Confirmed with Link: Ray Emery re-signed to a one year contract (reported to be $1 million)

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
I didn't read it? Here are the two direct quotes from your post that I was talking about... :laugh:

Yes, backups aren't perfect, but how many of them have physical limitations that stop them from going side to side in under a full minute. The hip is a pretty important part of the body for a goaltender... they kinda need to be able to move around.

Reading and comprehension > you.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Reading and comprehension > you.

What in the world are you talking about? :laugh:

I'm responding to direct quotes from your post.

I'll make it really simple. You said Emery is an OK backup and people shouldn't complain about the signing, then I said that's wrong. What part of this are you struggling with?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
He's a backup most teams would want. People on this forum are overreacting with the resigning of Emery. It's quite pathetic, and makes me question most of the forum-er's understanding of the game.

Emery played well as a backup in the playoffs, anyone who doesn't think that doesn't know hockey.

Every goaltender has weaknesses. It's up to the 5 guys in front of the goaltender, the guys on the bench, and the coaches behind the bench to not let the goaltender's weaknesses become exploited, or for the goaltender's weaknesses to be exploited to a minimal amount. Our defense sucked royally vs the Rangers, and Emery was forced to go lateral and we didn't protect him one bit. Let's put our sticks back down on the ice to help eliminate the cross-ice passes in front of the crease, for starters.

Before you guys get your panties in a twist over Hextall signing Emery to a one year deal, let's talk about plugging up some of the other holes ON the ice, first. Such as, becoming a more disciplined team and taking less penalties (goodbye Hartnell!), not taking offensive penalties, moving the puck out of the D-zone, maintaining neutral zone possession or interrupting the flow, bolster our blue line defensively, don't let opponents skate through the neutral zone and past our blue line without even pressuring them (seriously, does any other team aside from the Flyers allow the opposing teams to skate willingly into our their own zone?), etc etc etc etc.

Those are issues that are going to negatively effect any goaltender, and let's face it, those particular issues I outlined are big problems the Flyers have had for several years now.

Mason/Emery is a solid combination. I am thankful to be seeing Emery in Orange and Black once again; and as someone else previously mentioned in this thread, he IS a good mentor for Mason.

The free agent market just shattered this statement. All the desirable backups were swept up in a couple hours. Emery wasn't among them.

If he were a desirable backup any team would take, the Flyers wouldn't have let him test free agency, and he wouldn't have gotten a paycut while the cap rises, either.

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
What in the world are you talking about? :laugh:

I'm responding to direct quotes from your post.

I'll make it really simple. You said Emery is an OK backup and people shouldn't complain about the signing, then I said that's wrong. What part of this are you struggling with?

The fact that you just nitpick one single line of my post without using any supporting arguments to backup your contradicting opinion; and you also chose not to address the numerous issues I so very simply and clearly outlined in my original post that which play a contributing factor towards the goaltending woes we've been seeing in Philadelphia for many years. In the fourth paragraph of my original post, I listed numerous reasons why we seem to struggle in net. I implore you to address those issues, and not come back with petty rhetoric like you have, such as, "No, you're wrong, you clearly didn't watch the series vs NY", or, "Emery sucks blah blah blah Hextall made a bad signing blah blha blah",[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
He's a backup most teams would want. People on this forum are overreacting with the resigning of Emery. It's quite pathetic, and makes me question most of the forum-er's understanding of the game.
it took less than 3 sentences for you to totally contradict yourself.
congrats?

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
it took less than 3 sentences for you to totally contradict yourself.
congrats?

That is your own personal opinion, and not necessarily fact.

Beef said:
The free agent market just shattered this statement. All the desirable backups were swept up in a couple hours. Emery wasn't among them.

If he were a desirable backup any team would take, the Flyers wouldn't have let him test free agency, and he wouldn't have gotten a paycut while the cap rises, either.

Just because he wasn't some teams first choice in the FA market, doesn't make him a goaltender that teams wouldn't want.

I don't follow other teams much at all, nor have any sort of inkling of what their backup goaltender's contracts look like, but without going into much detail, do you know how Emery's contract looks to his respective counterparts?

Schmidty324

Sep 14, 2010
Philadelphia

Just because he wasn't some teams first choice in the FA market, doesn't make him a goaltender that teams wouldn't want.

I don't follow other teams much at all, nor have any sort of inkling of what their backup goaltender's contracts look like, but without going into much detail, do you know how Emery's contract looks to his respective counterparts?

all 1-2 year deals. all 975k-1.05mil. So all roughly the same contract. it's just that Peters/Greiss/Montoya are better than Emery

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The fact that you just nitpick one single line of my post without using any supporting arguments to backup your contradicting opinion; and you also chose not to address the numerous issues I so very simply and clearly outlined in my original post that which play a contributing factor towards the goaltending woes we've been seeing in Philadelphia for many years. In the fourth paragraph of my original post, I listed numerous reasons why we seem to struggle in net. I implore you to address those issues, and not come back with petty rhetoric like you have, such as, "No, you're wrong, you clearly didn't watch the series vs NY", or, "Emery sucks blah blah blah Hextall made a bad signing blah blha blah",[mod]

OK so now I see you're the one with serious reading comprehension issues.

I was never talking about goaltending issues overall, I was talking about Emery specifically. I picked out two quotes from your posts that said something incorrect about Emery, and I said they were wrong. I don't care about the rest of your post because it's not what I was arguing, although I did read the rest. I'm aware that our poor defense makes it harder on goalies, but it doesn't have an effect on goalies moving side to side, which is Emerys main problem and the main reason he isn't a good backup.

If I respond to a post I'm not required to argue every single point of it, believe it or not. I'm allowed to pick out one thing and tell you your wrong without that taking away from my point.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I believe that Hextall tried to find another backup to replace Emery. Everything just fell thru. Not much you can do about it. Emery is a good dude and a good teammate. Still feel he is a below average backup goaltender and I have little faith in him if Mason goes down with an injury for more then a couple of weeks.
That is great that everyone in the organization loves him. he still stinks.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

They range between 1-3 million, generally. Emery is on the low end, especially considering the rising cap. Desirable backups don't earn the low end on a sizable paycut. Desirable backups aren't released to free agency by their team to try and upgrade the position, and desirable backups don't stay available to be re-signed after the team can't manage to lock anyone else up.

Both the eyeball test and statistics confirm that Emery is not a good backup option. A couple years ago I averaged every backup's stats. They averaged .910, behind the rough average of .920 for starters. Emery just racked up a .903. That is flat out bad, even for a backup. NHL quality backups don't post a save percentage that low behind a goalie with a .917. Emery just isn't NHL quality anymore, and there's a very real possibility that this will be his last year. He's physically unable to keep up with the play.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Have you seen those crazy Devils fans (one in particular) who insist Brodeur was a good or better than Schneider despite posting a .901 SV%, 20 points lower than Schneider?

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
you said: He's a backup most teams would want
this is not right
lots of teams are all set at backup, and quite a few signed others before Emery

hence, he's not a backup most [eg, a minority] would want

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
I'm not too happy with the Emery signing, either, but when he was with the Blackhawks I recall people here praising them for giving him a shot and criticizing Holmgren for giving up on him. How quickly the tables turn, eh? I guess it's true when they say hips are always more mobile on the other side of the fence.

markzab

Sep 6, 2005
Philadelphia, PA.
I'm not too happy with the Emery signing, either, but when he was with the Blackhawks I recall people here praising them for giving him a shot and criticizing Holmgren for giving up on him. How quickly the tables turn, eh? I guess it's true when they say hips are always more mobile on the other side of the fence.

Did you forget that we also gave him a shot last year?

He failed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad