Prospect Info: Rasmus Ristolainen (2013, 8th) – '14-15: Buffalo #55 (NHL) – 2015: Graduated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Random thoughts:

- He can develop in Finland like Armia did.

- What do they make in that league? Is it more than the 70k salary and 92.5K signing bonus if he plays in the AHL?

-Wait until the KHL has teams across Europe. NHL teams will have to consider the "Russian factor" for ALL European players.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Random thoughts:

- He can develop in Finland like Armia did.

- What do they make in that league? Is it more than the 70k salary and 92.5K signing bonus if he plays in the AHL?

-Wait until the KHL has teams across Europe. NHL teams will have to consider the "Russian factor" for ALL European players.
Salaries aren't really published, but numbers that are usually thrown out there are in the $100-200,000 range.
The way it usually works, AFAIK, is the NHL team pays the minor league salary and signing bonus, then the European club covers the remaining difference on what they committed to paying the player.

Also, this shouldn't really be news since it's just the way things work. ;)

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Salaries aren't really published, but numbers that are usually thrown out there are in the $100-200,000 range.
The way it usually works, AFAIK, is the NHL team pays the minor league salary and signing bonus, then the European club covers the remaining difference on what they committed to paying the player.

Also, this shouldn't really be news since it's just the way things work. ;)

Yeah, I agree, lots of players stay over (ie Armia, Selanne). But then Hampus Lindholm (Swe) came over last year to play in the AHL.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Yeah, I agree, lots of players stay over (ie Armia, Selanne). But then Hampus Lindholm (Swe) came over last year to play in the AHL.
From the looks of everything, the Lindholm situation was a fluke due to the lockout.
Anaheim signed him with the intention of having him try for a spot at camp, then stashed him in the AHL while they waited for the lockout to end, rather than sending him back to Rögle where they would not have been able to recall him.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
So Rochester still needs one more veteran Dman then.
Idk, I'd wait to hear the clarification from our staff first; ie. is it their preference he play in the AHL over SM-liiga and just need to dictate that to him, etc.

Hoppe has the quote:
Amateur scouting director Kevin Devine said last week Ristolainen had no European commitments and could play in the AHL with Rochester next season.

Ristolainen wasn’t sure, though.

“I think no,†he said about playing with the Americans. “I got a contract to my hometown team.â€

Stay tuned for more information on that.

The contract extension there isn't news.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Let him stay home for a year or two.

I know the Sabres probably would like him closer (a la Girgensons) playing in Rochester for development but he will develop in Finland too.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
At least let him stay this year, him leaving would make a difficult gap in our defense to fill. :)

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Man, you really do hate Tallinder. Unfortunately for you, he'll be in Buffalo this season.

He spent long stretches of last season as a healthy scratch. Why is it unreasonable to believe he could be assigned to Rochester?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I could see Sulzer or Tallinder losing out to McNabb in camp and being waived. Tallinder at his contract hit is much more likely to pass through.

Back to the issue of the Sabres chief of scouting not knowing Ristolainen's contract status for next year... Color me disturbed.

Karate Johnson*

He has a longer time to fulfill it because he plays hockey. He can complete it over his summers.

Admittedly I have no idea how thier mandatory military service works, but doesn't Armia play hockey too?

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I could see Sulzer or Tallinder losing out to McNabb in camp and being waived. Tallinder at his contract hit is much more likely to pass through.

Back to the issue of the Sabres chief of scouting not knowing Ristolainen's contract status for next year... Color me disturbed.

why do you say that? he said "Rasmus has no obligation to finland next season"...

which means he isn't obligated to play there, which is in fact correct.

EDIT; just saw that tweet, hmm

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Because of salary talinder would clear waivers to Rochester McBain wont.

If Buffalo buys him out of the contract then Buffalo can send him down to Rochester.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
He spent long stretches of last season as a healthy scratch. Why is it unreasonable to believe he could be assigned to Rochester?

They didn't bring in a $3.775m player to play in Rochester. If anyone goes to Rochester, it's going to be Sulzer. But given the lack of depth at forward, I wouldn't be surprised if they carry one spare forward, and two spare defensemen.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Re: Ristolainen in Rochester/Finland, I wouldn't be surprised if the organization's position is that the Sabres can buy him out of his Finnish contract, and, at that point, can do whatever they want with him. Whether that's a good practice or not is another question, but Pegula may be applying the "If I pay you off, why do you care?" card. Quintessentially American that T-Pegs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad