Speculation: Rate your level of concern

Rate your level of concern

• Total voters

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I know.... but I'm not concerned at all. This team made it to the conference finals. Smith wasn't really that great in the playoffs. Keith was great at times, but also a mixed bag to say the least. This version of the team has a lot of players with something to prove, and that takes time. We have time.

Reactions: Oilhawks

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Mettle, I’ve followed you and do respect your contributions to this site. However, this is an honest question, based on the bold, do you really think that members of the team read our banter on this site? I cant see it at all. And if they are, I recommend they get hold of Patrick Laines XBox provider and find something else to do, other than read this shit. It drives us crazy, I cant imagine what it would do to players. Cheers.

Zero chance anyone from the Oilers reads this site. Why on earth would they. Although some might say the GM should…lol

I'm not too surprised about the start given the strength of schedule so far. They'll turn it around. Campbell and the defence need to get their shit together though.

I'm much more surprised that @Cloned didn't start this poll.

I am muscling into @Cloned pole territory.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Mettle, I’ve followed you and do respect your contributions to this site. However, this is an honest question, based on the bold, do you really think that members of the team read our banter on this site? I cant see it at all. And if they are, I recommend they get hold of Patrick Laines XBox provider and find something else to do, other than read this shit. It drives us crazy, I cant imagine what it would do to players. Cheers.

I think that there are some players, especially newly drafted would visit this sight to read about the team, come to know the fan base. The site can be fun when things are going good, why not come see the fans celebrate a good game.
I mean, it's pretty accessible on mobile anywhere, and the generation z are probably more inclined compared to millennial players.
I remember Eberle talking that he reads the media and it's hard not too, when your probably sitting on a plane or chilling in a hotel.
I agree, as fans, it's usually a hot mess in here after losses, and I am sure lots of critique is probably just people trying to vent frustration but it can get pretty venomous.
I have no doubt they probably ignore us entirely. But the off chance they do glance by on an off night.
They're still human beings, and even harsh critique can be disheartening from people you thought were supporting you.
But that's just my hunch on it.

Edit: it probably makes more sense that family members and friends would come read this site.

Last edited:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
POLE OF THE DAY

View attachment 606512

Live look at the Oilers start.

——

Where are you at with the Oilers overall level of play after 15 games and 1 game over .500?

Early still? Getting ulcers? Total panic mode?

Curious to see where everyone is at.
Is it just me or does there seem to be an awful lot of people out there that aren’t really as athletic as they think they are?

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
We;re just trying to look cool. During games almost everybody is freaking out. ;)

The poll didn't capture all possibilities and I had to pick the closest one because I don't break remotes. I do occasionally utter f bombs and such.

This late into the McDrai timeline here where we are is a problem. Being without Kane means more of a problem. I feel this team makes playoffs but how do they do that? By exacting every drop of energy out of McDrai?

The GA is a massive problem and we're swimming up current every game. drowning is a possibility.
If we could get some average defensive play, we would be insane…. But that’s a big ask lol

McJesusSaves97

I see the light
May 17, 2015
Cowtown: Behind Enemy Lines
Our D concerns me the most. It has been terrible & it's bad enough imo that I'm not convinced that even bringing in a solid 2nd pair LHD will make a big enough difference to "fix" it. Kane out is a pretty big deal too.

Evilsports

Aug 18, 2015
I would be more concerned if we were only as good of a team as our record reflects. I don't believe we've hit our potential yet. I am concerned about a few aspects of our game, sure, but it is early in the regular season and we are in the process of figuring things out.

Goaltending can turn around in one game. Campbell is undoubtedly a better goalie than he has shown. Skinner has been very good.

The painful part for me is watching the team completely turn things around from one period to the next. That tells me that the wins are there to be had, we're just not taking them.

The Red Mile

Dec 18, 2013
Northern B.C.
Outsider looking in here. Edmonton is my second favourite team and I have watched a lot of their games over the last 10 years. I think this teams success starts and ends with their defence core. I don’t think this team could bring in any goalie at this point and expect him to pan out without a couple defence first, aggressive, hard to play against defence. Edmonton needs a leader on the back end that everyone looks up to and is afraid to play against. I like Nurse but I feel like he is an overpriced number 2 d man at this point. I would look into getting Colton Parayko a home town boy and Joel Edmundson to slot into your top 4. I think that would push this team into true contender status. Not sure what you give up to get them but this team has to win now with arguably two of the best players in the world on their roster. Hope it works out for you guys because my team sucks this year and I need someone to cheer for!

Reactions: Duke74 and Oilhawks

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I think that there are some players, especially newly drafted would visit this sight to read about the team, come to know the fan base. The site can be fun when things are going good, why not come see the fans celebrate a good game.
I mean, it's pretty accessible on mobile anywhere, and the generation z are probably more inclined compared to millennial players.
I remember Eberle talking that he reads the media and it's hard not too, when your probably sitting on a plane or chilling in a hotel.
I agree, as fans, it's usually a hot mess in here after losses, and I am sure lots of critique is probably just people trying to vent frustration but it can get pretty venomous.
I have no doubt they probably ignore us entirely. But the off chance they do glance by on an off night.
They're still human beings, and even harsh critique can be disheartening from people you thought were supporting you.
But that's just my hunch on it.

Edit: it probably makes more sense that family members and friends would come read this site.
When Eberle said he read the media, that is likely the sports section relating to hockey, or a bonafide hockey site, not some chat site with a bunch of us schmucks. Seriously doubt it.

Outsider looking in here. Edmonton is my second favourite team and I have watched a lot of their games over the last 10 years. I think this teams success starts and ends with their defence core. I don’t think this team could bring in any goalie at this point and expect him to pan out without a couple defence first, aggressive, hard to play against defence. Edmonton needs a leader on the back end that everyone looks up to and is afraid to play against. I like Nurse but I feel like he is an overpriced number 2 d man at this point. I would look into getting Colton Parayko a home town boy and Joel Edmundson to slot into your top 4. I think that would push this team into true contender status. Not sure what you give up to get them but this team has to win now with arguably two of the best players in the world on their roster. Hope it works out for you guys because my team sucks this year and I need someone to cheer for!
Excellent post, and I think most of us would agree. We can probably get by with just ok goaltending (look at Colorado last year), but our d needs a lot of love, and there has been precious little towards that area in the last many years.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Goaltending and defence.
Our goaltending is up and down, just like it was last year. And a good chunk of last year, Smith was injured while Koski shit the bed. We literally had no option last year with Smith out. Which ultimately played a large part in Tippett getting canned.

Our defence is exactly the same, other than the elderly Keith out and Neimo or Murray in. Hardly a big drop off.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Our goaltending is up and down, just like it was last year. And a good chunk of last year, Smith was injured while Koski shit the bed. We literally had no option last year with Smith out. Which ultimately played a large part in Tippett getting canned.

Our defence is exactly the same, other than the elderly Keith out and Neimo or Murray in. Hardly a big drop off.
Going from Keith who was still a legit second pairing d, although overpaid and having Murray and Neimo who struggle as bottom pairing guys replace him is a huge drop off though? That’s like saying if we replaced Nurse with a Keith is hardly a big drop off.

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
Very concerned. Mainly due to losing Kane, who adds so much missing from this team. And because we put all our eggs in the basket of a mental midget for a goaltender.

No clue what Holland was thinking in regards to Campbell. You have a team that he himself identified as getting in their own heads too much, a D core that can have absolute meltdowns and was going to be hosting 2 young players by his design. And you throw a huge contract at Toronto's scraps, who is known for being poor with high danger chances and not being able to handle the game mentally?

That one move might be what tanks the Mcdrai era for good if Stu or someone else can't come save the day. I might be the only person with less confidence in Campbell than Jack himself. I don't give a shit how nice he is, get you're head straight and play to your pay you bum.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Going from Keith who was still a legit second pairing d, although overpaid and having Murray and Neimo who struggle as bottom pairing guys replace him is a huge drop off though? That’s like saying if we replaced Nurse with a Keith is hardly a big drop off.
Keith was a shadow of himself, regardless of the salary. Neimo brings other things to the table like hitting and physicality. One had difficulty keeping up, and the other is still green and learning. So not much of a difference performance wise for me. You make it sound like there were massive changes with this team.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Keith was a shadow of himself, regardless of the salary. Neimo brings other things to the table like hitting and physicality. One had difficulty keeping up, and the other is still green and learning. So not much of a difference performance wise for me. You make it sound like there were massive changes with this team.
??? Except it’s a massive difference performance wise.
All of Keith’s metrics were mostly positive in a second pairing role playing 16:38 a game 5v5. Was he overpaid? Yes was he a positive player overall? Yes.
Niemelainen is averaging 9 minutes a game 5v5 and pretty much every stat is negative.
One was playing second pairing minutes and handling it fine, the other is playing much less and struggling. Same with Murray.

It doesn’t matter if one is green and still learning if the quality of play is massively lower. Replacing a guy who was still succeeding at being a second pairing defender with a 3rd pairing defender and a few 7 d, how in the world is that not a downgrade? The defensive stats and results prove that too.

A shadow of Keith is twice the defender of Murray and Niemelainen and still better than Kulak. All the numbers point to that and the eye test does too.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
All of Keith’s metrics were mostly positive in a second pairing role playing 16:38 a game 5v5. Was he overpaid? Yes was he a positive player overall? Yes.
Niemelainen is averaging 9 minutes a game 5v5 and pretty much every stat is negative.
One was playing second pairing minutes and handling it fine, the other is playing much less and struggling. Same with Murray.

It doesn’t matter if one is green and still learning if the quality of play is massively lower. Replacing a guy who was still succeeding at being a second pairing defender with a 3rd pairing defender and a few 7 d, how in the world is that not a downgrade? The defensive stats and results prove that too.

A shadow of Keith is twice the defender of Murray and Niemelainen and still better than Kulak. All the numbers point to that and the eye test does too.

I wasn't a fan of Keith as much personally, but the Oilers for sure lost a top-four d man in him when he retired, and never found somebody to take his spot. Holland banking on the likes of Broberg to solidify a spot on the defense was such a huge miss. Nemo is a big boy who can hit, but his inability to transition the puck cleanly out of the Oilers end has been so noticeable.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Goaltending is the same. Shit and inconsistent. Forwards the same. Top guys doing all the scoring. Defence is missing one guy.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Goaltending is the same. Shit and inconsistent. Forwards the same. Top guys doing all the scoring. Defence is missing one guy.
Goaltending is worse overall. Campbell is worse than Smith or Koskinen ever were. Forwards are the same but performing worse and yes defence is missing only one guy but on defence when you are missing a guy that can negatively effect multiple pairings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad