OT: Ravens win 11th Championship

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Carleton's an unstoppable force when it comes to CIS basketball. Phil Scrubb got five championships in his five years at the university. Insanity.

The scary thing is there football team could just be as good in the coming years there first year they were 0-8 then last year 4-4 people are now saying 2015 they will be a play off team.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I was expecting Carleton to win, but they hammered the GeeGees. That's a special run to be sure, Dave Smart deserves a ton of credit.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
I know it will never happen, but I wish I could see Carleton get a shot in the NCAA tourney. They could be a 7-8 seed no problem.

There are some who say its just a matter of time before they go to the Ncaa now how well would they do is another question.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I know it will never happen, but I wish I could see Carleton get a shot in the NCAA tourney. They could be a 7-8 seed no problem.

Uhhh.....

.... maybe a 14-16?

I LOVE my alma-matter, loving the dominance since I was in school, but NCAA teams are another tier all together. Our only hope of competing in the NCAA as anything better than a 10-seed IMO is if we were able to make Carleton the feeder school and main destination for every single Canadian collegiate talent, including the ones who already go to the NCAA to play for American universities. Basically make Carleton a Canadian University "National All Star" team.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Uhhh.....

.... maybe a 14-16?

I LOVE my alma-matter, loving the dominance since I was in school, but NCAA teams are another tier all together. Our only hope of competing in the NCAA as anything better than a 10-seed IMO is if we were able to make Carleton the feeder school and main destination for every single Canadian collegiate talent, including the ones who already go to the NCAA to play for American universities. Basically make Carleton a Canadian University "National All Star" team.

They've been very competitive in exhibition games.

But I'm not going to pretend I know anything about college basketball in the US.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Uhhh.....

.... maybe a 14-16?

You're probably right. But didn't they beat Indiana earlier this year (I know it's only an exhibition game) who are now a #10 seed in the tournament. And honestly, I think the Ravens are about halfway there to becoming the National All-Star team. I could see them winning a game at the NCAA tournament, which is pretty spectacular considering that the best Canadians don't even stay in the CIS.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Hypothetically speaking, let's say the Ravens actually moved to the NCAA.

... home games at the Civic Center? Because there's no way you're going to host NCAA games at the Raven's Nest. The exposure that NCAA basketball would get here in Ottawa would mean minimum crowds of 6k+. The Raven's Nest can hold what... two thousand people, tops?

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Hypothetically speaking, let's say the Ravens actually moved to the NCAA.

... home games at the Civic Center? Because there's no way you're going to host NCAA games at the Raven's Nest. The exposure that NCAA basketball would get here in Ottawa would mean minimum crowds of 6k+. The Raven's Nest can hold what... two thousand people, tops?

I think they would build there own arena.

Spire2000

Jan 22, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
According to that (admittedly really good) Grantland article Bonk quoted above, to join the NCAA, Carleton would only be allowed into Div II and would have to field 10 teams total, 5 men and 5 women. Plus, they would have to stop allowing Dave Smart to coach the summer feeder program he looks after, which is his words are a big part of the reason for Carleton's success.

Not going to happen, clearly.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
According to that (admittedly really good) Grantland article Bonk quoted above, to join the NCAA, Carleton would only be allowed into Div II and would have to field 10 teams total, 5 men and 5 women. Plus, they would have to stop allowing Dave Smart to coach the summer feeder program he looks after, which is his words are a big part of the reason for Carleton's success.

Not going to happen, clearly.

Both Simon Fraser University and Ubc were going to join ncaa d2 and it would have only been football no other sports.

Spire2000

Jan 22, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
According to Wikipedia:

SFU currently has 17 varsity programs competing in the following sports (affiliations included):[3]

Basketball, men and women (NCAA D2);
Cross-country, men and women (NCAA D2);
Football, men (NCAA D2);
Golf, men and women (NCAA D2);
Soccer, men and women (NCAA D2);
Softball, women (NCAA D2);
Swimming, men and women (NCAA D2);
Track and field, men and women (NCAA D2);
Volleyball, women (NCAA D2);
Wrestling, men (NCAA D2) and women (Women's College Wrestling Association);

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Fraser_Clan

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Sure it's a pipe dream, but if they could swing the Ravens playing in the NCAA, it would be unreal. A college-sports-crazy atmosphere brought to Ottawa. That's worthy of building a basketball-specific stadium on campus IMO.

Along with CU's resurgence on the grid iron (which, by the way, are ridiculously entertaining to go to), the sports scene on campus is becoming tremendous.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
There is a push to make a super league for football where the top 8 teams Canada wide maybe that's the way basketball should go.

FireMurray

Dec 8, 2014
Uhhh.....

.... maybe a 14-16?

Canada's been producing elite basketball talent, all of North America included, for about half a decade now. Two straight #1 overall NBA picks. Tons of players at big schools all over the NCAA and many more in the pipeline. If the top Canadian basketball talent committed to a single school it'd easily be a top 3 seed.

The Canadian dominated AAU teams have been amongst the top in the high school circuit for a while too, against elite talent( CIA Bounce)

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
My only problem with the Ravens going to the NCAA is that I loathe the NCAA with a passion.

Amateur university sports is broken on a fundamental level in the States in the major sports. It might do more harm than good in the long run.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Carleton is an awesome basketball program, I was there last yr when they beat Ottawa U for the championship at CTC & I was there this yr when they took back the #1 title back from the Gee Gees. I watched most of the game yesterday & to be ahead by 40 pts in the 4th quarter against the 2nd best team in the country is an unbelievable feat & accomplish. My hat is off to Dave Smart, his associates & the players.

I hope that the Scrubb brothers are drafted into the NBA, both are unbelievable players & pick each other up all the time. They are like the Sedins of basketball & are able to read off each other all over the court. More likely they will end up playing in Europe but it would be cool if they were the first CIS player(s) to be drafted into the NBA even if they never play, it's a start.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
I know nothing about basketball, Carleton or the NCAA but I distinctly remember Dave Smart being interviewed on TSN1200 a while back (more than a year ago) and he was happy to go on at some length about how he dislikes the NCAA and the regulations and restrictions that they would put on him as a coach. It didn't sound like he was in any hurry to join them. The only one that I really remember is around some rule that he wouldn't be allowed to work with his players over the summer or in the off-season or something like that, which I guess he likes to do. Anyway, memory foggy but definitely came out of the interview with the impression that Smart doesn't like the NCAA, which is probably why he is still at Carleton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad