Player Discussion Rasmus Andersson breakout

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
With Brodie gone does Rasmus have a real chance to hit 50 points ever? I don’t watch him ever but thinking of taking him in a draft that you keep a player for 7 years. Hoping to get some feeedback on what really is his upside in points. It’s a points only pool. Thanks!!

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
With Brodie gone does Rasmus have a real chance to hit 50 points ever? I don’t watch him ever but thinking of taking him in a draft that you keep a player for 7 years. Hoping to get some feeedback on what really is his upside in points. It’s a points only pool. Thanks!!

It’s tough to say, he has the ability and he’s going to get a huge opportunity this year. So a breakout would not surprise me in the slightest. So yes he has the skill and he going to get the minutes this season, even likely top PP unit unless we sign someone else. The thing is, he hasn’t done it yet and it’s tough to say what his upside is. I think hands down he’s a guy who can put up 30pts a season as his floor. I’m not sure he’s a 50pt dman, but I think if all goes right for him he can flirt with 40pts or maybe more over the next few seasons.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

Probably not, as it appears Gio and Hanifin will be the beneficiaries. Maybe when Valimaki and Andersson are paired up at one point?

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

A little cherrypicky with the stat window, but I have really liked his play almost all year. Between Andersson, Kylington, and Tanev we really have three #1-calibre defensemen. Hanifin's a little bit shaky compared to the other three but even he's been playing at a nearly-top-pair level. Then add in Zadorov and Gudbranson rounding out the group and I don't even think it is homerish to say this is the Best D core the league has seen the days when Josi, Subban, Ellis, and Ekholm were all simultaneously at their peak.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Andersson is the Flames defensemen most-built for the playoffs. Ever since the Flames have got into a stretch of tough opponents coming out of COVID, he has stepped up big time. He's able to use his size, anticipate plays to keep the line or break up cycles, and generally move the puck well without the propensity to be bullied by other teams forwards in front of the net. Kind of like Lindholm in that regard, just a strong, smart player that reads the play and can use his body effectively. Bar none my favourite Flames player

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Andersson is the Flames defensemen most-built for the playoffs. Ever since the Flames have got into a stretch of tough opponents coming out of COVID, he has stepped up big time. He's able to use his size, anticipate plays to keep the line or break up cycles, and generally move the puck well without the propensity to be bullied by other teams forwards in front of the net. Kind of like Lindholm in that regard, just a strong, smart player that reads the play and can use his body effectively. Bar none my favourite Flames player

Ras and Tanev are the two guys that I think will be incredibly important come playoff time.

That entire top 6 plays important roles.

Razzy is that all purpose #1D that’ll chip in 2 points over 3 games.

Tanev is that Defence first guy that’ll be tasked to shutdown the hardest opponents every night, and own the battle doing it.

Hanifin is that not flashy, but fairly consistent 2/3 guy. He’s had his struggles this year too, but makes a good partner for Andersson. Makes a lot of good small plays that most people won’t notice.

Kylington is a great 4, who has found some great chemistry with Tanev. He’s cooled off big time since the start of the season and seems to be struggling with control recently, but he’s consistent enough to play with Tanev and add that element of transition that the top 4 don’t really have in spades.

Guddy and Zad have been incredible. Early in this thread I was pumping Ras/Fanta; but this is the best bottom pair we’ve had in Calgary in… like ever. They play at the level of a second pair, consistent 18 minute guys who are asked to be hard on people and give 18+ minutes a night.

Stone, I wasn’t sold on as the #7 guy; but he’s the man. Perfect guy for the role, Calgary doesn’t need to invest in anything further.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
He has been a lot better this year. I was concerned big time when he was bottom pairing caliber last year, but I think he is solidifying himself as a top pairing dman. That contract is looking line a steal rn.

Helps his partner isn't slow either. I'm stunned Ward put Gio-Andy and Hanifin-Tanev as our top 4. It made perfect sense if Gio and Hanifin were swapped the whole time.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Been really strong defensively. His point totals are deceiving though
Don't you dare tell me that an okay skating defencemen who should be scoring through getting in on odd-man rushes or getting shots through traffic is benefitting heavily from playing on a stacked 1st powerplay unit where he is the least important piece where all he has to do is distribute to elite wingers. You'd be completely right in saying it, but I refuse to acknowledge it

Reactions: Mobiandi

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Don't you dare tell me that an okay skating defencemen who should be scoring through getting in on odd-man rushes or getting shots through traffic is benefitting heavily from playing on a stacked 1st powerplay unit where he is the least important piece where all he has to do is distribute to elite wingers. You'd be completely right in saying it, but I refuse to acknowledge it

I feel like a lot of our D is more or less 'I made a nice first pass out of my zone, and Johnny and Lindy or Johnny and Chucky, or Chuck and Lindy made a nice passing play that ended up in the back of the net' :laugh:

We only have 26 goals from the defence; while don't get me wrong, isn't a bad number, but here's what the 80+ point teams have:

Panthers: 35
Lightning: 31
Avs: 51
Hurricanes: 32

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Kylington has 7 goals without significant PP1 time. Flames are playing with one hand behind the back by not putting him out there.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
5 games into the season, Rasmus Andersson is now averaging 24:05 minutes a night and is over a point per game with 6 in 5 contests. Just by eye test alone he appears to have taken another step this year, and his work on the PP has been nothing short of phenomenal. If he keeps this up the league is going to start taking notice of what he is becoming.

Reactions: 23Monahan

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
His possession metrics haven’t been great so far to be fair, so I’d be keeping an eye out on that.

On the other hand, his offensive game has taken another step this year.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Fancy stats are getting there. Above 51%, though he is still well below average. Playing a ton of minutes though. 13 pts in 15 games.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
He looks amazing! I think he’s settling into that 2nd tier just under franchise elite dmen.

I always feel vindicated when I think of Razzy.
I went to, either his D+1 or D+2 rookie showcase scrimmage at WinSport; and even then the guy was clearly the best defender on the ice. At that time I compared him to Keith in terms of how he handled the game. He's settled to never being that offensive guy, but man, a complete D for sure.

Calgary needs to get healthy and they'll start cooking again with that backend leading the charge.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad