Recalled/Assigned: Rasmussen to GR

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Good move. The guy needs to play.

Agreed. He’s not the player we need right now. Hirose has a clear impact on the team that we just don’t have right now.

Now if you were going to gut the roster and give Ras a locked in third line role where he might play 12-14 minutes a night...my feelings would be different.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I'm kind of torn on this.

Selfishly, I enjoyed seeing Ras up this year and I don't think he's looked out of place.

On the other hand, a "full" year as the 1C in Grand Rapids could be key for his development and confidence. I don't really view Ras as a top 6 guy going forward, but if he can produce offensively in GR I'd love to see it.

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
I'm kind of torn on this.

Selfishly, I enjoyed seeing Ras up this year and I don't think he's looked out of place.

On the other hand, a "full" year as the 1C in Grand Rapids could be key for his development and confidence. I don't really view Ras as a top 6 guy going forward, but if he can produce offensively in GR I'd love to see it.
Something tells me Ras will be back sooner than later.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I am not sure when, but at some point within the last decade it has become a thing where the GM doesn't tell the coach what to do. I understand it at times, but I think around the league they hide behind this a lot. We are not a good team, we weren't planning to be a good team, if Ras needing to play 15 minutes a night is a thing, great play his ass Blash and tell him to do so absence really poor effort for a night Yzerman. He doesn't look that out of place. He has outplayed a good chunk of the guys. Keep in mind if you're Ras at this point you sitting in the minors getting a bigger role so worse players can play above you has actually cost you a million dollars.

So yeah annoyed. I want him to play, I hope he goes down with the right mindset.

A part of my annoyance this year is guys like Filppula and Nielsen don't even need to be sent down and forced to ride a bus to earn their living. Staple them to the taxi squad. Oh well. I don't think we have a great plan going on Ras. He needs to dominate at the AHL level. I don't really accept that we cannot give him a top 9 role and special teams with the current talent level and the importance of his development though.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
We are 2-6-2, play Ras 15 minutes a night at least. He has played pretty well in my opinion and I hate that a losing team insists on playing worse players, when we have the worst roster and depth in the league. If we are a competitive playoff team, than let him play in the AHL, we are a crap team, so let the kids play. If he was in over his head, than I get it, but he isn't!

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
We are 2-6-2, play Ras 15 minutes a night at least. He has played pretty well in my opinion and I hate that a losing team insists on playing worse players, when we have the worst roster and depth in the league. If we are a competitive playoff team, than let him play in the AHL, we are a crap team, so let the kids play. If he was in over his head, than I get it, but he isn't!

He's not been playing well. Still very soft on the puck too often. Still not a good decision maker. And still not a center.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
He's not been playing well. Still very soft on the puck too often. Still not a good decision maker. And still not a center.

You are the only one saying that he isn't playing well. And I definitely don't agree. Also, how do you learn to play hard on the puck against men, by playing against the best the NHL has to offer, not playing against weaker AHL players. His decision making has been fine, as has his read of where to be in our zone.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
That’s disappointing, Ras was looking more comfortable and competitive each game. He really started to assert himself physically too. We need more players like him not less.

I guess I get the idea of giving him 1C minutes in Grand Rapids plus you’re keeping him away from a losing culture. But to me you’re not rewarding the kid for his play on the ice and I don’t like that.

Oh well, more Filppula and Nielsen soft, lazy, careless hockey.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
You are the only one saying that he isn't playing well. And I definitely don't agree. Also, how do you learn to play hard on the puck against men, by playing against the best the NHL has to offer, not playing against weaker AHL players. His decision making has been fine, as has his read of where to be in our zone.

I am not the only one saying he hasn't been playing well. His stats, his advanced stats and the eye test all say the same thing; he's not playing well at the NHL level. Hell, the organization's hope for him now is that he can be a shutdown center. That's a pretty far car from when they drafted him as a potential top 6 center. Its telling that he played himself off of the 2nd line, and now all the way back to the AHL.

Reactions: taliababa

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I think he has shown some slight improvement so far, but the guy is clearly not ready to make an impact at the NHL level. He has been soft, considering his size and seems a step behind with his decision making. I am still a believer in Ras, but now is not the time. Hopefully he takes some steps forward in GR and comes back later in the season and is up to the challenge then. I think this is one prospect where patience is important and where patience will win out in the end.

Unfortunately, there goes one of the only reasons to look forward to watching the miserable Red Wings. Hopefully Zadina comes back soon.

Reactions: Crunchy

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Hate this decision.

Oh well, just 40-ish games left of this painful mess, maybe next season we will actually try to ice a meaningful team.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Hate this decision.

Oh well, just 40-ish games left of this painful mess, maybe next season we will actually try to ice a meaningful team.

Yeah, Ras is the missing piece that this team needed to be meaningful. He couldn't out play most of the useless plugs. If a player can't win ice time with this team, they deserve to be in GR.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Yeah, Ras is the missing piece that this team needed to be meaningful. He couldn't out play most of the useless plugs. If a player can't win ice time with this team, they deserve to be in GR.
Opinions. I think he has outplayed several guys and brings more to the table than Filppula or Nielsen for example. And yes, I find it more meaningful to see our young players adjusting to the NHL rather than spend another season with a purely placeholder roster.
How many players in the lineup are part of this team in 5 years? 3? 4?

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Opinions. I think he has outplayed several guys and brings more to the table than Filppula or Nielsen for example. And yes, I find it more meaningful to see our young players adjusting to the NHL rather than spend another season with a purely placeholder roster.
I don't see Ras as a long term part of this roster. He's looking like a role player not a core player. And if he can't beat Nielsen or Flip in Yzerman's eyes he's right where he belongs.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Have to sell those vets first, then open a spot later in the season.

Sitting vet won't give you any extra draft picks.

Reactions: 14ari13

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I don't see Ras as a long term part of this roster. He's looking like a role player not a core player. And if he can't beat Nielsen or Flip in Yzerman's eyes he's right where he belongs.
Role players can be part of teams for a long time too. I think it's just easy to send him down. Comfortable decision.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Role players can be part of teams for a long time too. I think it's just easy to send him down. Comfortable decision.

I think if this were Ken Holland you'd have a point. Yzerman has a pretty strong history of making hard decisions that people might not agree with, but turn out to be the best ones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad