Ray Emery

shipwreck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sep 7, 2011
Texas
I've said it before in other threads, despite taking a beating for saying it. Mason is better, but Emery is a decent backup. And, I wouldn't mind seeing him back for one more years Much rather have him than Heeter

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
His hips were killing him. You could tell. He was getting slower and slower going side to side. I do feel for the guy. He could be a good goalie if his hips were not so bad.

Next game I'd go with Mason if he is 100%. If not stick with Emery. Was shaky in the beginning of the game, but settled down well.

In regards to next season, I'd go a different route. Dont know how much longer those hips will hold (plus one good playoff game does not erase the pretty bad regular season he had)

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
After the second goal he started playing deeper in his net and it helped a lot.

He looks like he's not feeling great out there at times. There was one point where he and a zebra were chatting and he looked uncomfortable. Guy is a total warrior though.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia

He looks like he's not feeling great out there at times. There was one point where he and a zebra were chatting and he looked uncomfortable. Guy is a total warrior though.
Yeah Tocchet noted the same thing about playing deeper. The D also limited the side to side attempts. It is a shame that physically he has limits but agree that mentally he is one tough mofo...

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
NO... just no..

look its been great that Emery has played well in the POs so far.

but next season i want a backup that has hips.. this is not an optional feature in a goalie

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
With the technical work Emery has done on his game since 2010, it really is interesting to imagine what he'd be like if he had any lateral mobility. Guy deserves major credit for redefining himself and overcoming his condition.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He makes pretty much every save in front of him. Side to side is always going to be his Achilles heel, but the team can try and defend the cross ice pass if he can continue to make the routine saves.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
have utmost respect for ray.what he did today was awesome.

but next year we need new backup,obviously.ray is not going to be physically capable.

and heeter is not the answer.

StandingCow

May 15, 2010
have utmost respect for ray.what he did today was awesome.

but next year we need new backup,obviously.ray is not going to be physically capable.

and heeter is not the answer.

Can't judge heeter on that one game. They should test him out during the pre-season and maybe a few regular season games first.

AaronTrieu

Mar 6, 2008
He's a warrior that doesn't give up on the guys in front him. He will bail them out. I can see why the skaters love playing for him.

shipwreck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sep 7, 2011
Texas
Can't judge heeter on that one game. They should test him out during the pre-season and maybe a few regular season games first.

The problem with that is if it continues to not work out, the time to grab a better second is probably past... They will have zipped past the summer when certain others would have been available...

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
This game reminded me of an interview with Emery early in the season, where he admitted that he is getting on in years and obviously had mobility limitations, but said that as a veteran he could play a smart game of angles. Plus, Emery used his experience to anticipate the passes and was cheating effectively to get over and square himself for one-timers.

A win at MSG with Emery in nets and Giroux with 0 shots = Easter miracle.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
This game reminded me of an interview with Emery early in the season, where he admitted that he is getting on in years and obviously had mobility limitations, but said that as a veteran he could play a smart game of angles. Plus, Emery used his experience to anticipate the passes and was cheating effectively to get over and square himself for one-timers.

A win at MSG with Emery in nets and Giroux with 0 shots = Easter miracle.

Emery just earned his entire salary for this year - and very likely a contract offer for next year - by being something Anders Lindback can't be so far: a backup goalie who can win a playoff game.

He was stellar yesterday, and very good in Game 1 too. The Flyers love playing in front of Emery because he is a battler who never gives up. That kind of compete level is contagious, and worth keeping around. Let Heeter work on his game some more next year in the AHL.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
Emery will get exposed by teams on odd man rushes and PP's when cross ice passes are easier. That said, we all know about his hip issues. By all rights he should be a beer league goalie at this point, but he's still playing in the top league in the sport. That says a lot about him.

ericWONT

Ron Hakstol
Feb 7, 2014
Delaware/Philly

+1 to that. Noticed that also, he was just getting blown by as he was almost out of the crease trying to cut down the angle.

I think he was decent. He definitely is the reason why we won that game, but I'm just not sure if his consistency is there. He'd be pretty great if his hips weren't so bad. His lateral weakness is one that other teams can learn to pretty efficiently exploit.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Razor was brought in for that kind of situation and he can work some magic over a limited timespan, when needed.

One can just hope he can do it again in game 3! At some point sooner or later he will get exposed and it's going to be a real letdown...

BleedOrange

BuildThroughTheDraft
Aug 14, 2005
Oshawa Ontario
Razor was brought in for that kind of situation and he can work some magic over a limited timespan, when needed.

One can just hope he can do it again in game 3! At some point sooner or later he will get exposed and it's going to be a real letdown...

Whatever :shakehead

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
I can't get mad at the dude. He has no hips. You should blame the GM for signing him, and the coach for playing him over Mason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad