Rating our tv colour guys(not named Hnidy)

Who's been the best colour guy so far (2 votes allowed)

• Trevor kidd

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Ray Ferraro

Votes: 75 84.3%
  • Dave poulin

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • Nick Boynton

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Sawyer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dave Tomlinson

Votes: 15 16.9%
  • Jamie mclennan

Votes: 17 19.1%

• Total voters

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
I was just thinking the other day - why do we have so many different colour guys? Are we really doing a 7 man audition over the course of a season?

As far as I am concerned, give Ferrarro the job, I don't think the other guys really offer much that he doesn't already cover and more.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I was just thinking the other day - why do we have so many different colour guys? Are we really doing a 7 man audition over the course of a season?

As far as I am concerned, give Ferrarro the job, I don't think the other guys really offer much that he doesn't already cover and more.

I don't think Ferraro is on the list of possibles. AFAIK he has a job. He is just guesting with Jets on TSN.

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
I don't think Ferraro is on the list of possibles. AFAIK he has a job. He is just guesting with Jets on TSN.
When Hnidy's move to Vegas was announced I recall they also announced a plan to cycle between Ferraro, Poulin and McLennan as fill-ins until a permanent replacement is found.

EDIT: I found the article in the Freep (it wasn't paywalled for me so I hope it's okay for me to post here)

TSN is reaching into its deep roster of on-air talent to fill the role of analyst on Jets broadcasts, left vacant by the recent departure of Shane Hnidy.

Veteran broadcasters Ray Ferraro, Dave Poulin and Jamie McLellan, all former NHLers, will each work between five and 10 of TSN3’s 60 regular-season Jets games in 2017-18. CBC and Sportsnet will carry the remaining 22 games. Last month Hnidy was hired as a television analyst for broadcasts of Vegas Golden Knights, the NHL’s newest team.

"It’s been an interesting challenge trying to replace Shane," said TSN’s vice-president and executive producer of live events Paul Graham Friday morning. "Shane was a tremendous part of our telecasts and well liked and respected from everyone, the fans, the Jets and his peers."

The Vancouver-based Ferraro and the Ontario-based Poulin and McLellan, all of whom have additional responsibilities with TSN, are not viewed as long-term replacements for Hnidy.

"In the meantime, we’re going to audition a few guys during the pre-season and potentially some more during the course of the season," Graham said. "And ultimately, at some point during the season, we’ll decide on one or two who we think we want to move forward with — outside of Ray, Jamie and Dave."

Graham said three former pro players with varying amounts of broadcasting experience will have an opportunity to audition during the upcoming pre-season.

Nick Boynton, who has worked on Arizona Coyotes broadcasts; Dave Thomlinson, who has been employed in Vancouver radio and helped out on TSN’s world hockey championship broadcasts; and Kevin Sawyer, who has served on Shaw TV’s Western Hockey League shows, will team up for two games each with play-by-play man Dennis Beyak.

Former NHL goaltender Trevor Kidd, a more recent fixture on Jets radio pre- and post-game shows, will also get a chance to work with Beyak on some Jets TV broadcasts during the regular season. Graham said other candidates may also eventually figure into the mix.

Mike Johnson, who once worked on Jets telecasts and recently returned to the TSN stable, will not be part of the Winnipeg broadcasts.

Hnidy, a 41-year-old Neepawa native, had been a part of the Jets radio and television broadcasts on TSN 1290 and TSN3 since the franchise relocated from Atlanta for the start of the 2011-12 NHL season. He became the Jets’ full-time TV analyst in 2014.

There are four years remaining on TSN-Jets television deal.

[email protected]
Twitter: @sawa14
[email protected]
Twitter: @WFPJasonBell

Last edited:

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB

Pretty much yes. But unfortunately, only the TSN "newbies" are being considered. The senior guys like Ferrarro, are just fill-ins.

"In the meantime, we’re going to audition a few guys during the pre-season and potentially
some more during the course of the season," Graham said. "And ultimately, at some point
during the season, we’ll decide on one or two who we think we want to move forward with - outside of Ray, Jamie and Dave."

source: https://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/assets/binary/291096014/binary-file/file.pdf
(Page 2 and 3)

Of all the "newbies" , Dave Tomlinson would be my choice for the job.

JJBl0Ls5.jpg

IMO, the rest are pretty awful so probably best not to have a second man.

Last edited:

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Kidd just needs to realize he doesnt need to talk all the time. He's a good analyst, terrible broadcaster. Needs to stop trying to hard. Same can be said for all the other inexperienced guys.
This, and just talk relaxed when you do talk.

He tends to try to wrap up a statement every time he talks, when he should talk to the audience like he’s having a beer with them and watching at a sports lounge. Ferraro excels at that, very relaxed casual, which makes me feel relaxed. I tend to feel uncomfortable when Kidd is trying to wrap up a statement with poorly chosen words, on a point that was lost 3 sentences ago.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

TSN uses Ferraro on their Leafs broadcasts. Plus a few Habs & Sens games He's not available to do 62 games plus preseason

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
I hope I'm not beating a dead horse by resurrecting this discussion... :deadhorse

Dave Tomlinson doing colour commentary while Dennis Beyak called PBP on last night's broadcast was thoroughly enjoyable! Their styles definitely complement each other. Dennis did his classic guzinta, abacus, toe-counting and calendar-timing shticks and Dave picked up everything that Dennis was putting down. It was pure gold! :thumbu:

Or perhaps I'm just overjoyed that I haven't heard Kidd or Boynton for a while... :huh:

Last edited:

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
I hope I'm not beating a dead horse by resurrecting this discussion... :deadhorse

Dave Tomlinson doing colour commentary while Dennis Beyak called PBP on last night's broadcast was thoroughly enjoyable! Their styles definitely complement each other. Dennis did his classic guzinta, abacus, toe-counting and calendar-timing shticks and Dave picked up everything that Dennis was putting down. It was pure gold! :thumbu:

Or perhaps I'm just overjoyed that I haven't heard Kidd or Boynton for a while... :huh:
I would agree. For the life of me, I can't understand how Boynton did radio before this. he has no passion.

Reactions: jefferoni

hockey-brent

Sep 1, 2006
Winnipeg
Here's my ranked list:

Ferraro
Poulin
Tomlinson (quite impressive being new on the scene, is Ferraro-like. Former Jet too :thumbu:)
Noodles McLennan
Kidder (better on radio - has the face for it too LOL)
Sawyer
Boynton

I'd be happy if the last two never re-surfaced on Jets broadcasts again.

Reactions: jefferoni

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Why did Hnidy leave? *** Just googled and saw went to Vegas.

Yeah, like who would rather live in Vegas over Winnipeg!

Tomlinson was pretty good in the past few games he has done. His NHL "goal" was with the Jets who he played the longest for in his NHL career. Don't think we could get Ferraro or Poulin full time to do Jets games.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Yeah, like who would rather live in Vegas over Winnipeg!

Tomlinson was pretty good in the past few games he has done. His NHL "goal" was with the Jets who he played the longest for in his NHL career. Don't think we could get Ferraro or Poulin full time to do Jets games.

Tomlinson works for TSN radio in Vancouver.

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
So...if he was to become the "full time" Jet guy, I wonder if they would require him to live here?

I know until Hnidy came along we had Johnson, Engblom, and others who didn't live here. I guess Engblom could have taken the opportunity to catch up with family (if he still has some here), so he likely didn't mind coming here.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Hope there's an elimination round soon, so we don't have to hear Boynton or Sawyer anymore!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad