Ray Emery has passed away

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I've always had a special place in my heart for Emery.

Story time. In high school and a couple summers into uni, I had a job doing pools and hot tubs. We did a bunch of work for Sens players at the time, the company was a sponsor of the team. I'll never forget the day I went to Emery's place to fix his hot tub. We ring the doorbell, he answers and is super duper happy to see us, incredibly friendly immediately offers us coffee or beer (this is 10am btw). Anyways, we go through the house. He has almost no furniture and has multiple rooms just full of shoes. We get the hot tub. The problem is obvious to the guy I'm working with who has seen this problem 100x before with the tub. He reaches into the filter and pulls out some women's panties. All parties share a laugh and we're on our way shortly after. Emery gives us both twenties for our trouble.

Was a super short interaction with the guy but I always think of it when he's mentioned. He was so nice and all the other guys at the company said the same when they dealt with him. Meanwhile we had dick's like Mike Eastwood and Dany Heatley to do work for and hated going to their places. Also had a ton of friends working at the Brookstreet at the time and they were all told to just take the abuse from hockey players.

I know Emery had his issues, including those with his fiance and some alleged abuse, eventually leading to her calling off the wedding. He was no saint. But I hope he's at peace. I'm sure he'll be missed by many. Sad day. RIP Ray.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Rip, will always remember his fight with Biron, and him waving his hands to the crowd.

Sabres fan chiming in but also a Binghamton Sens fan back in the day when Ray was an up and comer.

The one thing I remember about that Emery/Biron fight was that Biron was overmatched and both participants knew it. I thought Emery showed respect to Biron for having the balls to drop the gloves and go. Ray could have done some damage to Marty but he went easy on him.

I thought he showed class in doing that.

Ski

Calder Cup Champs
Oct 18, 2007
Binghamton, NY
Very sad to hear the news of Razor's passing.

I've watched Emery develop since the early days in Binghamton and had personal acquaintances with him after games talking about what had transpired. Although he was very approachable and had his demons off the ice, Emery was the one guy in the locker room you could count on in him having your back.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Devastating news. A man still very much in his prime to die in such a manner just should never happen. Gone much too soon to say the least.

My thoughts go to those close to him.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Razor was the goalie when I started following the team as a kid.... great memories, will never forget him

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Ray was a legend. As mentioned he had some amazing moments with the Sens. The Biron fight, the cup run, bailing the Sens out when Dominik Hasek was only playing casually.

But its also pretty incredible to think he had some weird condition that affected his hip bone, got a bone graft and then made a come back a few months later. He bounced around the league for a few years after that, but I can't imagine the amount of rehab it took to get back to a level to be an NHL goalie again.

Reactions: ottawa

CTC

Oct 9, 2014
Terrible news, RIP. I always appreciated his tough as nails persona. Watching him skate with a smile on his face into a fight was pure hype. Playing without a neck protector too and watching him get hit in the throat and shake it off after taking a brief moment...great athlete. You think you play in the NHL, win the stanley cup and make a lifetime's worth of money and you will get to revel in that and tell your grandkids about all the great stories well into old age... That is a scary way to go, heart goes out to his family and friends and all us hockey and Sens fans.
You never know when it is your time, make the most of your life everyone!

Embryo

LGR Check out my music.
Oct 7, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
www.youtube.com
Really sad....Rangers fan here, I can't tell you how many times I have seen Emery play both live and just on TV going to Rangers, Devils and Islanders games ( I follow all 3 teams but am a die heard Rangers fan.) I watched him grow from a rookie to the man he was until the last game I saw him play. Totally horrible and messed up, I really feel bummed. Feel almost as if he was on my favorite team I watched him play so much.

Reactions: Liliaceae

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad