Rate the moves of the Draft Weekend

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
The downside is more of a Darren Helm than Mason Raymond.

Good call, Helm is a better style comparison than Raymond. And probably fairly close to a McCann floor. Great wheels, good overall
play but not much offense. As far as an upside goes - and I'll probably get crucified for this - his absolute ceiling is as a Toews-lite. Probably won't ever reach that level but that is how I see his playstyle if he develops well.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Good call, Helm is a better style comparison than Raymond. And probably fairly close to a McCann floor. Great wheels, good overall
play but not much offense. As far as an upside goes - and I'll probably get crucified for this - his absolute ceiling is as a Toews-lite. Probably won't ever reach that level but that is how I see his playstyle if he develops well.

Early in the year, the comparison I saw the most for McCann was Zach Parise. After finishing rather poorly, Andrew Cogliano might be closer.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Early in the year, the comparison I saw the most for McCann was Zach Parise. After finishing rather poorly, Andrew Cogliano might be closer.

I think the Vermette comparison is quite close. I don't see Parise or Cogliano. (Down to Vermette not being a consistent goal scorer despite generating lots of chances. Likewise, McCann can't seem to really rack up goals despite his amazing shot.)

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
I think the Vermette comparison is quite close. I don't see Parise or Cogliano. (Down to Vermette not being a consistent goal scorer despite generating lots of chances. Likewise, McCann can't seem to really rack up goals despite his amazing shot.)

Parise, like McCann is a great skater, has a big shot, competes hard and plays in all 3 zones. Not the biggest guy either.

I can definitely see the comparison. Though would never expect that type of career out of Mcann...

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
I think if Benning can flip Bonino for a top 20 2015 1st round pick I'll upgrade this years draft weekend to a B. until then he's a C student.

Rick Rocket

Regetstred User
May 22, 2008
We had a lot of options this draft. Liked how Bim went after the first overall.
Virtanen may surprise us. Obviously wanted one of Ehlers, Nylander first.
Mccann selection was silly... should have gone after Barbashev, Pastrnak, Ho-sang.
Demko was a great pick.
The rest not pleased about other than the obvious Gradin pick.
Good on Bim for moving Kesler for a decent return while he had us handcuffed.
Good on Bim for moving Garrison for a reasonable return.
The Vey trade, dont know too much about the kid but his numbers look decent.
Overpaid for Dorsett.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Parise, like McCann is a great skater, has a big shot, competes hard and plays in all 3 zones. Not the biggest guy either.

Parise has elite skill. McCann doesn't. Parise plays with grit and competes hard. McCann doesn't play with grit and competes... somewhat. They're not very similar in how they look. Center/winger is a big difference.

You've reduced it to a bunch of keywords but it doesn't sound like you've seen him play.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Parise has elite skill. McCann doesn't. Parise plays with grit and competes hard. McCann doesn't play with grit and competes... somewhat. They're not very similar in how they look. Center/winger is a big difference.

You've reduced it to a bunch of keywords but it doesn't sound like you've seen him play.

In the McCann thread, Zach Parise was the name I saw the most as far as player comparisons. You just disagree with others that have seen him a ton...

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
In the McCann thread, Zach Parise was the name I saw the most as far as player comparisons. You just disagree with others that have seen him a ton...

Vermette was mentioned more times than Parise (and more recently too). Just checked.

Just a better comparison other than the shot. It's not a particularly important thing but to me, Parise is just a very unique player with a unique play style and skill set. It's hard to compare anyone to him because that type of skill with that type of drive and mentality comes along once in a long, long time. It's also why he scored so much in college.

Last edited:

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010

I don't think I've read or seen any Parise comparisons before.

Parise plays balls out forechecking, grinding hockey with elite hands while being slightly undersized.

McCann has exhibited none of the above.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Vermette was mentioned more times than Parise (and more recently too). Just checked.

Just a better comparison other than the shot. It's not a particularly important thing but to me, Parise is just a very unique player with a unique play style and skill set. It's hard to compare anyone to him because that type of skill with that type of drive and mentality comes along once in a long, long time. It's also why he scored so much in college.

Yup, Parise was the comparison before Christmas - when most of the people in that thread were touting McCann as a top 7-10 pick. Then Vermette later in the year, when McCann struggled offensively.

There are a lot of similarities between Vermette, McCann and Parise. In terms of where McCann ends up, Vermette is the much safer projection.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
I don't think I've read or seen any Parise comparisons before.

Go read the McCann thread on the prospects forum. Countless fans were raving about McCann - some thinking he was going to be one of the best players to come out of this draft and was a sure-fire top 10 pick. That was mostly last summer and leading up to around Christmas time.

McCann fell off in 2014. People's opinions really changed from that point.

arsmaster*

If it's the Vermette that plays against the Canucks he might be a goal a game NHLer.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Yup, Parise was the comparison before Christmas - when most of the people in that thread were touting McCann as a top 7-10 pick. Then Vermette later in the year, when McCann struggled offensively.

There are a lot of similarities between Vermette, McCann and Parise. In terms of where McCann ends up, Vermette is the much safer projection.
Something between Vermette and Parise doesn't sound bad at all for a 24th overall pick. I'm happy with it.

Barbashev would have been better though, of course.

Yossarian54

Oct 12, 2011
Perth, WA
C for me.

Kesler trade needed to happen, but I would have much preferred just futures. If they don't re-sign Santorelli after essentially trading for his twin in Bonino I give this trade an F.

Garrison... I actually like this. Could have used a better return, but Garrison for Vey is okay by me given I think we needed to move an established defenceman and try and get some prospects through the system.

Dorsett, u wot m8. Probably the move of the weekend that makes me worry the most about management. Reeks of 'old boys hockey' ala Burke/Nonis, but you'd probably struggle to find a GM who hasn't made a move like this.

Draft was reasonable. Virtanen, McCann and Demko I am happy to have, but would have been happier with other picks (Richie/Ehlers, Barbashev, McKeown/Pollock respectively). But, I think our cupboard is starting to look pretty decent. Absolutely love the Tryamkin and the Forsling picks. Absolutely hate the last two picks. Could have been better, could have been worse.

The thing that concerned me most about the say was the "Meat and Potatoes" style of play quote. Did Linden not say a few weeks ago that he wanted this team to go back to an exciting style of play? The implication being an up-tempo, carrying the puck more style? And yet, after hiring a coach who suits that style (hopefully), the GM seems to want to move back to a more Tortorella meat and potatoes style? Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
The thing that concerned me most about the say was the "Meat and Potatoes" style of play quote. Did Linden not say a few weeks ago that he wanted this team to go back to an exciting style of play? The implication being an up-tempo, carrying the puck more style? And yet, after hiring a coach who suits that style (hopefully), the GM seems to want to move back to a more Tortorella meat and potatoes style? Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Didn't like the quote myself and don't think Benning did himself any favours by using it but words are just words and I prefer to evaluate anyone by their actions.

Meat & Potatoes implies all hard work, size, and grit with very little skill.

How do his moves speak to this?

Virtanen - Certainly gritty but blessed with tremendous skills too. Half M&P, half skill.

MCCann - Honestly not that gritty of a player. Plays more of a speed game with good effort and puck skills. Not really a M&P player.

Demko - Goalie so can't really judge.

Tryamkin - Maybe a borscht & potatoes player? Certainly fits the MO but finding it in a Russian shows a willingness to look outside of the "good ol Canadian kid" schema. 3/4 M&P pick.

Forsling - Not even a Swedish meatball. 5'11 defender, all skill and skating. 0% M&P.

Pettit & Stewart - don't know enough about either to say but even if they are both 100% M&P they are the smallest part of the draft.

Overall I'd say bigger focus on players with balanced skills (Virtanen, McCann) than true grinders and muckers.

Trades are a mixed bag with Bonino and Vey providing good levels of skill (esp Vey) while Dorsett is a true M&P player. Sbisa is kind of in no man's land where he doesn't really fit in either category right now.

Overall I can't say Benning's actions (yet) have matched his suddenly infamous catchphrase terribly well.

HockeyHobo73

Oct 3, 2013
McCann + Boner + Sbisa for Kesler = C+
50th overall for Garrison = B-
Virtanen = A (would prefer Nylander, but Virtanen is as solid a prospect as they come)
McCann = A+
Demko = A+
Vey for Roland McKeowen = D (if we drafted him, we wouldv'e had 4 first rounders according to Mackenzie. I like Vey, but an over payment imo)
Intl D-men = B
Last picks = D

Overall = B

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I`m happy with things overall.

Got rid of one player that didn`t want to be here, and another that no longer fit the roster.

Added some skill with Bobino and Vey, and with Dorsett we`re closer to being a four line team again.

Draft picks can go any direction, so we`ll see in a couple of years. Early picks I like, late picks who knows.

Also got rid of a couple of NTC and now have tons of flexibility. Still a big question on who`s going to pick up Kesler`s defensive minutes, but I like the changes so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad