Recalled/Assigned: Rasmussen to GR

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think if this were Ken Holland you'd have a point. Yzerman has a pretty strong history of making hard decisions that people might not agree with, but turn out to be the best ones.

It's pretty much same decision making. "Tie goes to the veteran." ELC kids in the farm and signed vets will play in NHL.

Based on this board, when Holland did it, it was wrong, and when Yzerman does it, it's nothing but right.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
He's not been playing well. Still very soft on the puck too often. Still not a good decision maker. And still not a center.

Another season in the AHL could really help him build on all those points you mentioned above. I still find he looks a bit wobbly on his skates too, much less than last year, but definitely needs to gain a few more lbs of muscle in his legs.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
It's pretty much same decision making. "Tie goes to the veteran." ELC kids in the farm and signed vets will play in NHL.

Based on this board, when Holland did it, it was wrong, and when Yzerman does it, it's nothing but right.
This thread alone disproves your depiction of how unfair life is for Ken Holland. Several people disagree with the decision.

Why must we keep playing the "If Holland did it..." game?

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Opinions. I think he has outplayed several guys and brings more to the table than Filppula or Nielsen for example. And yes, I find it more meaningful to see our young players adjusting to the NHL rather than spend another season with a purely placeholder roster.
How many players in the lineup are part of this team in 5 years? 3? 4?

I wonder how much the front office (or any front office for that matter) thinks in the way of, "If we're paying a player X amount of money then we're going to put them on the ice no matter how bad they are to make them at least somewhat earn their pay." Especially for a team as bad as this one. This is just speculation from me but I wonder if any of the people here who know people would be willing to indulge my suspicion.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
We have the worst 2C/3C situation in the entire league. Guys who can’t win face offs, don’t produce points, and are big minus players.

We are also a rebuilding team.

But yeah sure, let’s send down our young big center prospect.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Would have preferred to keep Rasmussen up. He was outplaying more than 50% of the current forwards on the team.

so would I. I'd have him in the lineup every night, centering the second line with Fabbri out. Blashill isn't playing him, though.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
We have the worst 2C/3C situation in the entire league. Guys who can’t win face offs, don’t produce points, and are big minus players.

We are also a rebuilding team.

But yeah sure, let’s send down our young big center prospect.

I'm curious to see where Filppula's stat line ends up this year.

So far he's played 10 games, 15+ minutes a night and he's totaled...

1 goal
0 assists
5 shots (7 attempted)
2 hits
44% faceoff
41.7% CF

I mean how much worse does this need to get for "tie goes to the vet" to not apply?

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
Raz looks more confident om the ice. Maybe the time in Europe did him well, and some more big minutes in the A will further boost him. He’ll surely be back after TDL

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I liked the Ryan-Ras-Mantha line

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Namestnikov
Ryan-Ras-Mantha
Fabbri-Filppula-Zadina
Erne-Glendening-Helm

Flip/Nielsen battling for the C job between Zadina and Fabbri.

I think that 4th line is fine.
Do you think the other 3 lines can hold their own?

Not much you can do about the shithole defense.

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
I am not sure when, but at some point within the last decade it has become a thing where the GM doesn't tell the coach what to do. I understand it at times, but I think around the league they hide behind this a lot. We are not a good team, we weren't planning to be a good team, if Ras needing to play 15 minutes a night is a thing, great play his ass Blash and tell him to do so absence really poor effort for a night Yzerman. He doesn't look that out of place. He has outplayed a good chunk of the guys. Keep in mind if you're Ras at this point you sitting in the minors getting a bigger role so worse players can play above you has actually cost you a million dollars.

So yeah annoyed. I want him to play, I hope he goes down with the right mindset.

A part of my annoyance this year is guys like Filppula and Nielsen don't even need to be sent down and forced to ride a bus to earn their living. Staple them to the taxi squad. Oh well. I don't think we have a great plan going on Ras. He needs to dominate at the AHL level. I don't really accept that we cannot give him a top 9 role and special teams with the current talent level and the importance of his development though.

I can't agree with this enough. And add to the fact that when they indeed deem him ready for the NHL full time they're only going to give him 12-15 minutes per night anyways. What's the point of keeping him down now? He hasn't looked out of place and on this team he's an asset even with his inexperience that's how horrible we are. Let him take his lumps in the shortened season and start over next season. Unless the brass thinks he can ultimately be a #1 C or an elite #2 I don't understand the additional time in GR to develop.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I would have kept him up, but then again I have seen enough of Flip and Nielsen to last about 16 lifetimes.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
None of these so-called vets are helpful for the young players. Filppula, Nielsen, Glendenning, do nothing offensively. Worse, they take roster space away from others. I'd rather see Rasmussen play their minutes. I suppose beating up on handicapped kids in the AHL will improve his confidence. Still, as a fan, I'd rather see him play against NHL players and not have washed up vets take his place.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
None of these so-called vets are helpful for the young players. Filppula, Nielsen, Glendenning, do nothing offensively. Worse, they take roster space away from others. I'd rather see Rasmussen play their minutes. I suppose beating up on handicapped kids in the AHL will improve his confidence. Still, as a fan, I'd rather see him play against NHL players and not have washed up vets take his place.
I'm with you except for Glendening. After Larkin he takes the lionshare of faceoffs. Flip takes a fair amount too so if he's gone you've gotta keep Glendening or the Wings would never get the puck out of their own end. He also only plays 13 minutes a game and as much as possible is on the PK.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
We need to start moving out veterans.
It's f***ing ridiculous.
Yup , we’re gonna put in 4-8 new guys next year and expect to be competitive and be shocked when we suck of garbage again

We need to insert some guys now to gain experience so its not so bad next season , zadina,rasmussen,smith need as many games as possible and cholowski and lindstrom should be given games to see where theyre at

Next season seider,veleno will likely make the team and raymond and berggren might make it as well thats 4 . You keep smith and rasmussen down for the majority of the year thats 6 + pearson and lindstrom/cholowski and god knows who else makes it and suddenly were looking at 7-8 guys in the lineup with virtually no nhl experience

Start giving these kids games now

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
I don’t think this team will improve until we get rid of Neilsen and Filppula. They are providing nothing

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
I'm with you except for Glendening. After Larkin he takes the lionshare of faceoffs. Flip takes a fair amount too so if he's gone you've gotta keep Glendening or the Wings would never get the puck out of their own end. He also only plays 13 minutes a game and as much as possible is on the PK.
Yeah, he's good at faceoffs. His 0 points in 10 games however, is a different story.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Yeah. But if Glendening has trade value, you've got to consider moving him.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Realistically we should get value (even if it is minimal) for:

Ryan
Helm
Filppula
Staal
Nemeth
Bernier

Helm and Filppula are solid veteran guys to plug into a 4th line and Helm still brings speed even at his age, both can play C/LW and kill penalties if need be

Staal and Nemeth could similarly be utilized at 6/7 D who bring size and strength and can kill penalties

All four of these guys might only fetch mid/ late picks and may have to be retained in certain instances, but I'd say getting anything for them would be a win, and another pick is another dart to throw at the board on draft day

Bernier and Ryan are both actually still quite good at what they do, and hopefully we'd get something worthwhile back for them as they can still carry more regular responsibility - goalies usually don't fetch much return unless they are looking to take over a team's starting job, are young, and have some sort of cost-controlled situation (thinking of guys like Andersen, Schneider, etc.) Ideally we get something like a 2nd for each of these guys

It will be interesting to see if the trades start a bit earlier this year because of the potential travel and quarantining that could need to take place, as well as injuries that are considered "week to week" needing to be patched in a more urgent nature, seeing as ~a month long injury is much more dire this season than any other

Hopefully we can flip some of these guys soon and get Rasmussen and others playing significant NHL minutes

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Yeah, he's good at faceoffs. His 0 points in 10 games however, is a different story.
Yes but he plays a pretty big role in keeping the puck out the Wings net. He's not really in the lineup to score goals. There's other guys I'd sit before him is all I'm saying. And Nielsen is top of the list.

Yeah. But if Glendening has trade value, you've got to consider moving him.
Agreed. A trade is a whole different story.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad