NFL: Ravens and Lamar Jackson unable to reach contract extension

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It’s going to be hard for any QB worth a shit to not get a fully guaranteed deal.

Elvis P

You ain't nothin but a hound dog
Dec 10, 2007
Graceland
Cousins got fully guaranteed on prior contracts as well.
Try to stay in the present, my son. No one, but DeShaun has a multi-year fully guaranteed contract. According to GKJ's original statement he and you are saying that no QB in the league except DeShaun is worth a shit. I agree to disagree with that nonsense. Why are you arguing against the truth with a guy that obviously doesn't know what he's talking about? I'm disappointed.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Try to stay in the present, my son. No one, but DeShaun has a multi-year fully guaranteed contract. According to GKJ's original statement he and you are saying that no QB in the league except DeShaun is worth a shit. I agree to disagree with that nonsense. Why are you arguing against the truth with a guy that obviously doesn't know what he's talking about? I'm disappointed.
Kirk Cousins original deal was fully guaranteed with the Vikings, the team he is presently playing for, sir.

Elvis P

You ain't nothin but a hound dog
Dec 10, 2007
Graceland
Kirk Cousins original deal was fully guaranteed with the Vikings, the team he is presently playing for, sir.
I already addressed this. That was in 2018. We're talking about current contracts. Cousins has a one year extension worth $35M. You said it's gonna be hard for any QB worth a shit to not get a guaranteed contract. No QB except DeShaun has one, including Russell and Murray. Note to self, don't try to reason with GKJ.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Cousins got fully guaranteed on prior contracts as well.

His fully guaranteed contract was only for 3 years and only $84 million, which pales in comparison to what Lamar is asking for. If Lamar wants 3 years/$150 million in a fully guaranteed contract, the Ravens would be happy to give it to him. That is currently not the case.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Cousins has signed two multi-season, fully-guaranteed contracts. You can try to pretend they didn’t happen, but they did. The point is Watson was the first to get five seasons fully guaranteed but wasn’t the first to get a multi-season.

His fully guaranteed contract was only for 3 years and only $84 million, which pales in comparison to what Lamar is asking for. If Lamar wants 3 years/$150 million in a fully guaranteed contract, the Ravens would be happy to give it to him. That is currently not the case.
Yeah, the cap has gone up a lot, so of course numbers go up.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I already addressed this. That was in 2018. We're talking about current contracts. Cousins has a one year extension worth $35M. You said it's gonna be hard for any QB worth a shit to not get a guaranteed contract. No QB except DeShaun has one, including Russell and Murray. Note to self, don't try to reason with GKJ.
Cousins set the baseline so that Watson could do it. That’s how it works. That’s how the next guy gets paid more. This is how it’s been since the advent of free agency, and if you’re going to make it about me personally, you best check yourself.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Cousins set the baseline so that Watson could do it. That’s how it works. That’s how the next guy gets paid more. This is how it’s been since the advent of free agency, and if you’re going to make it about me personally, you best check yourself.

If Watson can get it, how come Murray and Wilson didn't get it afterwards? I'm not saying Lamar can't get one, but your assertion that "it'll be hard for any one worth a shit not to get one" doesn't seem to be playing out in reality.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If Watson can get it, how come Murray and Wilson didn't get it afterwards? I'm not saying Lamar can't get one, but your assertion that "it'll be hard for any one worth a shit not to get one" doesn't seem to be playing out in reality.
Because they were fine to sign a deal without it. They definitely could’ve gotten it if they wanted to. Broncos trade all that for Wilson then not gonna give him exactly what he wanted? Kyler ain’t getting less than $230m even with that nutty provision in it.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
So does Cousins
Term. Cousins original deal was just for 3 years with the Vikings. Similar amount of guaranteed money that Carr and Jimmy G got but they signed for longer term making the final couple of years with limited guaranteed money.

The elite players like a Donald and others get roughly 3 years of average salary as guaranteed money.

Again there is a massive difference in terms of how well run organizations do their contracts vs the badly run teams operate. Ravens looking to maintain some cap flexibility while paying Jackson.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
He's still young enough to where they probably wouldn't regret the contract but IMO hes going to break down earlier than most guys.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Term. Cousins original deal was just for 3 years with the Vikings. Similar amount of guaranteed money that Carr and Jimmy G got but they signed for longer term making the final couple of years with limited guaranteed money.

The elite players like a Donald and others get roughly 3 years of average salary as guaranteed money.

Again there is a massive difference in terms of how well run organizations do their contracts vs the badly run teams operate. Ravens looking to maintain some cap flexibility while paying Jackson.
They can do that, but this is a quarterback league. They’re going to get theirs. Lamar definitely should think he can get exactly what he wants even if he has to leave, when that time comes, unless he gets hurt. He’s more accomplished than Cousins or Watson. Once everyone goes through the cycle again, at least half the QB’s in the league will have it, especially when they take shorter deals to maximize flexibility instead of betting on a restructure. The agents will push for it for sure.

Lamar is still guaranteed $100m over the next 2 years under the franchise tag.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad