Rate the centre depth

mrbitterguy

Sep 24, 2010
san francisco
i voted good but really thought about meh. when healthy the canucks a good top end but i don't see center depth as just your top 4 centers. you need guys throughout the lineup that can step in and especially you need guys on the farm that are moving towards being roster centers in the future. our farm is **** for centers, and we don't have enough multi-position forwards. i mean just look at the team faceoff percentage, 28th in the league. that's not an endorsement of depth.

keslerburrows

Mar 9, 2011
Vernon, Canada
How is it not great... It's top 3 in the league easily when healthy. But if we are going to take injuries into account, how good is Pitt? I mean our most injury prone C is Kesler, theirs is Crosby. So then they are out who's C's are better?

Hank, Roy, Lapierre or Malkin, Sutter, Vitale

Injury prone or not, our centers are GREAT.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'll say 'good' but not 'great'.

We've got 4 solid centers, but 'great' center depth to me, is quality AND options. Teams like Boston, Los Angeles types who have 4 solid Centers and depth beyond that playing on the wings.

For us, if we're completely healthy and everyone is going well, we're really good for depth. But we're 1 injury away from having a big void again. And if chemistry isn't going well or the team needs a shakeup, there are only so many options and looks we can roll out still.

It's certainly better than what we've been rolling with for most of the year though, and with Kesler back if he can get in game shape in time for the playoffs, it's certainly enough to go all the way with a little bit of luck.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Good... certainly not great.

No depth outside of top 4... bad at faceoffs.

They won't be bad on faceoffs with Kesler and Roy in the lineup. We should we a 50% + faceoff team when healthy.

Excellent 1 through 4 IMO. Best I've ever seen in Vancouver.

The only question will be health. If these 4 stay healthy come playoff time, I like the Canucks chances.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
A couple of years ago, it was great. Now, it's good.

Roy and Lapierre in the 3/4 hole are big upgrades on Malhotra/Johnson.

I think a lot of people are going to be surprised by Derek Roy. There probably haven't been 15 centremen in the league that have been more productive than this guy over the last 8 seasons. He's on pace for 60+ points for the 6th time in 7 years.

We got absolutely no production from our 3rd and 4th line centremen a couple years ago in the playoffs. Malhotra's faceoff ability and defensive play will be missed but more than offset by the big skill upgrade with Roy's addition IMO.

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.

I think a lot of people are going to be surprised by Derek Roy. There probably haven't been 15 centremen in the league that have been more productive than this guy over the last 8 seasons. He's on pace for 60+ points for the 6th time in 7 years.

We got absolutely no production from our 3rd and 4th line centremen a couple years ago in the playoffs. Malhotra's faceoff ability and defensive play will be missed but more than offset by the big skill upgrade with Roy's addition IMO.

We are very lucky to have him. what Roy brings is a lot more than what Malhotra brought.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
how is sedin / kesler / roy / lapierre anything but great? if we're judging by centre depth alone its better than the stanley cup final team that everybody lauded for its centre depth (assuming a healthy kesler)

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
We are very lucky to have him. what Roy brings is a lot more than what Malhotra brought.

Malhotra was a valuable player for us in '10-11 but this is a guy that spent a lot of years as a 4th liner. Roy has been a 1st or 2nd line centre pretty much his entire career. This is a considerable upgrade...

Does anyone know his career shootout numbers?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
kind of smurfy, but if healthy, this is easily the best center depth we've ever had. hart/ross, selke, 1st/2nd line tweener, legit 3rd liner, AHL star, young former first round pick.

the only time that even begins to approach this was that one week we had janney, craven, ronning, mcintyre, carson, young peca. and that's not even particularly close.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
They won't be bad on faceoffs with Kesler and Roy in the lineup. We should we a 50% + faceoff team when healthy.

Excellent 1 through 4 IMO. Best I've ever seen in Vancouver.

The only question will be health. If these 4 stay healthy come playoff time, I like the Canucks chances.

Roy is sub 50%.

Kesler will help.

I think with Kesler they hover around 50% yes, 16th-18th in the league.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
kind of smurfy, but if healthy, this is easily the best center depth we've ever had. hart/ross, selke, 1st/2nd line tweener, legit 3rd liner, AHL star, young former first round pick.

the only time that even begins to approach this was that one week we had janney, craven, ronning, mcintyre, carson, young peca. and that's not even particularly close.
Why do people keep saying Roy's a 3rd liner. The man's a legitimate 2nd line centreman in this league.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Why do people keep saying Roy's a 3rd liner. The man's a legitimate 2nd line centreman in this league.

he was referring to Lapierre I believe

Hart/Art Ross winner - Henik
Selke winner- Kesler
1st/2nd line tweener- Roy
legit third liner- Lapierre
AHL all star- Ebbett
former first round pick- Schroeder

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011

2013 Sedin/Kesler are downgrades from 2011 Sedin/Kesler. Malhotra's FO ability rippled though the lineup, probably from having him to drill against. That seemed to have worn off.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Roy is sub 50%.

Kesler will help.

I think with Kesler they hover around 50% yes, 16th-18th in the league.

This year he is. Last year he was 50.6% with 1300+ faceoffs.

Henrik, Roy and Lapierre shouls all hover near 50% with Kesler in the 55% range. With the 4, the team should be in the 50-51% range IMO - huge upgrade from where we are right now...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad