Rate these Prospects (Tyutin, Grebeshkov, Michalek, Semin, Brown, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Hockeycrazed07 said:
For you to even mention Bure and Orr in the same breath as Michalek is a bit of praise for the young Shark. He's got a while before he can even be mentioned in the same paragraph as either.

~Crazed.

Well, if you notice the context it was said, you'll see that I said "Greater players than Michalek", which doesn't even mean that i'm really saying he's on par with those players. I was simply making a point that there isn't anybody so great that knee injuries won't slow them down. It took Bure and Orr to just above average players, it would probably take Michalek even farther down.

AvengerK

Mar 9, 2004
Cal Poly, the good 1
X-SHARKIE said:
Why would Semin and Hudler be over Michalek?

FORWARDS:

1. Milan Michalek

They're not Sharks fans, and don't have the luxury of having the utmost confidence that Michalek will bounce back from the knee injury.

H3ro

Apr 24, 2003
Visit site
FORWARDS:

1. Milan Michalek
2. A. Semin
3. C. Higgins
4. D. Brown
5. J. Hudler
6. M. Svatos
7. P. Vorobiev

DEFENSE:

1. Tyutin
2. Grebeshkov
3. Babchuck

ukyo

Mar 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
Visit site
NYRGoalieGlut said:
R Grebeshkov and Babchuk at least top prospects? It seems that at least half of u, probably more, put him over Tyutin. Is it because of how good the other two guys r, or because u guys think Tyutin isn't that good, or is this Anti-Rangers bias (a lot of people hate the Rangers it's a fact, not sure if it has anything to do w/ it though)?

Grebeshkov and Tjutin are definitely special. Babchuk is... well, remains to be seen. Perhaps people are judging on potential vs. an "expectation" of how good the player will become. Potential-wise, I'd go:

1. Babchuk
2. Tjutin
3. Grebeshkov

Babchuk is a beast, plays physical, and he has a cannon of a shot. Grebeshkov is the least physical of the three and he never will be much more physical than a Lidstrom or Zubov no matter how much gunpowder and smack the Kings feed him. Tjutin is what you look for in a total package, but has less offensive upside than the other two, but that's just his style. I've heard knocks on Babchuk's skating ability, but I can't remember a time when it really bothered me.

However, in order of how I think their respective careers will go:

1a. Grebeshkov
1b. Tjutin
3. Babchuk

Grebeshkov and Tjutin are both extremely good and quick decision makers and they play smart. Grebeshkov is like a robot in terms of playing making the proper play, and Tjutin is not bad either. They are both noticeably superior to Babchuk in those respects and in my mind that is one of the most important things for a defenseman. Tjutin is likely the more can't miss of the three, so I'd probably take him first. The thing about Grebeshkov is that he has unreal "escape" abilities; his threshold for pressure from an incoming forecheck borders on cardiac.

Re: the forwards, here's my list based on what I've seen so far (training camps included):

1. Semin
2. Michalek
3. Brown
4. Svatos

Maybe I shouldn't be taking Semin over Michalek, but I'm sorry, the ability to humiliate other players is too high on my list ;). I have not seen Hudler, Higgins, or Vorobiev play a whole lot.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
NYRGoalieGlut said:
R Grebeshkov and Babchuk at least top prospects? It seems that at least half of u, probably more, put him over Tyutin. Is it because of how good the other two guys r, or because u guys think Tyutin isn't that good, or is this Anti-Rangers bias (a lot of people hate the Rangers it's a fact, not sure if it has anything to do w/ it though)?

If you must know, I don't think this is some conspiracy to crap on the Rangers. you can relax, no man in black is out to get you either.

Here are reasons people may rate Tyutin lower here. Each poster has its own reasons but they fall under those categories:

1-Tyutin has been drafted in the second round. People pay less attention to prospects drafted later

2-Tyutin is a 2001. babchuk and Grebeshkov are 2002. Everything at HF is always better when it is brand new and shiny. Tyutin is "too old" by some standards around here and I am surprsised the word "bust" has not come up when speaking of him.

3-Some people simply prefer one or two of the others.

As you can see, plenty of reasons that have nothing to do with him beinga Ranger. Personally, I am more comfortable taking a bet on Babchuk. i love his upside and I think teams that passed on him all the way down the first round are going to regret. I love Tyutin's safe game but Babchuk is just oozing with potential to dominate. He is riskier but could have greater impact.

All three defensemen are solid and you will notice many people have said it is close and all three Ds are good. No Rangers hate at work here!

Now, have a kleenex an move on!

NYRGoalieGlut*

Vlad The Impaler said:
If you must know, I don't think this is some conspiracy to crap on the Rangers. you can relax, no man in black is out to get you either.

Here are reasons people may rate Tyutin lower here. Each poster has its own reasons but they fall under those categories:

1-Tyutin has been drafted in the second round. People pay less attention to prospects drafted later

2-Tyutin is a 2001. babchuk and Grebeshkov are 2002. Everything at HF is always better when it is brand new and shiny. Tyutin is "too old" by some standards around here and I am surprsised the word "bust" has not come up when speaking of him.

3-Some people simply prefer one or two of the others.

As you can see, plenty of reasons that have nothing to do with him beinga Ranger. Personally, I am more comfortable taking a bet on Babchuk. i love his upside and I think teams that passed on him all the way down the first round are going to regret. I love Tyutin's safe game but Babchuk is just oozing with potential to dominate. He is riskier but could have greater impact.

All three defensemen are solid and you will notice many people have said it is close and all three Ds are good. No Rangers hate at work here!

Now, have a kleenex an move on!

Um, first of all as I said b4 let me say this, I'm not bringing in the Rangers hate because I think there's no possible way that Tyutin is last in fact he might be, I just don't want it to be even a bit of a reason for it. I'm not saying it is, but seriously as it shows by that post where someone said that it reduces his value 50%, even w/ it probably being a joke (and as we all know every joke is partially true, so he probably believes that at least partially). This isn't baseless either, I see this on other boards (ie Knicks board). Hey I don't like making this sound like some conspiracy theory c/rap, but I think that it's only human to be biased at times (not for all people, but I'm sure a lot of Rangers fans might be a bit biased if it was an Isles prospect, maybe even I would be) if u can tell me that there's absolutely no way that anyone had any bias, then I'm crying, but if not, I'm still crying, but it's not baseless. :)

ukyo

Mar 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
Visit site
Here, how about this

NYRGoalieGlut said:
Um, first of all as I said b4 let me say this, I'm not bringing in the Rangers hate because I think there's no possible way that Tyutin is last in fact he might be, I just don't want it to be even a bit of a reason for it. I'm not saying it is, but seriously as it shows by that post where someone said that it reduces his value 50%, even w/ it probably being a joke (and as we all know every joke is partially true, so he probably believes that at least partially). This isn't baseless either, I see this on other boards (ie Knicks board). Hey I don't like making this sound like some conspiracy theory c/rap, but I think that it's only human to be biased at times (not for all people, but I'm sure a lot of Rangers fans might be a bit biased if it was an Isles prospect, maybe even I would be) if u can tell me that there's absolutely no way that anyone had any bias, then I'm crying, but if not, I'm still crying, but it's not baseless. :)

http://www.russianprospects.com/public/profile_main.php

According to russianprospects.com, they are rated as follows:
Tyutin 91
Babchuk 90
Grebeshkov 88

It's just one source, but I'd say you couldn't really argue against putting the three in any arbitrary order since they are so close.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
ukyo said:
http://www.russianprospects.com/public/profile_main.php

According to russianprospects.com, they are rated as follows:
Tyutin 91
Babchuk 90
Grebeshkov 88

It's just one source, but I'd say you couldn't really argue against putting the three in any arbitrary order since they are so close.

I just took a look at their whole ratings for Russian draftees.

Horrible is about the only word that comes to mind.

ukyo

Mar 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:

Well, sure. While I don't think they're HORRIBLE, I don't exactly agree with them either. I'd be inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt; I can only assume that they're seen more than the 15 or so combined games that I've seen the three defensemen play. Point is, I do think that the three are that close.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Vlad The Impaler said:

To suggest they're being generous is an understatement. Here's their scale:

100= Rare Talent(Gretzky, Lemieux)
90= Potential Superstar
80= 1st line Forward/Top Defenseman/Top Goalie
70= 2nd line Forward/Top 3 Defenseman
60= 3rd line Forward/Top 5 Defenseman/Backup Goalie
50= 4th line Foward/6th/7th Defenseman
40= High-end Minor league Talent(Might get a shot...)
30= Minor League Role Player
20= Low-end Minor League Talent
10= Unlikely to make it out of junior/college

The sheer number of players in the 90 and 80 range is mindnumbing. I mean Alexei Mikhnov a 92?!?!?!? :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad