worked out for L.A. They found their franchise guy in Quick, but they also keep producing assets that they can turn around and trade to better the team.

The backup for this upcoming season has to come through UFA or a trade though. The younger guys like Stalock and Greiss want to go somewhere where they can at least compete a starter position. That's not happening here. Mason is clearly the guy. Most of the veterans out there are about at the same level as Emery. I'm not hellbent on keeping Emery, I just don't think there are many better options out there.

I think Stalock will stay in SJ. Especially if Niemi bolts. I just do not trust Emery long term if Mason goes down with an injury. Is Emery fine in spot starts? sure but I don't think hes a guy you can count on for weeks at a time. they need to find another option at the backup position. Montoya or Griess would be a upgrade over Emery.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

The same can be said for pretty much any backup goalie in the league (with a few exceptions where there is a future starter or another guy capable of being a starter). If your starter has a significant injury, you aren't going to be successful. There are guys that are better than Ray Emery out there for sure, but even with those guys if Mason goes down for a significant amount of time the team will be in trouble.

I agree, but again there is no guarantee that Montoya or the other handful of options out there would actually sign here. I'd love Thomas Greiss. He'd be my number one. Montoya and Hutton are on that list as well. But there's no guarantee they'll sign here or that they'll sign for a decent amount. If you wait until July 1, you risk missing out on everything and winding up with Cal Heeter or some other schmuck as your backup...cough...Michael Leighton returns...cough...

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
I agree, but again there is no guarantee that Montoya or the other handful of options out there would actually sign here. I'd love Thomas Greiss. He'd be my number one. Montoya and Hutton are on that list as well. But there's no guarantee they'll sign here or that they'll sign for a decent amount. If you wait until July 1, you risk missing out on everything and winding up with Cal Heeter or some other schmuck as your backup...cough...Michael Leighton returns...cough...
This seems to be a common thread in all of these, well, threads. People are talking about "better" options, yet they don't know whether those actually are options or not. Like you said, there's no guarantee any of those would sign here or for backup money. I'd love Greiss, as well, but when you see guys like him or Stalock making an impact, you have to be pretty naive to think they'll want the same contract and backup minutes as they received in the past.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
An average backup has a .910. Emery was below average. If we can improve in net, we should.

It's also not like Emery's movement is going to improve. If anything it's only going to get worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad