Injury Report: Rasmus Sandin Neck injury - placed on IR

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
It sucks he got hurt when he did, he looked like he was calming down and playing better D, his start to the season was about as bad as any defender had on the Leaf back end in the last 20 years. Lilly's presence seemed to calm him down.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
It sucks he got hurt when he did, he looked like he was calming down and playing better D, his start to the season was about as bad as any defender had on the Leaf back end in the last 20 years. Lilly's presence seemed to calm him down.

Lily’s presence? Lol Sandin just started to play with more confidence. That’s really it. Those two also have chemistry. Liljegren didn’t do anything. I think we overhype Liljegren a bit on this board. He’s a good defenseman but he isn’t responsible for others playing well. Sandin started playing well because he found confidence and was given more ice time and the green light to make plays. Pretty simple.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
This team absolutely needs a dman like Rielly. When teams start clogging it down and the refs put their whistles away(like rangers game we played not too long ago) you need dmen that can break through in those games.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Lily’s presence? Lol Sandin just started to play with more confidence. That’s really it. Those two also have chemistry. Liljegren didn’t do anything. I think we overhype Liljegren a bit on this board. He’s a good defenseman but he isn’t responsible for others playing well. Sandin started playing well because he found confidence and was given more ice time and the green light to make plays. Pretty simple.

I was not implying that Lilly was a great defender. Sandin played with /was paired with Lilly in the minors so there is a comfort there already. Before Lilly came back, Sandin IMO was trying to be a hero every shift and was forcing play resulting in mistakes, I think the familiarity with Lilly allowed Sandin to slow his mind and game down and play better as a result. TBH, last year, until they got Gio I thought Lilly was dogshit on most nights. This year I think Lilly has grown as a pro, minus a few bad shifts, he is playing like a guy who knows he belongs in the NHL, this year he looks every bit like a regular NHLer. I honestly could not say that about him last year.

Reactions: francis246

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I was not implying that Lilly was a great defender. Sandin played with /was paired with Lilly in the minors so there is a comfort there already. Before Lilly came back, Sandin IMO was trying to be a hero every shift and was forcing play resulting in mistakes, I think the familiarity with Lilly allowed Sandin to slow his mind and game down and play better as a result. TBH, last year, until they got Gio I thought Lilly was dogshit on most nights. This year I think Lilly has grown as a pro, minus a few bad shifts, he is playing like a guy who knows he belongs in the NHL, this year he looks every bit like a regular NHLer. I honestly could not say that about him last year.
Sandin CAN NOT play the right side effectively in the NHL at this stage of his career.
Moving him back to his left side and getting extra PT made all the difference in his improvement IMO.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Gonna be interesting to see the D once Sandin comes back. There all playing so well, but you gotta get him in the line up. Do you scratch Holl? who has been pretty good on the Top PK, although he still has his big time mistakes.

Rielly - Brodie
Sandin - Liljegren
Giordano - Timmins

Your basically expecting Rielly, Brodie, Gio and Liljegren to handle the PK in this case.

You could swap the pairings around, just meant to show the left side vs right side

Reactions: crump

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
It will be interesting to see who comes out. My knee jerk reaction is to take Holl out, but he’s been damn good on the Pk and is playing within himself. With the season entering the dog days, it may make sense to ease off Giordano on back to backs, take Timmins out once in a while just because he hasn’t played a ton in the last few years, so rotate Holl, Gio and Timmins in heavy schedule.

Another option is 7 D and double shift Matthews or Nylander on the 4th line

Reactions: Gilmour1996

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Why not give Giordano some games off when Sandin is back? We need him fresh for the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad