Rate the moves of the Draft Weekend

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
The sum of changes in the last two days, what we started with and what we ended up with.

Out:
Ryan Kesler
Jason Garrison
2015 3rd rd
2015 7th rd
Jeff Costello

In:
Nick Bonino
Luca Sbisa
Derek Dorsett
Linden Vey
Jake Virtanen (6th OA)
Jared McCann (24th OA)
Thatcher Demko (36th OA)
Nikita Tryamkin (66th OA)
Gustav Frosling (126th OA)
Kyle Pettit (156th OA)
Mackenze Stewart ‎(186th OA)

SweedishKeepers

Apr 15, 2013
B or C plus for me. Think the Kesler trade needed to happen. Garrison trade is a meh for me. Like the majority of the draft picks minus the last two

VeteranNetPresence

Disco Super Fly.
Dec 8, 2011
Vancouver
I am not sure how most of can vote on the picks considering pretty much everyone except a few posters watch these guys

as for the trades, can't say I am a fan of the returns

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
C. Very safe (except for the big Russian). Boring picks with little offensive upside. Can't believe Linden Vey is going to have to be an important piece...

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Don't like the Kesler trade, I guess expectation was different. Was hoping for a move that would define the future of the franchise, instead we got a move that looks like a short term bandaid.

Hate the Garrison trade, I'll reserve judgement though because it depends on what Benning plans to do with the cap space. Didn't really agree with this + the Booth waiving but if they plan to use the money freed up to acquire someone like Stastny, then I'll feel much better about it.

Disappointed about the Virtanen pick, not that I don't like him, just preferred Nylander/Ehlers way more.

Hate the philosophy with the 6th and 7th pick, if you are going to waste it like that, might as well trade it away for some 4th liners.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
C

Kesler ****ed us, got an okay return considering the circumstance.
Garrison trade was simply Pejorative Slured
Like the Dorsett pickup.
Like the Vey pickup
Like Virtanen
Okay with McCann, wanted Barbashev though.
Like the Demko pick

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Honestly we won't know for a while.
Immediate reaction is often wrong. People raved when we drafted Schroeder. Were happy when we signed Booth. Thought locking up Luongo long term was a great move.
Let's see what we have first.
The one thing I'll give Benning credit for is that he made the decision on Kesler without letting it fester.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
B-The team has a much needed retooling. Has a deeper prospect pool. And will either use cap space to turn around or have a top ten pick in a strong draft. But there were no real 'wins'

palefire

Jun 3, 2005
Disaster, because we learned that our new management are retrograde. Our competitors are smarter than we are right now, and it's going to be hard to gain ground on them unless we're terrible enough to land very top picks.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
C+. Thought the first round picks and Garrison trade were great. Thought the Kesler trade was alright.

I like Demko as a prospect, but generally hate picking goaltenders in the first few rounds.

I really don't like tossing around draft picks, though I am fine with the players we acquired in those deals.

I am interested what's to come, hopefully the makeover continues.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
B

Liked all the trades (feel bad for Garrison tho)
Loved the first round selections.
And the rest TBD.

Overall I love the potential gained so far.

Now can we rate the performance of the posters here?
The pseudo-experts.
An F to anyone that carries their discussion about prospects like they are talking about absolutes when it's anything but.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
I give it a B simply for the fact that we needed a significant change and they've done just that. Is this team worse? Yes. Right now it is.

This is long term thinking, though. Finally.

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
B-

We didn't get a huge win in any of the trades, but you know what, I liked them. Our hands were tied with Kesler, I've never been a huge Garrison fan, and he was a 4.5 million defender playing on our last pairing because he was a lefty. I thought we overpaid for Dorsett, but I really liked the Vey deal.

Then the draft was excellent until round 6 and 7, where we made some questionable decisions. But the scouts know much better than I do, because I am just stat watching those last two guys.

Overall, Benning has impressed me with his ability to pull the trigger and not be afraid. A shakeup was needed, and that's what happened

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
Am I the only one that slept on it before going insane and came away today thinking they did a really, really good job. I love Bonino. Had him in my pool last year so I watched a lot of ducks games. He'll be a definite fan favourite. Great character guy with slick hands in tight. Treading up. Good finisher. Big game player. Vey adds to our depth. I was skeptical with Virtanen but once we got McCann I was very happy with how it unfolded. It's hard getting centers with McCanns tools and potential at 24. He's usually the type that goes 10-15. Sbisa has more to give, wait until he's 27 and see where he is. Kesler was wearing down and fast. You have to be delusional to not see Kesler lost a step. Love Demko. We pretty much got three first rounders.

We opened up cap space. We're not done yet. I see them going after two pricey free agents.

B+

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
D

- Kesler trade returned a player very similar to Santorelli (yet we let him go for nothing), a left handed/left side #6 d-man, and a late 1st. And we gave up our 3rd in a deeper draft for a late 3rd...
- Garrison trade only got us a late 2nd.
- We traded that late 2nd for a soon to be 23 year old who hasn't done squat in the NHL, and players like him get traded for 5th round picks all the time but Benning felt the need to give up a 2nd (even when a guy like McKeown was still available to draft).
- Gave up a 3rd for a nothing special 4th liner who will be a UFA next off-season.
- Not a fan of taking a goalie with our early 2nd, but not a huge deal.
- Taking an overage KHL player who nobody heard of who is still signed for 2 more years before he can come over with our 3rd round pick.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
D

- Kesler trade returned a player very similar to Santorelli (yet we let him go for nothing), a left handed/left side #6 d-man, and a late 1st. And we gave up our 3rd in a deeper draft for a late 3rd...
- Garrison trade only got us a late 2nd.
- We traded that late 2nd for a soon to be 23 year old who hasn't done squat in the NHL, and players like him get traded for 5th round picks all the time but Benning felt the need to give up a 2nd (even when a guy like McKeown was still available to draft).
- Gave up a 3rd for a nothing special 4th liner who will be a UFA next off-season.
- Not a fan of taking a goalie with our early 2nd, but not a huge deal.
- Taking an overage KHL player who nobody heard of who is still signed for 2 more years before he can come over with our 3rd round pick.

See the above. Would you have been pissed if the Canucks took Gibson in the second had he fallen to us?

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
I voted "D". It's probably too harsh. "C" is probably more in line with where I'm at (if I'm just looking at it without emotion)... but I see something that could be troubling.

I'm really trying to be positive. I even wrote this post late last night (please note, I wrote it immediately after coming home from a night of drinking... so it might be a bit strange):

Remember when there were rumours that Dean Kamen was inventing some sort of human transporter? The hype was everything will change... that change is coming.

Media and people around the world were excited. "Holy ****!", they said. There were rumours that it was a human transporter, possibly, physically moving someone from one side of the earth to another. A game changer. I remember seeing a physicist on CNN, talking about how could this even be possible.

The invention was wrapped in secrecy, exactly what it was. The world was just told, that Change is Coming. That this change would punch a hole in the present... and take us right to the future, overnight. The inventors said this. Those very few who saw this invention said this. One of the most important inventions in mankind, others said. Some of the more romantic speculated... perhaps we could go back in time, and fix our errors... or perhaps skip the present altogether, and go directly to the future... Perhaps fix the future, before we even got there! It was exciting, this side of the Internet. Change is coming!

When it was finally time to reveal this game-changing human transporter... the world stopped everything to witness it's unveiling. The world, waited. Mouth-watering... Maybe we'll be in Italy tomorrow morning, picking up fresh sausage, and back home cooking it for breakfast, before the wife is even out of bed... The music started... The curtains opened... The spotlight was turned on...

... and this is what the world saw:

bxt_md.jpg

My personal, initial reaction was laughter. I remember saying, "what the ****?" It's a lawnmower. I laughed, it was very funny to me. The build up just didn't match this, scooter. It's a scooter. Human transporter? Technically, okay, a scooter is a human transporter. But call it what it is, IMO. It's a really cool scooter. And no matter how cool this scooter was, it just could not match the hype.

After some time, once I researched this scooter, once I thought about it, I really liked it. This human transporter was pretty great, IMO. And it eventually made for a great prop in Arrested Development.

Today, to me, the Canucks presented a Segway. They said change is coming, and they did deliver change. I initially laughed. The Canucks promoted a human transporter, that will change the way human's travel... and the Canucks technically did. They delivered, a scooter. A really, cool, scooter.

After having time digesting it, and researching it, I like today. Today is funny as hell, IMO, but I do like it. Given circumstance, I think the Canucks did alright... but it does feel quite underwhelming.

To make a long story short... To me, today, is a Segway.

After the first 3 picks, I would have given a "C", perhaps a "B". The new management team is clearly not just going with what was there, and tinkering a bit with it. They are making some hard decisions, which is good. The implementation though, IMO, was overall underwhelming, but difficult to really judge until all the offseason changes are made... and the team actually plays. With the Kesler trade, IMO, they did good with what they had. The Garrison trade, can make sense depending on the overall plan... etc. I think they were a C or a low B. But then, the later picks I'm reading about... We've been following the draft and scouting for a very long time. Some of us, for over 10 years here. Last year, felt like a change. It felt like, they finally got it... But, to me, it feels like they've reverted back to whatever they've been doing prior to last year. If they've reverted back, I now question the pick of McCann. McCann feels like a pick the "old way" would have drafted. Virtanen, IMO, is a way the "old way" would have drafted, if the team had a high pick (I do like the pick... but hopefully, the team won't be having high picks every year, going forward... and can count on the scouting system to churn out players regardless where the team drafts. And given the draft record, overall, that's very concerning, IMHO. Given the "warning sign" I think I see... and starting from somewhere around a C, they failed the final exam for today, for me (where I consider drafting to be one of the most important tasks of an organization). This year, next year, the year after could be very important drafting years. Even if Benning is on the ball, if he's inclined to give this "old way" time to prove itself, it will take him these years to judge the results for himself... wasting these important drafting years. If he's giving benefit of the doubt, because something he feels Gillis didn't do (instead of grabbing the bull by the horns), IMO, we're in trouble.

I voted, "D"... Maybe after thinking about it some more, could change back to a "C". I want to... I'm looking for positives, so, I can be convinced that things are passable, and even good. But if the Canucks are expecting to get season ticket renewals based on yesturday and today, so far, I'd think they would be disappointed. If the Number of Season Ticket Renewals (or # of Refunds requested) are the measure they are using to determine success this weekend, I think that the Canucks themselves would rate this weekend a "C" or "D", using real, hard numbers.

Last edited:

Master Radishes

Nov 29, 2011
Maybe I just hyped it up for myself, because we haven't had an offseason that promised to be this exciting in years, but I came away happy enough but still somewhat disappointed.

The trades I liked. The Kesler trade was fair; I wish it was the 10th instead of 24th, but our hands were tied. The Garrison trade was unfortunate but a necessary cap dump. The Dorsett trade was stupid (a 3rd round pick, really?), but not a big deal. The Vey trade was fine by me, as he could turn into a decent player.

The drafting is what I didn't like. First rounders were good picks, but not the best ones. I would have rather had Nylander/Ehlers or Scherbak/Barbashev. Instead, both were "safer" picks which sacrificed offensive upside. At least one of our two 1st rounders should have been used on a higher potential player. Instead we're just gathering 2nd/3rd line tweeners.

The mid-round picks were decent. I don't like wasting an early 2nd on a goalie when our pipeline is fine already, but Demko is still a top prospect. Tryamkin and Forsling could turn into real nice picks (Forsling could be our traditional 5th round d-man diamond!)

And then the last two picks were...ugh. Such limited upside. Why not take a swing for the fences? Kase, Kulda, Aho, Bayreuther...all available. And we go for low-offense plugs who will fight to even make our AHL team. What a waste. The late rounds are the perfect time to take risks.

So overall I give it a C+. Benning should a willingness to be bold and make change, which I appreciate. But his drafting mentality scares me. I hope it was Delorme's fault, and that next year Benning shows a tendency to go for higher skilled players rather than the "safe" picks. But for now I'm wary of what our drafting under Benning will look like.

So overall I don't mind what we did, I just think we could and should have done a bit better. But it's way too early to fully judge, so I'm happy to be patient and see how all these transactions unfold. Let's see what the FA Frenzy brings.

CP

Thou shalt not Tank
Mar 8, 2008
You guys are nuts A++++

We got Linden from Medicine Hat - this is great

What? Not that Linden? C

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
I think we got a B/C+. I am not too big on Virtanen but I think the reason they drafted him was because yes he is a B.C boy but also he has size I think he will need some work in the AHL and hopefully he can develop a better hockey IQ. But anyways you need some size and I think we will have a monster line of:

Virtanen - Horvat - Kassian

Our projected first line looks like: Shinkaruk - ??? - Jensen?

I think we need to lock up a skilled 1C and maybe 1RW. But next years draft should be better so we will see how that goes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad