• Hughes now, Dahlin future

• Dahlin now, Hughes future

Results are only viewable after voting.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
What makes you say, “Easily Dahlin now?”

Dahlin is not that great defensively right now and I’d say he doesn’t control the game like Hughes at the moment.

I like Dahlin moving forward and relatively quickly, but Hughes is a more polished player at this point.
Even if you dont say he's "great", defensively, I still think he's better than Hughes. Hughes is probably more dynamic offensively right now but Dahlin has potential to be the best Dman in the league

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Even if you dont say he's "great", defensively, I still think he's better than Hughes. Hughes is probably more dynamic offensively right now but Dahlin has potential to be the best Dman in the league

I don’t think he’s better than Hughes defensively right now. He looks more green in his own end and not as poised under pressure.

Dahlin’s that dude moving forward though.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
How exactly is it Dahlin right now and "not particularly close"? Are you saying Dahlin was better than Hughes this season which isn't true and to imply that it's not even close is outright lunacy. Future I can understand due to potential.

No, I think he's a better player right now, and then you seem to agree that he'll be better in the future. I don't think it's that close either for now or the future. Dahlin was one of the most mismanaged players in the league this season. Don't blame him that his coach is a moron and he plays for the worst organization in the league. He put up another good season.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Lol I get a crack out of the posters saying Dahlin now and it’s not close. Hughes had the bigger impact for his team, had the better stats, is (currently) the better player. Get your heads out of your back ends.

Sure, Dahlin may be better down the line, but he’s not the better player now

Nipsey

Aug 8, 2018
Hughes is much better right now. Dahlin in the future as he has the highest ceiling among U24 dmen in the league including Heiskanen/Hughes/Makar. Though any of those 4 could turn out the best and all will be Norris contenders throughout their careers.

Last edited:

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Imagine how highly regarded Hughes would be if he was the exact same player but 6’2’’

While I still think Dahlin comfortably is the best and highest potential player of the "big 3" young defensemen of Hughes, Makar and Dahlin, I agree that Hughes is criminally underrated because of his height, despite being physically strong. Height is something I will never understand why people put so much weight on.

He is a great defensive player, just like Dahlin, but is considered mediocre defensively only because of his size, while anyone who understands the game can see that he is effective both in physical duels and using his stick. Height and physical ability are completely different, Hughes is a strong, physical player, and definitely a better defensive player than both Makar and Heiskanen, but people assume that size correlates with defensive and physical ability for some stupid reason, it is just ridiculous.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
I don't understand why Dahlin plays so few minutes in Buffalo, he's basically playing #3/4 minutes. 140 games in to his career and he still has games that he plays between 11 and 14 minutes in, does the coach have that little faith in his defensive ability?

Hughes - first year in the league - not a single game under 15 minutes played.
Makar - 2 games under 15 minutes but they were at the very start of the season, then 20+ minutes a night.
Hesikanen - Nothing under 20 minutes.
McAvoy - 2 games under 20 minutes.
Chabot - Nothing under 20 minutes, plays the most of all these guys.

Is Dahlin not capable of that yet? Some of these guys have less games played in the NHL than him, and the others are around the same number.

I voted for Hughes and I hate the canucks lol.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
While I still think Dahlin comfortably is the best and highest potential player of the "big 3" young defensemen of Hughes, Makar and Dahlin, I agree that Hughes is criminally underrated because of his height, despite being physically strong. Height is something I will never understand why people put so much weight on.

He is a great defensive player, just like Dahlin, but is considered mediocre defensively only because of his size, while anyone who understands the game can see that he is effective both in physical duels and using his stick. Height and physical ability are completely different, Hughes is a strong, physical player, and definitely a better defensive player than both Makar and Heiskanen, but people assume that size correlates with defensive and physical ability for some stupid reason, it is just ridiculous.
Couldn't agree more. How Hughes has developed this reputation as being poor defensively is laughable. In that case, you'd be ignoring both the eye test and analytics in favor of judging a player by his height. His stickwork, positioning and ability to close gaps quickly are very impressive for his age and he lead the Canucks in lowest rate of shot attempts, shots on goal, and expected goals against at 5-on-5 for much of the season. He plays in high-leverage situations and isn't sheltered, regularly playing 23-25 minutes a night. Hell, when Edmonton came to town, the Canucks matched Hughes up against none other than McDavid at 5-on-5.

You can tell by this thread alone that Hughes is viewed through a more biased lens than most.

Last edited:
Reactions: AB13

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I’d take Dahlin over any other young D. Hughes imo may very well end up being the second best and will definitely be in a select group of elite skating D behind Dahlin. But I can’t pass on Dahlin.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I love how everyone is saying Dahlin future. Did you all forget he's stuck in Buffalo?

Seriously though Hughes now and future unless Buffalo gets it shit together. Does anyone see that happening?

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I love how everyone is saying Dahlin future. Did you all forget he's stuck in Buffalo?

Seriously though Hughes now and future unless Buffalo gets it shit together. Does anyone see that happening?
Yeah Buffalo is a trash org but the cream usually rises to the top. I’m sure a couple years ago plenty of people would take Marner over Eichel because he had a better start to his career, statistically. But Eichel managed to fight his way through the diarrhea storm that is Buffalo and emerge as the clear cut better option and I think Dahlin will do the same.

Reactions: Paul4587

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland

I love how people attempt this schtick with Dahlin. He and the team will be more than fine.

I guess with this logic Heiskanen is doomed to forever be 4th (5th? 6th?) in the conversation for best young defensmen.

Seriously though Dahlin is really going to take most of you guys by surprise, even the the ones that don't doubt him.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I love how people attempt this schtick with Dahlin. He and the team will be more than fine.

I guess with this logic Heiskanen is doomed to forever be 4th (5th? 6th?) in the conversation for best young defensmen.

Seriously though Dahlin is really going to take most of you guys by surprise, even the the ones that don't doubt him.
Little touchy that sabres shining savior hasn't quite lived up to his hype huh? That's OK its not like he's bad there's just several other young defensemen, of which Hughes is one, who have proven they're better than him so far. You guys are starting to act like leaf fans anytime someone suggest he's not the end all be all that he was hyped up to be yet

Last edited:

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
Little touchy that sabres shining savior hasn't quite lived up to his hype huh? That's OK its not like he's bad there's just several other young defensemen, of which Hughes is one, who have proven they're better than him so far. You guys are starting to act like leaf fans anytime someone suggest he's not the end all be all that he was hyped up to be yet

I think he has perfectly lived up to the hype, and still looks to be the best D of the bunch, but I don't think that's really in question so it's not why I commented.

I only replied because of your uninformed opinion about the team.

Last edited:

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I think he has perfectly lived up to the hype, and still looks to be the best D of the bunch, but I don't think that's really in question so it's not why I commented.

Uninformed well let's just take a look here

25th in the league
27th in the league the year prior
31st
26th
23rd
30th
30th
23rd
19th
15th
11th.

That's a decade of bad.
The best player on the team recent lamanted he's tired of losing.
But yes the team is in good hands
Who cares that for 7 straight years They've lost more games than they've won in a league we're they don't even count ot losses as losses. I'm sure Kruger will figure it out this year.

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
Uninformed well let's just take a look here

25th in the league
27th in the league the year prior
31st
26th
23rd
30th
30th
23rd
19th
15th
11th.

That's a decade of bad.
The best player on the team recent lamanted he's tired of losing.
But yes the team is in good hands
Who cares that for 7 straight years They've lost more games than they've won in a league we're they don't even count ot losses as losses. I'm sure Kruger will figure it out this year.

What does the last decade have to do with the next (I'd honestly like someone to try and explain it)?

The rest of the post doesn't really have anything to do with the future of the Sabres either.

I don't think I could be much happier with the team going forward.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

I think it’s fair to say Dahlin hasn’t lived up to the hype to this point.

His draft hype was insane. He was touted as the Connor McDavid of defence and was likened to Lidstrom, except with more skill.

He’ll be fine and I full expect him to be the best D in the league at some point, but it’s been a little slower rise than many thought.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think it’s fair to say Dahlin hasn’t lived up to the hype to this point.

His draft hype was insane. He was touted as the Connor McDavid of defence and was likened to Lidstrom, except with more skill.

He’ll be fine and I full expect him to be the best D in the league at some point, but it’s been a little slower rise than many thought.

There are only 30 players in NHL history to score more points as a teenager than Dahlin, and only one was a defenseman. How is that not living up to the hype that he was touted?

Reactions: tricky and AB13

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
There are only 30 players in NHL history to score more points as a teenager than Dahlin, and only one was a defenseman. How is that not living up to the hype that he was touted?

I just don't see point scoring as the "end all, be all" for arguments when comparing defenseman, Dahlin doesn't really play many minutes and hasn't taken a step defensively yet that guys like Heiskanen, McAvoy, etc have. Yes, he puts up point, and he's a smooth skater but I truly don't think he's provided as big an impact as a Heiskanen for example who plays huge minutes every night, puts up respectable points and does it facing top competition while being a huge reason why his teams in a playoff spot.

No one can deny that Dahlin puts up points, but why isn't he playing even #2 dman minutes yet?

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

He had Connor McDavid hype and he hasn’t taken over games like McDavid to this point in his career. He’s not the two-way force he was touted to be yet.

He needs work on the defensive side, which is reasonable considering he’s so young. Again, I like him to be the top dog, but he wasn’t there this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad