Rating Leafs Deadline Trades

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Based on other NHL trades. Ie. Sekera, Tlusty, Bergenheim, Devante Smith-Pelly. How would you rate the Leafs moves thus far?

1. Franson/Santorelli for 1st rd pick + Leipsic

2. Winnik for 2016 2nd rd pick + 2015 4th rd pick + Sill

Poor, Fair, Good, Could have gotten more

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Fair. Good value nothing mind blowing. Still got a few days though to really pull something crazy off.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Still 4 days before TDD. Probably should keep this thread closed until then. The answer might variate by quite a bit.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Franson+Santorelli for the 25-30th pick and a B class prospect was not great.

Winnik for 2nd in 2016, again not great, could have gotten a 2nd in 2015.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I would have voted fair to good had Carolina not gotten a 1st and Roland McKeown for Sekera. That deal changed my perspective on the Franson and Santorelli deal.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
If you would've told me at the beginning of the year that the Leafs would have:

2015 1st round pick
2016 2nd round pick
2015 4th round pick
Brendan Leipsic
Zach Sill

for Franson, Santorelli, Winnik I would've laughed my ass off. Very good so far from the Leafs

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
Will this in any way help Nonis' stock? I mean, it seems like he's just been puppet for the big guys, makes the trades he is told to make. Are we really still going to blame him for the Bolland, Holland and Bernier trades? (i.e. giving up all of our 2nds when they never really helped)

Bleed Blue and White

Oct 4, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
From who?

From Pittsburgh.

I think we've done a solid job so far. I mean we're finally doing what we've been demanding this team do for years, trade the UFA's for picks and prospects at the deadline.

Would it have been nice to get a 2015 2nd rounder? Absolutely. Obviously, that was not an option available to us or we would have taken it. Maybe if we had waited someone would have caved but there's no way to know that for sure, just like there's no way to know if Winnik would have gotten injured tomorrow.

Our asking price was a 2nd round pick, we got that and a 4th (and Sill, but whatever), and I believe that when a team meets your asking price, you take the deal. We have finally started managing our assets better, we should be pleased.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
From Pittsburgh.

I think we've done a solid job so far. I mean we're finally doing what we've been demanding this team do for years, trade the UFA's for picks and prospects at the deadline.

Would it have been nice to get a 2015 2nd rounder? Absolutely. Obviously, that was not an option available to us or we would have taken it. Maybe if we had waited someone would have caved but there's no way to know that for sure, just like there's no way to know if Winnik would have gotten injured tomorrow.

Our asking price was a 2nd round pick, we got that and a 4th (and Sill, but whatever), and I believe that when a team meets your asking price, you take the deal. We have finally started managing our assets better, we should be pleased.

Pitt doesn't have a first or third this year so I don't think getting their second was going to happen tbh

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
I say good. Both trades turned out very well & best of all, we are actually adding draft picks rather than losing them. If I was in Hunter's position I would be saying to Shanahan, "get me picks, get me picks & I will get you players." Even if it's late picks, he will want more & more. It's easy picking in the 1st few rounds, after that it gets a little harder & I am sure Hunter is wringing his fingers looking for that opportunity.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
If you would've told me at the beginning of the year that the Leafs would have:

2015 1st round pick
2016 2nd round pick
2015 4th round pick
Brendan Leipsic
Zach Sill

for Franson, Santorelli, Winnik I would've laughed my ass off. Very good so far from the Leafs

you might as well save your breath. i've been saying this all day and everyone is like. "buutt Carolina....!"

People were upset that we hadn't traded our assets sooner, and we should take what we were offered and make a deal. we did this. to me it doesn't matter what Carolina did (or whatever) because the value of Franson was dropping. and i would rather have the known (1st round + Lepsic), then the coulda/shoulda/woulda, of waiting, knowing that Cody was battling with his hip and not playing well when he was traded.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Roland McKeown and a first for Sekera was insane. Sekera has had a good year and a half in the NHL and all of a sudden he's going for a king's ransom. Literally.

But getting a 1st, 2nd and 4th and Leipsic for what amounts to Franson and 2 freebies is a good way to make up for all the times Burke could have "traded so and so for a first round pick" or Nonis let McArthur, Kulemin and Bolland walk is a good start.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Are people honestly forgetting how BAD Franson was last year? Like he was awful, and almost the entirety of this board was wanting him gone for nothing.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Roland McKeown and a first for Sekera was insane. Sekera has had a good year and a half in the NHL and all of a sudden he's going for a king's ransom. Literally.

1. Conditional 1st
2. From what I am hearing McKeown value has dropped since being dropped as his numbers dropped significantly since Bennett went down with a injury.

We got fair value for our players. You guys make it seem like Nonis called up NSH and was like "HEY I WILL GIVE YOU FRANSON AND SANTA FOR A CONDITIONAL 7TH?"

Could we have gotten more? Yes. Did we get ripped of? No. We got a fair value for what we traded. On top of that we got assets back for expiring deals on players we most likely were not going to resign.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Franson is a 2nd or 3rd pairing defenceman on a good team, and he has deficiencies. A 1st round pick in this year's draft is a great return for a rental player of his calibre.

Santorelli was a reclamation project off the scap heap in Vancouver. He rebounded nicely in Toronto, but he is still a career bottom six forward. A prospect with the upside of Leipsic is a great return for a rental player of his calibre.

Winnik was a 4th liner on Anaheim last season. He was given considerably more ice time on a lousy team this season, and managed to put up his best PPG totals as a result, but he is also a career bottom six forward. A 2nd round pick, 4th round pick, and a 4th line agitator is a great return for a rental player of his calibre.

The best part of all? We essentially acquired all of these assets in exchange for Brett Lebda, LOL. That is incredible asset management in my books, and it's about bloody time this organization did something right in that regard.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Franson is a 2nd or 3rd pairing defenceman on a good team, and he has deficiencies. A 1st round pick in this year's draft is a great return for a rental player of his calibre.

Santorelli was a reclamation project off the scap heap in Vancouver. He rebounded nicely in Toronto, but he is still a career bottom six forward. A prospect with the upside of Leipsic is a great return for a rental player of his calibre.

Winnik was a 4th liner on Anaheim last season. He was given considerably more ice time on a lousy team this season, and managed to put up his best PPG totals as a result, but he is also a career bottom six forward. A 2nd round pick, 4th round pick, and a 4th line agitator is a great return for a rental player of his calibre.

The best part of all? We essentially acquired all of these assets in exchange for Brett Lebda, LOL. That is incredible asset management in my books, and it's about bloody time this organization did something right in that regard

why do I keep reading the bolded part on here? we got Franson for eating Lombardi's Salary something had to go the other way, so we gave them something with no value. in no way did we get Franson for Lebda.

the thing about the Carolina trade a lot of people are forgetting is that LA is built to win in the playoffs, if they get in and make the semi's which is a high possibility imo, that first could be lower then Nashville's. however if they only get in, in a wild card spot that pick could be as high as 15th Overall.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
why do I keep reading the bolded part on here? we got Franson for eating Lombardi's Salary something had to go the other way, so we gave them something with no value. in no way did we get Franson for Lebda.

the thing about the Carolina trade a lot of people are forgetting is that LA is built to win in the playoffs, if they get in and make the semi's which is a high possibility imo, that first could be lower then Nashville's. however if they only get in, in a wild card spot that pick could be as high as 15th Overall.

Slaney + Lebda for Lombardi + Franson

In some way that's Franson for Lebda. We actual got more value out of Lombardi than Nashville got for both Slaney and Lebda as at least he played for the Leafs for a while.

So Lebda + Slaney + Santorelli = 2015 1st + Leipsic + Olli Jokinen + Lombardi

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
you might as well save your breath. i've been saying this all day and everyone is like. "buutt Carolina....!"

People were upset that we hadn't traded our assets sooner, and we should take what we were offered and make a deal. we did this. to me it doesn't matter what Carolina did (or whatever) because the value of Franson was dropping. and i would rather have the known (1st round + Lepsic), then the coulda/shoulda/woulda, of waiting, knowing that Cody was battling with his hip and not playing well when he was traded.

Carolina traded a better D man and got better Value.....there is nothing to see here.

So many armchair GM on here who really have no idea of what they are talking about. We traded a slow footed D man who struggles with the speed of the game, who wants a poop load of money next year and is banged up at times and got a very good return. Carolina traded a very good skating PMD and got a better return...why is any one surprised.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad