Tribute Rasmus Sandin

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Good player who never quite played his way into our long term plans. He'll have a good career, but still needs to improve to reach the potential we saw in him.

He'll score against us the next time we play the Caps, there is no doubt.

Reactions: Strangle

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Best of luck to Sandin. Washington is a beautiful place, really enjoyed it when I visited there a couple years ago. In a way I’m shocked he’s actually gone. Washington got a pretty good young defenceman.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
This is a tough loss. I saw a lot of potential in Rasmus a couple years back, but for one reason or another he seemed to have plateaued. My fear for why he plateaued is because he wasn't given the runway to make mistakes on the job and learn at the highest level. Not because he hit the limit on his potential.

I think when you have good young offensive defensemen like Rasmus, sometimes you need to let them learn through their mistakes. Unfortunately for Rasmus, we were not in a position to give him that type of runway. He will more than likely get that chance in WSH, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about that. Because this may be a deal that we regret.

Best of luck Rasmus, really tough to see you go.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
This is a tough loss. I saw a lot of potential in Rasmus a couple years back, but for one reason or another he seemed to have plateaued. My fear for why he plateaued is because he wasn't given the runway to make mistakes on the job and learn at the highest level. Not because he hit the limit on his potential.

I think when you have good young offensive defensemen like Rasmus, sometimes you need to let them learn through their mistakes. Unfortunately for Rasmus, we were not in a position to give him that type of runway. He will more than likely get that chance in WSH, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about that. Because this may be a deal that we regret.

Best of luck Rasmus, really tough to see you go.

Looks like mcCabe made him obsolete

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Meh...not a fan of the contract demands prior to the season after proving nothing...thought it was a sign of headaches to come. Guess he is someone else's headache now.

Reactions: Gilmour1996

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
I love all the excuses I am reading from the apologists in this thread.

"Sandin plateaued" - Isn't he 22 years old?

"It was a numbers game" - This team played its most defensively responsible when Reilly was out and Sandin was in the top 6. In more successful organizations players move up the line up when they play better.

"Not a fast skater" - His hockey IQ more than makes up for it.

In terms of asset management it doesn't make sense at all. I would have dumped Holl and Kerfoot before I considered trading Sandin and Engvall.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I love all the excuses I am reading from the apologists in this thread.

"Sandin plateaued" - Isn't he 22 years old?

"It was a numbers game" - This team played its most defensively responsible when Reilly was out and Sandin was in the top 6. In more successful organizations players move up the line up when they play better.

"Not a fast skater" - His hockey IQ more than makes up for it.

In terms of asset management it doesn't make sense at all. I would have dumped Holl and Kerfoot before I considered trading Sandin and Engvall.
I thought this trade only made sense if Dubas needed that first for another trade.

I don’t feel good about moving on from Sandin. This one we could regret as soon as next year

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I do wonder if Sandin had quietly asked for a trade after the McCabe deal. The contract issue last summer was a bit of a red flag.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I do wonder if Sandin had quietly asked for a trade after the McCabe deal. The contract issue last summer was a bit of a red flag.
I think there was something going on behind the scenes, a pure hockey trade, you’ll never convince me this was a good return and I feel statistically confident it will be another irritant in the years ahead.

Also, when we trade our late firsts, everone says they are really like 2nd rounders and a total crap shoot, but when we get one, suddenly it’s a terrific opportunity and genius.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Rasmus Sandin had three assists in his first game in a Caps' sweater, Gabriel Carlsson had a pair of helpers in his first game with Washington, and Vincent Iorio recorded his first NHL point in his first NHL game, picking up the primary helper on Ovechkin's second goal of the game.

LOL I couldn't stand this guy and now he gets 3 assists in his first game...

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Rasmus Sandin had three assists in his first game in a Caps' sweater, Gabriel Carlsson had a pair of helpers in his first game with Washington, and Vincent Iorio recorded his first NHL point in his first NHL game, picking up the primary helper on Ovechkin's second goal of the game.

LOL I couldn't stand this guy and now he gets 3 assists in his first game...

2nd Period

19:02
i
Craig Smith (6)
Assists: Rasmus Sandin (17), Dylan Strome (29)

3rd period

5:50
i
T.J. Oshie (16) (Power Play)
Assists: Alex Ovechkin (25), Rasmus Sandin (18)

16:05
i
Alex Ovechkin (35)
Assists: Vincent Iorio (1), Rasmus Sandin (19)

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I thought this trade only made sense if Dubas needed that first for another trade.

I don’t feel good about moving on from Sandin. This one we could regret as soon as next year
Same. Keeping the '23 1st Rd pick didn't make any sense to me unless it's for shipping Murray out this summer just like we did with Mrazek.

Reactions: Strangle

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Sandin is going to get more minutes and points with Washington. He is QBing PP1 right now, an opportunity he would never get with the Leafs when everyone is healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad