Speculation: Rate your level of concern

Rate your level of concern

• Total voters

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Very concerned how many Chicken Littles are in the fan base. It's a long season. By the tone around here one would think we are deep into that losing streak of last year.

This is a good team, just need to figure some things out. Make a few tweaks. New players need to get settled.

stewy04

Jun 19, 2016
I voted "start of a problem" because it was closest to how I feel. I believe it's a personal problem, we have the wrong mixture of players. Defense wins championships... I don't even blame our goalies, our defense isn't set up to defend.

Our start is indicative of a problem.
Our players look like pillons trying to intercept the pass instead of taking the man. We don't block shots we are soft defensively.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Our defence was mediocre last year. What did our GM do to upgrade/fix that?

- hope Darnell Nurse can live up to an enormous 9.25 million/year contract

- wish that Codi Ceci could magically turn into a top pairing dman

- wish upon a star that Bret Kulak could could somehow be a top 4 dman

- hope that Tyson Barrie could outscore his defensive issues (to be fair, he's been the best of the bunch, but that isn't saying much)

- think that Ryan Murray could be a competent bottom pairing dman

- hope that Evan Bouchard could suddenly mature and also lose his pattern of sleepy, uninspired play

- pray that one of Philip Borberg, or Neimo could replace the aging Duncan Keith, and mature fast enough to handle all the bottom pairing minutes competently and take some pressure off the upper guys

Sounds like a great plan that's just working out dandy.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Regarding the forwards (and some of our dmen to a degree), there is a whole lot of cheating going on out there. Guys leaving the zone before it's safe to do so (Looking at you Zach Hyman, McDavid, Drai, Yams).
Guys trying to be cute in their own zone to make a breakaway pass, instead of a simple clear (I think this type of thing is killing us when we have our PK issues)
Forwards doing flybys instead of everyone hauling the rope and pitching in with some physical play. (McDavid was guilty of this last night on one of the goals by bailing out and shifting away from a potential 50/50 hit/battle in his own end, which resulted in an easy Carolina goal. Don't think the other players don't see that and take a cue from their captain.
Guys standing around and doing nothing in the offensive zone, expecting McDavid to do all the heavy lifting. McDavid starts to get frustrated when no one else chips in, or makes dumb plays, so eventually, he just says f*** it, and takes it to the net himself. And when he scores, 2 other guys get points just for touching the puck before he went away with it. Well done boys!

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Most concerned about coaching. Defensive systems can be adjusted, and players to buy in if it’s successful.

But Woodcroft wants to die on the deny entry and push exits to spring the rush sword and he’s so far refusing to adapt to a team defensive system to deny the danger area, which he did in the Kings series going forward last postseason.

With an offensive weapons like McDavid and Draisaitl goals should not be a problem, we need to temper the run and gun as it falls into the plans of the opposition too much.

Also player deployment and lines/pairings have been changing almost at a desperation level, we need to stick to what works over killing our chances to get some players going both on offense and defense.

Woodcroft shows promise, but they key to a successful coach is letting go of what doesn’t work and adapting. Not seeing any of that this year.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Also we have had a crazy tough schedule but still only small glimpses of the team that was amazing to watch last year.
Bad excuse, sorry. Everybody has a tough schedule at some point. They all play the same number of games. And up until Kane's injury, we've been incredibly lucky with avoiding injuries as a team.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Our defence was mediocre last year. What did our GM do to upgrade/fix that?

- hope Darnell Nurse can live up to an enormous 9.25 million/year contract

- wish that Codi Ceci could magically turn into a top pairing dman

- wish upon a star that Bret Kulak could could somehow be a top 4 dman

- hope that Tyson Barrie could outscore his defensive issues (to be fair, he's been the best of the bunch, but that isn't saying much)

- think that Ryan Murray could be a competent bottom pairing dman

- hope that Evan Bouchard could suddenly mature and also lose his pattern of sleepy, uninspired play

- pray that one of Philip Borberg, or Neimo could replace the aging Duncan Keith, and mature fast enough to handle all the bottom pairing minutes competently and take some pressure off the upper guys

Sounds like a great plan that's just working out dandy.

The important thing is we kept our 1st round pick for a player that might be useful 5 years from now tho.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Most concerned about coaching. Defensive systems can be adjusted, and players to buy in if it’s successful.

But Woodcroft wants to die on the deny entry and push exits to spring the rush sword and he’s so far refusing to adapt to a team defensive system to deny the danger area, which he did in the Kings series going forward last postseason.

With an offensive weapons like McDavid and Draisaitl goals should not be a problem, we need to temper the run and gun as it falls into the plans of the opposition too much.

Also player deployment and lines/pairings have been changing almost at a desperation level, we need to stick to what works over killing our chances to get some players going both on offense and defense.

Woodcroft shows promise, but they key to a successful coach is letting go of what doesn’t work and adapting. Not seeing any of that this year.
Agreed. We could probably get away with a run and gun like the old Oilers, and it would be the other team that had the fear struck in them. But I don't see any Charlie Huddy's or Lee Fogolin's out there, or a Paul Coffey to skate the puck out of danger and instantly create offensive chances.
Aside from the obvious issues with personnel, they system, whatever it is they are using, is a complete failure,and Woodcroft is going to need to adapt, or he is going to find some heat under his chair.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I’d be less worried if Kane wasn’t out for 4 months.

This could really spiral out of control.
Just a day ago you were saying this was an opportunity to show how much the team is improved through coaching and that removing Kane from the picture can illustrate that. My own take is goaltending is improved, with Kostin and Janmark we've added some bottom winger depth, and we have Holloway developing on team. We have a somewhat better team than a year ago even if we're missing Kane. Who we get back at some point.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Don't like the make up of our D, nobody able to stop a cycle or make life difficult in front of the net. Don't think we make the playoffs without one.
However, Hollands GM pattern is typically...Trade Deadline: trades...sleep...UFA signings...sleep...Trade deadline...
That has me concerned that a move won't be done in time.

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
On the defensive end I think the team is dearly missing the passing ability of both Keith and Smith. The forward group has too many passengers, and I wonder if they came into the season believing their own hype. I hated the Campbell signing and am not surprised at all by what he’s brought. All in all I’m pretty concerned, but missing the playoffs wouldn’t be the end of the world as it would result in a new GM.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Anyone who says they aren’t concerned in my opinion is lying. This start is concerning. The defense at times looks worse than last year, and the goaltending from Campbell for the most part has been horrific. Until one of these two (or preferably both) are fixed, the Oilers will be lucky to even make a wild card team.
We;re just trying to look cool. During games almost everybody is freaking out. ;)

The poll didn't capture all possibilities and I had to pick the closest one because I don't break remotes. I do occasionally utter f bombs and such.

This late into the McDrai timeline here where we are is a problem. Being without Kane means more of a problem. I feel this team makes playoffs but how do they do that? By exacting every drop of energy out of McDrai?

The GA is a massive problem and we're swimming up current every game. drowning is a possibility.

• Haha
Reactions: tardigrade81

Reasonable Oil Fan

Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
Also we have had a crazy tough schedule but still only small glimpses of the team that was amazing to watch last year.
Not sure about this, Not that I put much stock in it
but apparently our strength of schedule to this point has been slightly above the middle of the pack.
Not exactly "crazy tough"

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Our biggest problem is and always has been general managing. Can't get good goaltending/good defense/good bottom 6 if the guys on top can't identify whose good relative to dollars.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Engine warning light is on.

;)

Who am I kidding. On my Hyundai "wah" experience it always is. Just a matter of sussing out which codes it is at any given time.

"Please be aware of recall that improper gaskets leak engine Oil and whatever other coolant directly over your alternator which could go at anytime leaving your battery without a charge and that could stop you on the freeway at any moment without power to avoid calamity. Be aware that some vehicles have combusted due to faulty wiring at drip points." This is recall 116 of the year.

Please have a good day and remember to chose Hyundai Wah the next time.

ps all our customer service in country is busy. Please call back for service opportunity in new year. In the mean time please do not park your vehicle in your garage or on driveway near buildings until further notice due to spontaneous combustion concerns from faulty wiring. Please do not take vehicle to other service which will void warranty.

ot but just meant for a wah laugh. We have to tolerate these commercials during games.

Last edited:

NedPlimpton

Mar 23, 2013
Near Fantastica
The recent bit of shit we've seen hasn't been fun, and when there's a bit of a pattern forming it is mildly concerning and losing Kane for a good while sure doesn't help, but I wouldn't say I'm "worried".

We've also seen this team play great and even if it isn't 100% the team it should be, know they are capable of farm more than what we've seen recently.

So I don't know.

I don't know anymore. That's my vote.

Reactions: TB12 and Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The recent bit of shit we've seen hasn't been fun, and when there's a bit of a pattern forming it is mildly concerning and losing Kane for a good while sure doesn't help, but I wouldn't say I'm "worried".

We've also seen this team play great and even if it isn't 100% the team it should be, know they are capable of farm more than what we've seen recently.

So I don't know.

I don't know anymore. That's my vote.
There looks like a fair amount of players on this team that could be more capable on a farm.

;)

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
We;re just trying to look cool. During games almost everybody is freaking out. ;)

The poll didn't capture all possibilities and I had to pick the closest one because I don't break remotes. I do occasionally utter f bombs and such.

This late into the McDrai timeline here where we are is a problem. Being without Kane means more of a problem. I feel this team makes playoffs but how do they do that? By exacting every drop of energy out of McDrai?

The GA is a massive problem and we're swimming up current every game. drowning is a possibility.

Same thing!

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
mildly concerned

-they look exactly like they did pre-Woodcroft...out-shot, out-chanced and lost defensively, the difference being Tipp brought good special teams and a decent record...maybe coaching wasn't the problem after all!
- poor goaltending...I actually miss the Smith/Koskinen duo
- injuries are piling up now
- no one is emerging under Woodcroft...in fact most are regressing

saving grace is they've had a really tough schedule so hopefully things get easier

Reactions: Mav3rick07

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
POLE OF THE DAY

View attachment 606512

Live look at the Oilers start.

——

Where are you at with the Oilers overall level of play after 15 games and 1 game over .500?

Early still? Getting ulcers? Total panic mode?

Curious to see where everyone is at.
I noticed on your poling options, you don't have "Seeking out a high bridge." That could be an option for some.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Half Full: this yo yo team is 3 points out of second place. Skinner has been stable as an unknown entering this year and best goaltender on the ice for most of his games. McProduction - the two super elites are dominating scoring and keep this team able to beat anyone and Nugent Hopkins has delivered quality support production. We've seen one stretch of winning hockey that included beating good teams.

Half Empty: Kane long-term injury removes a unique skillset & mindset lacking on a finesse team. The $5 million nice guy goaltender has been shambles in front of a soft, finesse and erratic sub-standard defense corp. Coaching deployment of blender has inflamed poor play instead of igniting it and recurring issues are back: slow starts, chasing games, sub-standard and confused d-zone play that is exploited. PK has also fallen into the Mariana Trench. Quality of right wing is inadequate with play of Yamamoto and Puljujarvi. Dying and rarely living with onboarding kids on what is supposed to be a deep playoff contention team. Cap situation limits roster that can be put on ice. Danger of overplaying the super elites and some frustration being seen of repeating chronic mistakes/issues (candid Draisaitl presser). Squandered a largely home weighted schedule with rest to start the year.

Assessment: Head above water. However there are significant issues that can manifest into major problems if this team fails to find any consistency over the next ten to twenty games.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
As fans, collectively, do we overly micromanage the team with critique to the point of suffocating the players from just playing their game?
Always ready to move on and trade a player because certain elements of their game is lacking? With the grass greener on the other side mentality with players we don't have.
Complaining for lack of effort but we are not the ones on the ice going through it?
Laying the body and exerting real physical effort.
I am concerned from some posters making comments on not watching and listening to the games.
There are things happening on the ice that make me concerned and right now is how penalties are being called on the team and game mangement. Something feels off and I can't place it.
We lost Yamamoto and Kane. Both have their roles, and both eat up minutes that either pushes the needle or keeps their head above water.
I think the boys are missing some locker room presence In Russell, Kassian, Smith and Keith.
The people that wanted Keith to retire so we have cap space, are they the same people asking to trade pieces for a defencemen?
He wasn't at a norris level but you can obviously see he brought a stability that many here took for granted.
Campbell has been hot and cold, but I still believe in him. I think the adjustment period is still ongoing and I would be patient as he gets his bearings.
It seemed the Foundations that Tippet bestowed and having Woodcroft come in and tweak seemed to work well last year. Did we lose some of that or do not have certain specialized players in roles to execute properly?
Highs have been high and lows have been low. It's definitely a Rollercoaster so far. They definitely need figure out the synchronization and balance this ride.
Lots of new faces, and some still breaking into their roles.
Nobody wants to hear it but it's growing pains for this team right now as they try and sync and build chemistry with each other.
I think my only real concern is the patience of the fan base. Flying off the handle is probably not the most effective way to support the team when the team is struggling.
Oilers will play the way they are going to play, and either figure it out or sink, regardless of what you or I or anyone else on a chat site writes or says, so I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm not sure who all the new faces are, other than Holloway, Campbell and maybe Neimo or Skin (who both played a few games last year and have been in the organization for some time). The majority of last years team is back.

And I certainly wouldn't start using injuries as an excuse. Up to last game, we've been one of the luckier and healthier teams in that regards. And both of those two guys mentioned, are not defencemen, where we are really having some issues.

I do agree that I still have some hope for Campbell that he can figure things out. I think we'll have a better read for that in another 20 games or so. If he can't, and Skinner doesn't pull through, then we're in some real trouble. It's not like we have a stellar defence or play a stellar defensive game to mask them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad