Tribute Rasmus Sandin

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I think there was something going on behind the scenes, a pure hockey trade, you’ll never convince me this was a good return and I feel statistically confident it will be another irritant in the years ahead.

Also, when we trade our late firsts, everone says they are really like 2nd rounders and a total crap shoot, but when we get one, suddenly it’s a terrific opportunity and genius.

It makes sense. I can’t see Dubas moving him just because he wanted another 1st to potentially trade. And also getting Gustavsson back to fill a similar need.

I’m guessing the relationship between parties was fractured after last offseason and while they were professional to get Sandin playing, I imagine there was an understanding that Dubas would quietly shop him around when the time was right to provide him an opportunity elsewhere.

The deadline seemed like the right time considering Sandin likely doesn’t improve his value in the press box during the playoffs.

It’s a shame because I really liked his game, he has his flaws, but it’s was clear that with Rielly re-signed Sandin had a tough clear spot.

But there is good merit in the argument that the Leafs should have just moved on from Rielly and kept Sandin instead.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
While I'm not overly fond of the long-term ramifications of this trade for the Leafs, it's important to remember that Carlson still being out has opened the door to a much bigger opportunity for Sandin there.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
you know a trade wasn't the best value and has a good chance of making you look bad by the number of excuses that get floated

-Dubas doesn't or supposedly doesn't have a contract this year
-Dubas emptied our draft capital for a run this year
-Dubie put another long term road block in front Sandin
-Dubie wanted to recoup a 1st just in case he's still here

if and i doubt he did ask for a trade then it's still on Dubas for not having the faith in Sandin and opening a path for him

Reactions: geo25

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
Sandin would have been good for 4-5 hits a game from the 5 slot In the playoffs and is smarter and more skilled and younger than McCabe and allows us to focus on Bringing a top 4 instead.

But you do you Dubas.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I’m glad he isn’t in Boston. (He was traded for Boston’s first). Sandin is in Washington

Last edited:

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
2nd Period

19:02
i
Craig Smith (6)
Assists: Rasmus Sandin (17), Dylan Strome (29)

3rd period

5:50
i
T.J. Oshie (16) (Power Play)
Assists: Alex Ovechkin (25), Rasmus Sandin (18)

16:05
i
Alex Ovechkin (35)
Assists: Vincent Iorio (1), Rasmus Sandin (19)

Dig the screws a little deeper Mess, just a little deeper... :P

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It makes sense. I can’t see Dubas moving him just because he wanted another 1st to potentially trade. And also getting Gustavsson back to fill a similar need.

I’m guessing the relationship between parties was fractured after last offseason and while they were professional to get Sandin playing, I imagine there was an understanding that Dubas would quietly shop him around when the time was right to provide him an opportunity elsewhere.

The deadline seemed like the right time considering Sandin likely doesn’t improve his value in the press box during the playoffs.

It’s a shame because I really liked his game, he has his flaws, but it’s was clear that with Rielly re-signed Sandin had a tough clear spot.

But there is good merit in the argument that the Leafs should have just moved on from Rielly and kept Sandin instead.

The deal this reminds me of is Kapanen to Pittsburgh for the Amirov pick. We basically get a cheaper part time offensive Erik Gustafsson short term who will rotate in and out of the lineup without the drama and a 1st round pick. That pick might be at the very end of the 1st round, but it's currency that has its value on draft day and fills the hole left in the ROR deal.

To me, Sandin wasn't a good organizational fit. You don't see a lot of young guys breaking into the league calling shots like that before they're proven. Seems like the Leafs promoted him too fast to the 1st PP back in 2020-21 and may have accelerated his expectations. That's not really a spot to yo yo a kid into.

Maybe Sandin could have been kept over Rielly, but I also don't think Sandin does what peak Rielly does.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
The deal this reminds me of is Kapanen to Pittsburgh for the Amirov pick. We basically get a cheaper part time offensive Erik Gustafsson short term who will rotate in and out of the lineup without the drama and a 1st round pick. That pick might be at the very end of the 1st round, but it's currency that has its value on draft day and fills the hole left in the ROR deal.

To me, Sandin wasn't a good organizational fit. You don't see a lot of young guys breaking into the league calling shots like that before they're proven. Seems like the Leafs promoted him too fast to the 1st PP back in 2020-21 and may have accelerated his expectations. That's not really a spot to yo yo a kid into.

Maybe Sandin could have been kept over Rielly, but I also don't think Sandin does what peak Rielly does.

Rielly is the better skater but Sandin has the higher hockey IQ and will score more on the PP.

it’s poor asset management by Dubas and Keefe.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Rielly is the better skater but Sandin has the higher hockey IQ and will score more on the PP.

it’s poor asset management by Dubas and Keefe.

Rielly might be past peak or coming off injury though and not the best direct comparison. Sandin has played almost 150 games with the Leafs and has been very inconsistent.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
2nd Period

19:02
i
Craig Smith (6)
Assists: Rasmus Sandin (17), Dylan Strome (29)

3rd period

5:50
i
T.J. Oshie (16) (Power Play)
Assists: Alex Ovechkin (25), Rasmus Sandin (18)

16:05
i
Alex Ovechkin (35)
Assists: Vincent Iorio (1), Rasmus Sandin (19)

Rasmus -9 in his last 3 games...

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
I think there was more going on behind the scenes… stuff they knew RS was not going to be in Toronto’s future.

Reactions: Ciao

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Showing what a defensive liability he is. -9 in last 3 is beyond terrible.

Of course he’s going to put up points he’s on the PP with ovy and co. Also playing big minutes and he’s basically “the guy”.

He’s a whine bag. Not a winner. Always complained. I’ll take a 1st rd pick and a depth D man for him all day.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Pretty sure it's locked in at 28th. The Bruins are the highest seed that didn't make the conference finals, but nice 4 spot pickup there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad