Ray Emery

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
An average backup has a .910. Emery was below average. If we can improve in net, we should.

It's also not like Emery's movement is going to improve. If anything it's only going to get worse.

If a backup is carrying a .910, then he's either playing behind a very good team, or he should get a shot to start somewhere. Emery is an average backup with limitations... just like every other backup that's not an eventual starter somewhere.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
If a backup is carrying a .910, then he's either playing behind a very good team, or he should get a shot to start somewhere. Emery is an average backup with limitations... just like every other backup that's not an eventual starter somewhere.

Not really. A couple years ago I averaged the save percentages of every backup in the league. .910 was the result.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Not really. A couple years ago I averaged the save percentages of every backup in the league. .910 was the result.

And I would venture to guess that it was in part skewed by guys like Rask who are future starters playing in the role of backup. Steve Mason just finished the season with a .917 save percentage, and people are already calling him a top 15 goalie.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
And I would venture to guess that it was in part skewed by guys like Rask who are future starters playing in the role of backup. Steve Mason just finished the season with a .917 save percentage, and people are already calling him a top 15 goalie.

There were a lot more goalies who weren't Rask. A lot more teams have non-starter material as a backup than you have teams with a future starter waiting in line behind a star.

BTW, as I recall the average for starting goalies was .920. So Mason is just about on level.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
There's a big difference between a .917 and, say, a .907, though (not arguing for either side here yet).

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
An average backup has a .910. Emery was below average. If we can improve in net, we should.

It's also not like Emery's movement is going to improve. If anything it's only going to get worse.

I agree. But the mantra around here of "good things come to those who wait" isn't a guarantee. I know people bash Homer for jumping the gun, but it is far from certain that Montoya, Greiss, Hutton, Dubnyk, or whomever else you might interested in signing will sign here or for a reasonable amount. If Emery will take $1 million, sign him. Maybe Thomas Greiss signs for $1 million in Pittsburgh and he was willing to sign here for that too (maybe). If he is, that sucks and we could have had a nice backup. But maybe a good chunk of those backups re-sign, and the rest are scooped up or are asking too much money. Now who is the backup? Cal Heeter? Someone else? It is so easy to just say "don't sign Emery" without offering any plausible alternatives. Throwing guys' names out there isn't a solution at this point, since 1) we don't know who will actually be a UFA come July first, 2) we don't know if they will sign here even if they are.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
I wouldn't give Emery a penny over league minimum, and that is after looking elsewhere. He can not move , cant play the puck, and is only gonna get slower, he is a terrible fit for our defense.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Improvements are available, but Holmgren is going to freak out and act like he can't get any of them on July 2. There's no need to sign Emery before then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad