• Hughes now and future

• Dahlin now and future

• Hughes now, Dahlin future

• Dahlin now, Hughes future

Results are only viewable after voting.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
You can say Dahlin will be the best defenseman in the league soon, but man he is kind of overrated on here at this moment.

Hughes blew him out of the water this year, like...what are people talking about? :laugh:
Reputation and draft status.

As good as Dahlin has been, he was outshone by both Hughes and Makar this season. NHL.com just had Hughes in the top 10 for the Norris trophy, without any mention of Dahlin. No one is denying Dahlin's monster potential but the idea that he's clearly superior to Hughes right now, even though stats, analytics and the "eye test" don't back it up, is pretty off-base.

Reactions: Eegs

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I just don't see point scoring as the "end all, be all" for arguments when comparing defenseman, Dahlin doesn't really play many minutes and hasn't taken a step defensively yet that guys like Heiskanen, McAvoy, etc have. Yes, he puts up point, and he's a smooth skater but I truly don't think he's provided as big an impact as a Heiskanen for example who plays huge minutes every night, puts up respectable points and does it facing top competition while being a huge reason why his teams in a playoff spot.

No one can deny that Dahlin puts up points, but why isn't he playing even #2 dman minutes yet?

Don't blame him because his coach is a moron. Holding his minutes against him is ridiculous.

Reactions: tricky and AB13

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He had Connor McDavid hype and he hasn’t taken over games like McDavid to this point in his career. He’s not the two-way force he was touted to be yet.

He needs work on the defensive side, which is reasonable considering he’s so young. Again, I like him to be the top dog, but he wasn’t there this season.

If you are claiming he's the McDavid of defense, you have to adjust for the position. Defensemen take longer to make an impact than forwards, but Dahlin's impact compared to defensemen at his age is historically elite.

Reactions: Asymmetric Solution

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
If you are claiming he's the McDavid of defense, you have to adjust for the position. Defensemen take longer to make an impact than forwards, but Dahlin's impact compared to defensemen at his age is historically elite.

Dahlin was outperformed by two players from his own draft class this year.

I agree with your overall point though, which is why I’m so high on his upside.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
You can say Dahlin will be the best defenseman in the league soon, but man he is kind of overrated on here at this moment.

Hughes blew him out of the water this year, like...what are people talking about? :laugh:
It’s because he plays for Vancouver so f*** him. He’s being criminally underrated in here

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Dahlin was outperformed by two players from his own draft class this year.

Was he? I'm not sure I agree. Maybe Svechnikov outperformed him, but he also played on a much better team and was given a much bigger role. I wouldn't say its any more than maybe either, considering that Dahlin also had a pretty good season. I agree that it could've been better. He suffered an injury, he had an early season slump and he was given a very small role for a terrible team, but he was still pretty good. People love to exaggerate the season he had. He definitely didn't fail to live up to expectations this season. He didn't win the Norris in his second season, but I don't think his stock changed from this season.

I'm not buying, at all, that Hughes was better.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Was he? I'm not sure I agree. Maybe Svechnikov outperformed him, but he also played on a much better team and was given a much bigger role. I wouldn't say its any more than maybe either, considering that Dahlin also had a pretty good season. I agree that it could've been better. He suffered an injury, he had an early season slump and he was given a very small role for a terrible team, but he was still pretty good. People love to exaggerate the season he had. He definitely didn't fail to live up to expectations this season. He didn't win the Norris in his second season, but I don't think his stock changed from this season.

I think Svechnikov and Hughes were better this year. I don’t think it will last, but they played huge roles in helping lead their teams to the playoffs.

Dahlin doesn’t get extra points because of his draft hype. He had a solid season, but he wasn’t as much of a difference maker as those guys.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
Buffalo was one Cernak elbow away from making the playoffs. Took Dahlin a while to recover from that injury. If it never happened, doubt this would even be a conversation.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Ralph Kreuger is kind of an idiot.
He is sheltering Dahlin to a level that I would question if he is trying to get fired.

He is dead last on the Buffalo sabres defense in his minutes % against the other teams top forwards.

But this season, Hughes had a better season, and there really isn't much discussion either. I dont know why people in this thread are saying Dahlin AINEC, you don't have a leg to stand on if this thread is just judging this season.

Predicting players in the future, Gosh I dont know, maybe dahlin but its tough.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007

Maybe provide evidence?

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Voted Hughes now, Dahlin future.

Hughes past season was better than either of Dahlin's in the NHL so far IMO.

Going forward I think it has a chance to go either way, b/c Hughes is more of a unicorn than Dahlin, but with the size/two-way potential I'd still give that to Dahlin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad