Hart/Lindsay
Norris
Vezina
Rocket
Calder
Selke

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
As far as forwards go (unfair to compare Defence and Goalies), I'd say the top order would be:

1) Lindsay - Subjective, but still the whole point is being the most "outstanding" aka. best player in a given year
2) Ross - The single most common way of comparing forwards is how many points they get, it's a big deal
3) Rocket - Goals are the whole point of the game, like the ross, they aren't subjective awards, and you gotta be real good to lead in either goals or points
4) Hart - Too subjective in the last handful of years, players don't get the chance to win this award unless their team makes the playoffs (usually)
5) Selke - Defence is a secondary job for forwards fundamentally, but still important and impressive (see the praise for Bergeron etc)
6) Smythe - Like the Hart, too subjective and 90% of players don't even get a chance to compete for it

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The Hart *should* be the most prestigious. The problem is the people voting for it can't even decide about what criteria to use to vote. Some vote for "best player", while some stick to some really skewed version of "most valuable to his team".

IMO, while it's supposed to be the top dog, the ambiguity in how the voters view who should win it tarnish it a bit.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The Lindsay is far and away the most important to the players. Hockey writers are hacks. The players know.

I've always wondered how much effort the players actually put into picking a winner. I'm sure some take the responsibility seriously, but I wonder how many are more likely to turn to a teammate and be all, "Hey, bud. Who you got? I'll vote for him too".

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Don't know about the others but art ross is #1. Highest percentage of its winners are in the hof compared to any other trophy, it's reserved for the best of the best. Whereas rocket can be won by the likes of Cheechoo, vezina by Jim Carey, hart by Jose Theodore, conn smythe by Claude Lemieux, etc.

Duffalufagus

Jan 4, 2017
I've always wondered how much effort the players actually put into picking a winner. I'm sure some take the responsibility seriously, but I wonder how many are more likely to turn to a teammate and be all, "Hey, bud. Who you got? I'll vote for him too".
Less than 5%?

I don’t know why one would conclude they are that aloof.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Don't know about the others but art ross is #1. Highest percentage of its winners are in the hof compared to any other trophy, it's reserved for the best of the best. Whereas rocket can be won by the likes of Cheechoo, vezina by Jim Carey, hart by Jose Theodore, conn smythe by Claude Lemieux, etc.

just curious, you dont think Lemieux was deserving? not a monster playoffs statistically by anyone but he had 13 even strength goals. Jagr only other player to get to 10. Prolly a tough year to pick but im sure he deserved it.

Reactions: DaveG

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
1. Hart
2. Conn Smythe
3. Art Ross
4. Lindsey
5. Norris
6. Rocket
7. Calder
8. Selke
9. Vezina

Only 9 that matter in terms of historical greatness.

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
Ross
Lindsey
Hart
Smythe
Norris/Vezina/Richard
Selke
Calder

The rest

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
just curious, you dont think Lemieux was deserving? not a monster playoffs statistically by anyone but he had 13 even strength goals. Jagr only other player to get to 10. Prolly a tough year to pick but im sure he deserved it.
I'm not saying any of those players didn't deserve those trophies. I'm saying winning those trophies is possible by players that are not necessarily hall of fame caliber. Whereas art ross you have to be among the best of the best to win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad