Tribute Rasmus Sandin Discussion Thread

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
No. I would find it concerning though if there isn't one player that isn't capable of filling in on the Leafs bottom pair.
We do have players down there capable of filling in on the Leafs bottom pair, but we don't need them, because even with Sandin's injury, we still have 6 quality NHL defensemen.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
No. I would find it concerning though if there isn't one player that isn't capable of filling in on the Leafs bottom pair.

Holl typically doesn't play on the bottom pair. If the performance of a player on the Marlies, was better than someone on the Leafs, they would replace them. If you've watched the Marlies at all, you would understand that the guys who could be called up for RD, are Menell, Biega and Duszak. They each have strengths and weaknesses, but none are really much more than spot replacements in an emergency.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Holl typically doesn't play on the bottom pair. If the performance of a player on the Marlies, was better than someone on the Leafs, they would replace them. If you've watched the Marlies at all, you would understand that the guys who could be called up for RD, are Menell, Biega and Duszak. They each have strengths and weaknesses, but none are really much more than spot replacements in an emergency.
Ok:laugh:

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
So you don't really know who is on the Marlies, don't watch them play, but somehow think it's funny that they aren't even better than Holl? That's an impressive take, coming from a complete lack of knowledge.
Could Lilligren not fill in for Holl?

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
I'm not even sure that Dermott is a big downgrade from Sandin at this point in their respective careers. We have been weathering through the ups and downs of Sandin as a regular defender for future returns and the current nice low cap hit. The bigger impact is that now the team is one more defense injury away from issues.

Do not forget that there is a glut of LD in the league. It is possible to source an inexpensive 7th defender.

deltamachine

Mar 30, 2013
I'm kinda let down by Keefe's reaction. If he wants players to show some emotion...not just the Simmonds and Cliffords, i think he should have just let loose himself. I liked seeing Paul Maurice's piss and vinegar last night.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

jimmycarter

Jun 12, 2010
I liked seeing Keefe calm when Maurice was having a hissy fit.

Diss appointed Ritchie didn’t get a pound of flesh. He tried, but try harder.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I'm kinda let down by Keefe's reaction. If he wants players to show some emotion...not just the Simmonds and Cliffords, i think he should have just let loose himself. I liked seeing Paul Maurice's piss and vinegar last night.

I thought Keefe's interview was perfect. I thought him letting the players goon it up was perfect. No need to act like a lunatic, keep your composure, and let the actions do the talking.

Reactions: aingefan

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Could Lilligren not fill in for Holl?

Lilligren? I think Liljegren is an adequate replacement, yes. But, that doesn't change much. Is Holl on the 3rd pair then? Just shuffling deck chairs? You've still got to bring in a body, if Holl goes out the door. The Marlies depth is adequate for emergency situations only, not to be depended on as a 7th guy in the playoffs.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
It's telling you didn't even name a Marlie defenceman.
I know it's rare here but I don't speak of things I'm unsure of.
I would assume however that there must be at least one Marlie capable of playing on the bottom pair.
Poor assumption?

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Menell was third in scoring overall on the Minsk Dynamo last year as a defenseman. He did really well during our preseason.
I doubt there is a large separation in skill, he is 24 and he is cheap. Might not be brain dead either

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Menell was third in scoring overall on the Minsk Dynamo last year as a defenseman. He did really well during our preseason.
I doubt there is a large separation in skill, he is 24 and he is cheap. Might not be brain dead either

He's been very mediocre at the AHL level, when I've watched the Marlies... of course, Moore's structure is also terrible, so that could be part of it. Given what I've seen, I wouldn't be comfortable with more than an emergency situation for him. I certainly wouldn't be relying on him enough, to trade away Holl, without a replacement at this point. As a #8/9 guy, I'm good... However, call him up, give him an opportunity for a few games at the NHL level, and reserve judgement then... He's great depth to have, I just would hate to have Sandin down for a while, then trade Holl, and end up with Menell as our #6 guy... then another injury and we are screwed. The point in this... is we can't afford to move Holl right now, without a replacement come back. Menell is effective depth, emergency replacement, but not someone you want to count on as a #6 for any longer stretch.

Reactions: Thornbury

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017

I think what Keefe did was perfect. Maurice was pissed because he wasnt expecting the push back from the Leafs and was worried of his players health.

Keefe being calm and collective was the best approach. Maurice got a taste of his own medicine and didnt like it. Ce la VIE!!!!

Love it. Keefe is the man. As you can see, he has his team playing like a team. Thats all you can ask as a coach. He was enjoying every moment with a grin. As he should.

Reactions: aingefan

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Very much hoping that Sandin isn't going to be out for a long stretch of games. Quite the full time opportunity at hand though for Dermott (on his strong side) and Liljegren.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
He's been very mediocre at the AHL level, when I've watched the Marlies... of course, Moore's structure is also terrible, so that could be part of it. Given what I've seen, I wouldn't be comfortable with more than an emergency situation for him. I certainly wouldn't be relying on him enough, to trade away Holl, without a replacement at this point. As a #8/9 guy, I'm good... However, call him up, give him an opportunity for a few games at the NHL level, and reserve judgement then... He's great depth to have, I just would hate to have Sandin down for a while, then trade Holl, and end up with Menell as our #6 guy... then another injury and we are screwed. The point in this... is we can't afford to move Holl right now, without a replacement come back. Menell is effective depth, emergency replacement, but not someone you want to count on as a #6 for any longer stretch.
He has only played 8 games for the marlies and I believe got a shoulder injury on the last one. No idea what his status is. If he is available, I would call him up. The thing is, it is probably wise for the leafs to have 7 Dmen on the roster. due to injury. I think Sandin is going to be out for a couple of months and Menell makes it 7. If he sucks, you trade him. If he is good, you have an option to move either him or Holl.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I think what Keefe did was perfect. Maurice was pissed because he wasnt expecting the push back from the Leafs and was worried of his players health.

Keefe being calm and collective was the best approach. Maurice got a taste of his own medicine and didnt like it. Ce la VIE!!!!

Love it. Keefe is the man. As you can see, he has his team playing like a team. Thats all you can ask as a coach. He was enjoying every moment with a grin. As he should.
I was impressed by the calmness Keefe showed, Maurice was way out there definitely a difference from the calmness he displays in his interviews.

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
Still very glad, I didn't watch, the game. My inner Wayne Maki, still burning,watching that bizarre, weird, massage, ulto with Dubois, doing strange stuff, on top of our best player..

It went beyond certain boundaries of understanding for me....

First word for me as a guy who has dutifully punched in the clock, watching the NHL..

Revolting...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad