• Dahlin now, Hughes future

Results are only viewable after voting.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Hughes now and Dahlin future.

I think Hughes has the edge right now, but Dahlin I think will end up being the best young dman, even if his defensive game has been lacking.

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
Hughes now and Dahlin future.

I think Hughes has the edge right now, but Dahlin I think will end up being the best young dman, even if his defensive game has been lacking.

Canucks fan that voted and feels the same.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
There aren't really any stats that say that Dahlin is better at this point:
TOI: Dahlin 19:18, Hughes 21.53
CF%: Dahlin 51.7, Hughes 52.7
OZS: Dahlin 58.6, Hughes 58.4
Point Shares: Dahlin O3.1 D2, Hughes O4.2, D2.3
Possession Quality: Dahlin -7, Hughes +.9
PPG: Dahlin .68, Hughes .78

Hughes is 6 months older, but this comparison is his rookie year vs. Dahlins sophomore. Dahlin has the huge edge physically at 6'3" 190,while Hughes is 5"10" 180.

I'd take Hughes for the Canucks right now, mainly because of the impact that he has had on the Canucks Power play. He completely changed that part of the Canucks game, which was sorely needed.

5 years from now when both are fully developed, I think Dahlin will have a slight edge in his overall game. Hughes doesn't have the defensive upside in his game that I think Dahlin does.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
How can anyone say Dahlin now? Hughes was better than him by every statical caterogry from advance stats to actually stats etc. Dahlin has that 1OA hype but among the big 4 young Dmen that came from the 2017/18 draft he has been the worst.

Reactions: JLFGoNicsGo11

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
How can anyone say Dahlin now? Hughes was better than him by every statical caterogry from advance stats to actually stats etc. Dahlin has that 1OA hype but among the big 4 young Dmen that came from the 2017/18 draft he has been the worst.

How exactly is it Dahlin right now and "not particularly close"? Are you saying Dahlin was better than Hughes this season which isn't true and to imply that it's not even close is outright lunacy. Future I can understand due to potential.

Points arent everything. Dahlin is far better defensively and I would be more comfortable with him as my #1D.

Also considering your name and pfp, I think you are on somebodies side here.

Also in your previous post, Dahlin is the worst from the 2017/18 Dmen? Thats strongly disagreeable.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Points arent everything. Dahlin is far better defensively and I would be more comfortable with him as my #1D.

Also considering your name and pfp, I think you are on somebodies side here.

Also in your previous post, Dahlin is the worst from the 2017/18 Dmen? Thats strongly disagreeable.

Why did you ignore the previous post that outline comparison without using points. No measure suggests that Dahlin was better than Hughes Defensively. As of right now no argument he's better than Heiskanen, Hughes and Makar. I do carry some Bias no doubt but it's not like I'm ignoring numbers or anything favouring Dahlin. Can you prove he's better than Hughes defensively? if you can then I'll concede

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Right now, it's very close. And for those that cite stats -- remember, Dahlin played on a (yet another) tire fire of a Sabres team.

In the future? Dahlin will be better overall, while Hughes will probably be a better offensive defenseman.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Why did you ignore the previous post that outline comparison without using points. No measure suggests that Dahlin was better than Hughes Defensively. As of right now no argument he's better than Heiskanen, Hughes and Makar.
No argument over those 3? You'd be hard pressed to find someone who agrees. Only one I can see being better than Dahlin right now is Heiskanen, but he isnt in this poll. I would much rather have a great 2-way Dman like Dahlin or Heiskanen rather than a small offensive Dman like Hughes or Makar.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
No argument over those 3? You'd be hard pressed to find someone who agrees. Only one I can see being better than Dahlin right now is Heiskanen, but he isnt in this poll. I would much rather have a great 2-way Dman like Dahlin or Heiskanen rather than a small offensive Dman like Hughes or Makar.

All four are great young D, probably the best wave of them coming into the league in the past 2 decades. Arguing who is better is really slitting hairs. With that said, I'd love to see how you can justify Dahlin as a "great 2-way Dman" and Hughes a "small offensive Dman". The stats show that Hughes was better on both sides of the ice, slightly defensively, considerably in the offensive zone.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
All four are great young D, probably the best wave of them coming into the league in the past 2 decades. Arguing who is better is really slitting hairs. With that said, I'd love to see how you can justify Dahlin as a "great 2-way Dman" and Hughes a "small offensive Dman". The stats show that Hughes was better on both sides of the ice, slightly defensively, considerably in the offensive zone.
I never said he was bad defensively. Just an offensive oriented dman. Dahlin is a better overall player in my eyes, but to each their own. I would just rather have Dahlin long term (as does most of the voters)

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Imagine how highly regarded Hughes would be if he was the exact same player but 6’2’’

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Dahlin until proven otherwise, although this was was essentially a toss up between the 2 with Hughes probably being the better of the 2

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
Dahlin's gonna put up 60 points next year while also being defensively responsible. he also isn't shy to throwing out a big hit which is a really underrated part of his game

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Imagine how highly regarded Hughes would be if he was the exact same player but 6’2’’

Yea, it's kind of funny. Even if he was a gentle giant. I think Hughes's size might limit his max defensive potential, but there's so much more to defense and so far he's shown to be more effective than Dahlin.

Anyone saying Dahlin is better defensively now is out to lunch.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I’ll go with Hughes now and Dahlin in the future.

Dahlin has the brightest future of any defenceman in the league, but Hughes was better this year.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Hughes now, Dahlin future

I think those that are voting "Dahlin now" are doing so off of reputation and not on-ice play. And all I can do is shake my head at those who think this isn't close.

Dahlin's gonna put up 60 points next year while also being defensively responsible. he also isn't shy to throwing out a big hit which is a really underrated part of his game
Which basically puts him on the level that Hughes performed at this season.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Easily Dahlin, now and future

What makes you say, “Easily Dahlin now?”

Dahlin is not that great defensively right now and I’d say he doesn’t control the game like Hughes at the moment.

I like Dahlin moving forward and relatively quickly, but Hughes is a more polished player at this point.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad