Ratings File Uploaded to Yahoo

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
Gents,

An Excel file containing what likely will be the final ratings has been uploaded to Yahoo. We may yet tinker a little with the goalie ratings. At any rate, you can use these ratings to start formulating your rating challenges and for confirming/finalizing your endorsement deals.

One general note...while we have noticed that a few ratings look a little funny (DF, for example), for the most part they're uniformly funny. Please take this into consideration when thinking about rating challenges.

Regards,

Matt Gledhill
HFNHL Commissioner

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Matt,

Any chance we can get the OV rating? It impacts the attendance percentage for the endorsement deals.

Thanks,
Claudio

Unfortunately, the OV caluclation is not straight-forward, so we can't tell you what it will be until the attribute ratings are entered into the sim. If there is a SHORT list of players you need to check, you might ask one of the folks with FHL to enter these ratings in to output the OV ratings. Or you could always pick up FHL and try it yourself... ;)

Mandaou

Mar 6, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
OV

Thanks. I didn't realize that's how it works. I'll make some assumptions based on the previous ratings, which included the OV.

Claudio

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
One note:

We're taking a look through the goalie ratings as a seperate category, since there are a number of oddities. We should have the proposed ratings (again, without OV) by the end fo the weekend.

Donga

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I will try and get all the overall ratings done over the weekend. thats assuming i can find the tool that i used before on my computer. :help:

I'm finally free of exams... yippee for me. :yo:

Mandaou

Mar 6, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Re-rates?

I compared my team's ratings to the previous released version and every one of my players ratings except 4 have gone down. Younger player ratings went down even more as a proportion to the others. Is this consistent with how the league went about the re-rates? Just an observation.

The only major problem I had was with Arnott's ratings. He had a career year last year but his ratings number dropped about 20 points in total over last year but I guess I can address those in the rating challenges.

The only other problem I had was with goalie ratings (Johnson) but I'll wait until the re-rates are completed for goalies.

Thanks for all the great work guys. I'm sure its not easy going over every player and analyzing each category and then comparing them to others. In general my teams and other team's player ratings appear to be pretty good.

HFNHL Red Wings

Excellent Dion. Thank you very much.
I'm not familiar with the tool you used but can it be used to import the ratings so I don't have to key them all?

Donga

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Drew,

I was using the same tool that I stuffed up with during the lockout. I could give you the .DRS file that way you don't need to key it in. But with this, it assumes that I have all the correct height, weight, contracts, place of births, numbers.. etc...

But I will see what I can do..

Default101

i am getting my lines set up based on the new ratings and i noticed that one of my players; Denis Arkhipov isn't listed dispite the fact he's playing in the NHL this season, and has played there before..

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
i am getting my lines set up based on the new ratings and i noticed that one of my players; Denis Arkhipov isn't listed dispite the fact he's playing in the NHL this season, and has played there before..

There are a handful (a dozen or so) players whose ratings are not included. Those players are being identified during the keying process, and ratings will be provided. In the meantime, if anyone else notices a player THEY INTEND TO DRESS whose ratings do not appear, let us know.

Default101

ok, well other players include Joey Tenute, Toby Petersen, Francis Lessard, Mario Scalzo, Wade Skolney, i know these aren't very skilled players basically the only reason they're listed is because i have players as low as 65 in my line-up so i believe any of them could make the team, and i'm 6 points away from having a 70avg. (not including goaltenders) so even if they don't reach 70 it might be enough to bring my team up to what it needs to for qualifying sorry for being such a pain here.

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
DF ratings seem too low

Is there something wrong with the DF rating. It seems everybody went down a lot on the NYI compared to last year.

We may have a lot of 8-7 games next year.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
ok, well other players include Joey Tenute, Toby Petersen, Francis Lessard, Mario Scalzo, Wade Skolney, i know these aren't very skilled players basically the only reason they're listed is because i have players as low as 65 in my line-up so i believe any of them could make the team, and i'm 6 points away from having a 70avg. (not including goaltenders) so even if they don't reach 70 it might be enough to bring my team up to what it needs to for qualifying sorry for being such a pain here.

Not a pain, don't worry about it - we'll certainly do what's necessary for those teams that are struggling with the minimum OV requirement.

BTW, please note the OV ratings generated by Dion's program are APPROXIMATE - they may be off by a point or two in some cases, vs. what the sim itself generates.

Hasnain, we agree the DF ratings are not ideal, by a long shot. I think you'll find other teams' DF went down similarly, so while you're right - we may find a number of high-scoring games - at least the impact will be balanced. And if nothing else, I trust the randomness of the sim to still generate some bizarre outcomes, at both ends of the spectrum. By all means, however, i certain ratings stand out for you as being particularly bad, you are encouraged to use a ratings challenge as appropriate. More on that to follow.

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Not a pain, don't worry about it - we'll certainly do what's necessary for those teams that are struggling with the minimum OV requirement.

BTW, please note the OV ratings generated by Dion's program are APPROXIMATE - they may be off by a point or two in some cases, vs. what the sim itself generates.

Hasnain, we agree the DF ratings are not ideal, by a long shot. I think you'll find other teams' DF went down similarly, so while you're right - we may find a number of high-scoring games - at least the impact will be balanced. And if nothing else, I trust the randomness of the sim to still generate some bizarre outcomes, at both ends of the spectrum. By all means, however, i certain ratings stand out for you as being particularly bad, you are encouraged to use a ratings challenge as appropriate. More on that to follow.

Doug,

I am just surprised at some of the DF rating my players got. For example, Keith Tkautchuk has been rated 61 while he may not be a best defensive player but he is not as bad as 61. I don't know who has been rating DF but I don't think it is consistant around all players.

Tampa GM

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
Petteri Nummelin and Ville Peltonen is not listed either. They are two players that I might use this season depending on ratings. Both have played in the league before.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
Doug,

I am just surprised at some of the DF rating my players got. For example, Keith Tkautchuk has been rated 61 while he may not be a best defensive player but he is not as bad as 61. I don't know who has been rating DF but I don't think it is consistant around all players.

If you notice in the original post in this thread, Matt said,

"One general note...while we have noticed that a few ratings look a little funny (DF, for example), for the most part they're uniformly funny. Please take this into consideration when thinking about rating challenges."

You'll just need to challenge ratings like Tkachuk's. From what I understand, GM's will have the opporunity to challenge more ratings than have been allowed in the past.

Last edited:

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
If you notice in the original post in this thread, Matt said,

"One general note...while we have noticed that a few ratings look a little funny (DF, for example), for the most part they're uniformly funny. Please take this into consideration when thinking about rating challenges."

You'll just need to challenge ratings like Tkachuk's. From what I understand, GM's will have the opporunity to challenge more ratings than have been allowed in the past.

As Sean says. But I have to add, Tkachunk (sic) is pretty bad. ;)

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Is there something wrong with the DF rating. It seems everybody went down a lot on the NYI compared to last year.

We may have a lot of 8-7 games next year.

Also just to add on what Doug and Sean have mentioned, we did look at uniformly increasing the DF ratings (a % increase). Or at least that was one of the things I was asked to look at. I think that at the same time as guys going down, a lot of guys went up in DF. Just in general the ratings are a little off there. So rather then doing this % increase, (which wouldnt help some of the undervalued guys very much), we decided to just allow for GM's to challenge the DF ratings they feel are off. That way, we don't have this % increase, which FURTHER increases some of the DF ratings which may have been generous or essentially fair such as Alexander Frolov, Fredirik Modin, Dainus Zubrus, Tony Amonte, Simon Gagne, and the list goes on, into the upper 70's. By simply allowing the DF to be challenged, we keep a lot of guys where they should be, and ensure that the guys cheated out will also get to where they should be.

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Also just to add on what Doug and Sean have mentioned, we did look at uniformly increasing the DF ratings (a % increase). Or at least that was one of the things I was asked to look at. I think that at the same time as guys going down, a lot of guys went up in DF. Just in general the ratings are a little off there. So rather then doing this % increase, (which wouldnt help some of the undervalued guys very much), we decided to just allow for GM's to challenge the DF ratings they feel are off. That way, we don't have this % increase, which FURTHER increases some of the DF ratings which may have been generous or essentially fair such as Alexander Frolov, Fredirik Modin, Dainus Zubrus, Tony Amonte, Simon Gagne, and the list goes on, into the upper 70's. By simply allowing the DF to be challenged, we keep a lot of guys where they should be, and ensure that the guys cheated out will also get to where they should be.

I am just curious on how DF rating was changed. From the original sim rating that Matt posted prior to the excel version showed 67 DF rating for Tkatchuk and on excel, it was adjusted downwords to 61. Also, I see players who have played less than 1/2 season rated in the range of 75-79 which tells me that the rating is not consistant. I always thought that we took an average of 3 year performance rather than taking only last season.

As for challenge, yes I can challenge 5 ratings but what about teams whose players are overrated? Perhaps each team should be allowed to challenge other teams over rated players.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I am just curious on how DF rating was changed. From the original sim rating that Matt posted prior to the excel version showed 67 DF rating for Tkatchuk and on excel, it was adjusted downwords to 61. Also, I see players who have played less than 1/2 season rated in the range of 75-79 which tells me that the rating is not consistant. I always thought that we took an average of 3 year performance rather than taking only last season.

As for challenge, yes I can challenge 5 ratings but what about teams whose players are overrated? Perhaps each team should be allowed to challenge other teams over rated players.

We used those ratings with ratings from another league and took the average of the two. Both sets of ratings had their strong and weak points, so thus averaging the two ended up working pretty well.

Also as Sean said, their is the chance that teams will be able to challenge more than 5 ratings this year.

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
I have a few guys where I almost think that the guy who rated them has never seen the player play. Is it possible to just get a player completely re-rated? Here are two examples:

-Afanasenkov: known as one of the faster forwards in the NHL, a good 2-way skills and with good defensive awareness, yet his DF is down at 52. That's 13th lowest in the league!!! That's lowest of the NHL regulars!

-Ranger: I know the playoffs are not supposed to count in the ratings, but he was the top D and pretty much the MVP of the team. Ranger was a top 4 D for most of the season for Tampa and played and had great stats for a rookie D. Still he's rated like a borderline AHLer. Among other things he was 2nd on the team in +/- and still only a 63 in DF and overall just a 68.

-added via edit-

Atleast the ratings based on stats seem to be strictly 1-year ratings, not 3-year ratings as we're used to. Why have we moved away from the 3-year ratings that were much more predictable?

Last edited:

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Atleast the ratings based on stats seem to be strictly 1-year ratings, not 3-year ratings as we're used to. Why have we moved away from the 3-year ratings that were much more predictable?

Simply put, none of us had the time to do a comprehensive re-rate of the entire player base, so we went with published ratings from other leagues - however they were generated - and averaged them in order to even out most glaring discrepancies.

Far from an ideal solution, I grant you, but everyone's impacted pretty much evenly.

And you're right, Ville: playoffs don't count towards ratings, except possibly as an argument for a rating challenge. If they did, Bernier and Penner would be much better rated for me!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad